Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

ANA 787 config revealed; will UA get throne in C...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24, 2011, 7:11 pm
Original Poster

ANA debuted its configuration for the 787. 2 class, with 8 abreast. Looks fine in coach, though if I remember the Continental legacy speculation that one is going 9 (ugh) across.

http://www.newairplane.com

No First on this bird, but C has a layout that looks kind of awkward. It's 1/2/1 in half the rows, 1/1/1 in the others....with the center '1' earning a massive throne that has large shelves on either side. More room than some first products laterally but tight fit to get yourself in and out of the seat on either side.

One thing to recall from the initial Continental specification is that they planned to have the window seats actually face the window to a large degree. That's not the case in the ANA layout and not the case in the mockup Continental has been trotting around, though that one seems to just use the 757/777 seat already in service.

http://blog.seattlepi.com/aerospace/...t-window-seat/
Old Jun 24, 2011, 7:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
While we are on the subject

LOT released their 787 configuration today as well

C/Y+/Y - looks a lot like the newest Turkish 777.
Y+ looks like United old Business
Old Jun 24, 2011, 7:24 pm

Programs: CO Plat; UA 1K; EK Gold
I like the throne.
Old Jun 24, 2011, 7:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Throne seats are similar to what LX does with the even A seats on the a330/340 - you get the benefit of a bonus side table. Almost like a poor man's F suite.
Old Jun 24, 2011, 8:41 pm
Suspended

Crown?
Old Jun 24, 2011, 8:53 pm

Looks like a good layout. This is similar to their new staggered layout, and gives higher density than a 2-2-2 would. Everyone gets aisle access, and they probably find that the majority of c class bookings are singles, not couples, so the limited number of pairs is not a problem.
Old Jun 24, 2011, 9:43 pm

Programs: Delta PM Hilton Diamond Bonvoy Ti/LTP Hertz PC
Looks like a huge amount of space spent on the shelves and not as much seat width as you'd like. I mean it's an awesome plane and I'll be excited to fly in it one way or the other, but it sure would look better with roomier seats up front, if not suites
Old Jun 24, 2011, 9:46 pm

Programs: UA 2P
I doubt United would chose a herringbone style seat for the 787 considering their current lie-flat seats don't follow that style. I think the 787 seats will be pretty similar to the current BusinessFirst seats, most likely in a 2-2-2 layout like LOT Airlines' configuration.

I'm curious to see however how or even if the outboard seats will still "face the window" like they were originally planned to.
Old Jun 24, 2011, 10:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Pleb, HH Gold, PWP General Secretary
If two class I would expect to see the plane in a 2-1-2 config, similar to the 767s, with the new CO seats.
Old Jun 24, 2011, 11:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Priority Club Plat
Originally Posted by colpuck
If two class I would expect to see the plane in a 2-1-2 config, similar to the 767s, with the new CO seats.
Since the 787 is almost as wide as the 777 (same 3-3-3 in back), and that the aisles in the current 777 in BF seem fairly wide, I don't see why they can't put in 2-2-2 with the current seats. In fact, the manufacturer of the current seats probably have the 787 as its main target design, since these seats were supposed to go on the 787 even before the 777 (before all the Boeing delays).

sbm12 had previously done a lot of calculations about how CO would fit the announced number of seats on their 787. He can probably provide with more info.
Old Jun 25, 2011, 12:13 am

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Originally Posted by greathustle
Looks like a huge amount of space spent on the shelves and not as much seat width as you'd like. I mean it's an awesome plane and I'll be excited to fly in it one way or the other, but it sure would look better with roomier seats up front, if not suites
The shelves simply represent the footwell area of another seat. I'll reserve final judgment for if I ever happen to fly ANA C, but it seems a much preferable option to UA C which lacks both direct aisle access (especially in the 2-4-2 config) and width.
Old Jun 25, 2011, 1:44 am

Programs: United 1K MM, QR Platinum
I hope the new United 787 considers adding suites similar to that offered by Jet or Singapore; even if there are fewer of them up front, for some segments an internationally competitive first product makes a lot of sense.

In business, I guess we should not expect much of a change given the focus on the merger etc.

In economy plus, I hope they consider adding more features, perhaps power in seats and ipod connectivity
Old Jun 25, 2011, 2:50 am

Programs: All statuses lapsed; now I'm just a free-agent, and loving it!
It is great to see ANA configured in 8 across 2-4-2. Much preferable to the 9-across 3-3-3, no matter what kind of smoke most airlines try to blow about adding an extra seat in each row being equally comfortable.

It's nice to sit with the spouse together, without one of us being forced to take a center seat (as is the case in 3-3-3). It's just not likely to happen that you'll have an empty seat next to you in these days of high load factors.

As you can see in the other example, LOT went 9 across in economy.
Old Jun 25, 2011, 6:27 am

I like the window in the Throne Room.
Old Jun 25, 2011, 6:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by gengar
The shelves simply represent the footwell area of another seat. I'll reserve final judgment for if I ever happen to fly ANA C, but it seems a much preferable option to UA C which lacks both direct aisle access (especially in the 2-4-2 config) and width.
I flew Biz Staggered JFK-NRT and it is simply awesome. Seat partitions are high so you can look around and not see anyone else. Incredibly private. I'm not short / thin by any means and I found myself with plenty of room. Everyone having aisle access is great too.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.