Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Chase MP Explorer Card (Q&A, Benefits, Bonuses, Discussion, ....)

Old Aug 8, 2014, 4:50 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
8/8/14 Here's the "fine print" regarding those who have received a bonus from this product in the past:

I understand that any new cardmember bonus offers for this product are not available to either current or previous cardmembers of this product who received a new cardmember bonus for this product in the last 24 months.
I understand that the terms of my account, including the APRs, are subject to change. Any such changes will be made in accordance with the Cardmember Agreement.

If you received the bonus >24 months ago you are eligible to apply. Doesn't matter when you closed the card.

Major Benefits (post-June 2018)
  • Free first checked a bag - The primary Cardmember and one companion traveling on the same reservation will each receive their first standard checked bag free on United-operated flights when the primary Cardmember includes their MileagePlus number in their reservation and purchases their tickets from United with their United MileagePlus Explorer Card. For complete details, please visit united.com/chasebag .
  • Priority boarding - Primary Cardmembers and their companions on the same reservation will be invited to board United-operated flights prior to general boarding. (BG2)
  • No fees on foreign transactions
  • 2 United ClubSM passes each year for your travel
  • Access to XN expanded Economy Saver award inventory (not a published benefit)
  • Chip-enabled Card provides added security
  • Earn 2 miles per $1 spent on tickets purchased from United.
  • Earn 2 miles per $1 spent at restaurants and hotels (NEW)
  • Earn 1 mile per $1 spent - You'll earn 1 mile for each $1 spent on all other purchases.
  • Miles don't expire as long as your credit card account remains open - Your miles don't expire as long as you are a Cardmember, with no limit to the number of miles you can earn. UA miles not longer expire
  • Any seat, any time, on United-operated flights - Primary Cardmembers can use their miles to book any available seat, any time, on United-operated flights when they redeem
  • CPU award ticket eligibility for primary cardholder (only) if MP elite
  • Carryon bag allowed with Boarding Group 2 even if Basic Economy ticket
  • 25% statement credit "rebate" on purchases of food, beverages, and wifi on United-operated flights (NEW)
  • Global Entry / Pre-application statement credit rebate up to $100 once every four years. (NEW)

Cuts as of June 2018Purchase Price Protection - removed
Return Protection - removed
Trip Cancellation/Trip Interruption Insurance - reduced

10,000 bonus miles for $25K spend will no longer be available after May 31, 2018.Those who spend $10,000-$24,999 by May 31 will receive 4,000 bonus miles this year only.

New benefits2 miles per $1 spent at restaurants and hotels
25% statement credit "rebate" on purchases of food, beverages, and wifi on United-operated flights
Global Entry / Pre-application statement credit rebate up to $100 once every four years.
Print Wikipost

Old Jul 19, 2011, 5:25 am
Company Representative, United Airlines
Original Poster

Hi Everyone, as you are now well aware, we’re introducing an all-new MileagePlus Explorer Card, which will replace our MileagePlus Signature card from this point forward. Based on the success of the OnePass Plus card, we’ve come up with an unmatched set of features designed to make to travel experience better - at the airport and beyond.

Here are the key benefits and details:
  • First checked bag free – Cardmembers and up to one traveling companion will receive their first checked bag free when traveling on United and Continental – worth up to $100 per roundtrip.

• Priority boarding – Beginning July 23, 2011, Cardmembers will be able to board United and Continental flights immediately after elites and prior to general boarding, so they have earlier access to overhead space and can relax as the rest of the plane boards.
    Worth noting: We know how important boarding is and this benefit has been carefully designed so as to not impact the priority boarding benefit enjoyed by elite members. Having said this, when traveling on Continental-operated flights Cardmembers will temporarily have “EliteAccess” printed on their boarding pass and will board via the carpeted lane. This will only be until our systems are updated to support a zoned boarding process (coming soon).
  • United airport club passes – Each year, Cardmembers will receive two United airport club passes on their membership anniversary date – a $100 value.

• Upgrades on Reward tickets for Elites – MileagePlus Elite customers who are also Cardmembers are eligible to receive upgrades on domestic reward tickets in the same way as with purchased tickets beginning in early 2012.

• Redeem MileagePlus miles for any seat, any time, on any United flight – If seats are available for sale, they can be redeemed at the Standard Award level. There are no restrictions or blackout dates – a benefit that will be reserved for Cardmembers and Elite travelers beginning in early 2012.
    Worth noting: Yes, this does mean last-seat availability for EasyPass/Standard awards will be limited to Cardmembers and Elite members in the new program.
  • Double miles on United tickets – Cardmembers will earn two miles per $1 spent on tickets purchased with the Card from United and Continental.

• Miles bonus – 10,000 additional bonus miles with $25,000 or more in eligible spend each calendar year.

• Miles do not expire – Miles earned in the MileagePlus program by Explorer Cardmembers will not expire as long as program members are MileagePlus Explorer Cardmembers.

• Access to exclusive events and unique activities with Inside Access from Chase.

• Access to The Luxury Hotel and Resorts Collection, which offers exclusive cardmember amenities such as complimentary breakfast and space-available upgrades at a selection of over 700 of the finest hotels, resorts, lodges and spas around the world.
Already have a OnePass MasterCard or MileagePlus Visa? As an existing MileagePlus Card member, you may keep your account and annual fee as is, or you may be eligible to switch over to the MileagePlus Explorer card. To request a trade, simply call the number on the back of your card. If you’re a OnePass Plus Card member, the benefits are effectively the same so there’s no need to make the change. You will receive the new United-branded plastic automatically next year.

To learn more, and to apply for the card, please visit UnitedExplorerCard.com.

I’m sure there are many questions out there. Please post them here and we’ll do our best to answer. As always, thanks for your feedback!

Shannon Kelly
Director, Customer Insights & Metrics
United Airlines
Old Jul 19, 2011, 5:27 am

Originally Posted by UA Insider
[*]Priority boarding – Beginning July 23, 2011, Cardmembers will be able to board United and Continental flights immediately after elites and prior to general boarding, so they have earlier access to overhead space and can relax as the rest of the plane boards.
Worth noting: We know how important boarding is and this benefit has been carefully designed so as to not impact the priority boarding benefit enjoyed by elite members. Having said this, when traveling on Continental-operated flights Cardmembers will temporarily have “EliteAccess” printed on their boarding pass and will board via the carpeted lane. This will only be until our systems are updated to support a zoned boarding process (coming soon).

Looks like elite boarding will be done via zoned boarding (hopefully very soon).

Would've liked more NEW information about the MP program though.
Old Jul 19, 2011, 5:35 am

Programs: UA 1K MM
[*]Upgrades on Reward tickets for Elites – MileagePlus Elite customers who are also Cardmembers are eligible to receive upgrades on domestic reward tickets in the same way as with purchased tickets beginning in early 2012.
Is this benefit unique to cardholders or will all United elites be able to upgrade reward tickets in 2012? I don't see any mention of this benefit on the link you provided.
Old Jul 19, 2011, 5:41 am

Programs: Over-entitled UA 1.3MM Gold, AA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott L-T Plat, Hertz PC
Fee Waiver

Scott:

Annual fee waiver for 1Ks?????
Old Jul 19, 2011, 5:42 am

Originally Posted by rch4u
Is this benefit unique to cardholders or will all United elites be able to upgrade reward tickets in 2012? I don't see any mention of this benefit on the link you provided.
It is likely unique to cardholders, similar to CO's policy now. Although hopefully next year it is processed a little better than it is now.
Old Jul 19, 2011, 5:44 am

Programs: UA peon (+decades 1K), AA Exec Plt
Originally Posted by rch4u
That would be nice. The waived check bag fee, free passes, priority boarding and never expiring miles is a non gain for FFs with minimal elite status and club membership.
Old Jul 19, 2011, 5:48 am

Programs: UA peon (+decades 1K), AA Exec Plt
Originally Posted by Billiken
Scott:

Annual fee waiver for 1Ks?????
It would be kinda mysterious why they would want to give $100s of dollars a year away to every kettle flyer and charge the 1Ks an annual fee.
Old Jul 19, 2011, 5:57 am

So, for the perspective of a 1k:

Pros:

UDU on Award Tickets
United Club Passes
Additional mileage beyond $25,000

Cons:

2 points vs 3 for UACO purchases
No more EQM options

Not yet clear:

Fee waiver for 1k's

Irrelevant:

Baggage fee
Boarding priority
Last available seat (though I hope this doesn't mean expanding availability of the 1k saver award inventory)
Expiration ($95 a year quite the upkeep fee anyways)

Am I missing anything?

Domestic UDU would be nice on awards, but I never redeem domestically anyways. If there's no fee waiver I'm out.
Old Jul 19, 2011, 6:00 am

Programs: CO Platinum / BA Gold
Hi Everyone, as you are now well aware, we’re introducing an all-new MileagePlus Explorer Card, which will replace our MileagePlus Signature card from this point forward.
Please can you introduce a UK card that doesn't suck? Ours is one mile per $1.60 with no other benefits at all.

Even the BA card is better!
Old Jul 19, 2011, 6:07 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: UA-1P AB-Gold SPG-Plat Hilton-DIA Hyatt-DIA PC-Gold MR-Plat Hertz-PC
Indeed please also take a look at your European card offerings! A Dutch or German card with these benefits would be nice! Now United is really shortcoming their international customers by offering all these benefits USA only.
Old Jul 19, 2011, 6:42 am
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Quick question regarding upgrades on domestic reward flights for cardholders who are also elites...

Will we be able to enjoy this benefit on the domestic segments as part of an international award itinerary?

Let's say I am flying on an award ticket to FRA and will fly on UA LAX-ORD connecting to LH ORD-FRA, will I be able to upgrade on LAX-ORD? Or is this benefit strictly only for domestic award itineraries?

What about on a three cabin aircraft? If I am booked on a Business class award and I am flying on a three cabin aircraft from say LAX-IAD, will I be eligible to upgrade from Business to First just like a revenue ticket??

The only real long term downfall for US based flyers I see here is that we only earn 2 miles per $1 rather than 3 miles... But again, that helps keep the value of miles stronger and thank you for not going a la Delta where Skymiles are given away like M&M candies and have been diluted to being nearly worthless... Also thank you for not giving away free EQMs, which will help protect the elite pools and our benefits as elites.
Old Jul 19, 2011, 6:52 am

Yes. It should apply to domestic routes as long as it is UA or CO.
Old Jul 19, 2011, 6:57 am

Programs: UA 1K & 1MM/AA Gold & 1MM/HH Gold/Marriott Titanium
Does this replace the Platinum Class Visa Signature? If so, I'm going to be really pissed as I depend upon the 10,000 EQMs I get annually from my card.
Old Jul 19, 2011, 7:16 am

Originally Posted by TWA Guy
Does this replace the Platinum Class Visa Signature? If so, I'm going to be really pissed as I depend upon the 10,000 EQMs I get annually from my card.
Sounds like at least for now you'll be able to keep the Signature card you already have. We'll see what moves they try to get people to switch voluntarily.

I have the same card as you and I'm keeping it.
Old Jul 19, 2011, 7:20 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, UA Gold
Hi Everyone, as you are now well aware, we’re introducing an all-new MileagePlus Explorer Card, which will replace our MileagePlus Signature card from this point forward. Based on the success of the OnePass Plus card, we’ve come up with an unmatched set of features designed to make to travel experience better - at the airport and beyond.

Here are the key benefits and details:
  • First checked bag free – Cardmembers and up to one traveling companion will receive their first checked bag free when traveling on United and Continental – worth up to $100 per roundtrip.

• Priority boarding – Beginning July 23, 2011, Cardmembers will be able to board United and Continental flights immediately after elites and prior to general boarding, so they have earlier access to overhead space and can relax as the rest of the plane boards.
  • United airport club passes – Each year, Cardmembers will receive two United airport club passes on their membership anniversary date – a $100 value.

• Upgrades on Reward tickets for Elites – MileagePlus Elite customers who are also Cardmembers are eligible to receive upgrades on domestic reward tickets in the same way as with purchased tickets beginning in early 2012.

• Redeem MileagePlus miles for any seat, any time, on any United flight – If seats are available for sale, they can be redeemed at the Standard Award level. There are no restrictions or blackout dates – a benefit that will be reserved for Cardmembers and Elite travelers beginning in early 2012.
    Worth noting: Yes, this does mean last-seat availability for EasyPass/Standard awards will be limited to Cardmembers and Elite members in the new program.
  • Double miles on United tickets – Cardmembers will earn two miles per $1 spent on tickets purchased with the Card from United and Continental.

• Miles bonus – 10,000 additional bonus miles with $25,000 or more in eligible spend each calendar year.

• Miles do not expire – Miles earned in the MileagePlus program by Explorer Cardmembers will not expire as long as program members are MileagePlus Explorer Cardmembers.

• Access to exclusive events and unique activities with Inside Access from Chase.

• Access to The Luxury Hotel and Resorts Collection, which offers exclusive cardmember amenities such as complimentary breakfast and space-available upgrades at a selection of over 700 of the finest hotels, resorts, lodges and spas around the world.
Already have a OnePass MasterCard or MileagePlus Visa? As an existing MileagePlus Card member, you may keep your account and annual fee as is, or you may be eligible to switch over to the MileagePlus Explorer card. To request a trade, simply call the number on the back of your card. If you’re a OnePass Plus Card member, the benefits are effectively the same so there’s no need to make the change. You will receive the new United-branded plastic automatically next year.

To learn more, and to apply for the card, please visit UnitedExplorerCard.com.

I’m sure there are many questions out there. Please post them here and we’ll do our best to answer. As always, thanks for your feedback!

Shannon Kelly
Director, Customer Insights & Metrics
United Airlines

Thanks Shannon!

Uh-oh, looks like expiring mileage is staying, hope it's at least the current UAs policy....

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.