Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

DL RJs getting Wifi in 2011. Where is UA?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13, 2011, 7:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium

There’s no stopping the spread of in-flight Wi-Fi. Now even the smaller planes within Delta’s fleet will provided access to the Internet from high in the skies.

According to Jaunted, Delta Air Lines will be adding Wi-Fi connections to its Connection Carriers regional fleet beginning next year. The project is expected to be completed by the end of 2011...
Read more below:
http://www.zdnet.com/blog/gadgetrevi...e_skin;content

UA really seems to have dropped the ball when it comes to Wifi, which is pretty disappointing. I would love to at least see it on PMUA aircraft, even if they just outfitted more of the 757s.
Old Jun 13, 2011, 9:09 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus dirt (former hard-way Silver); AS Mileage Plan MVP; Hilton Honors Silver
Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
Read more below:
http://www.zdnet.com/blog/gadgetrevi...e_skin;content

UA really seems to have dropped the ball when it comes to Wifi, which is pretty disappointing. I would love to at least see it on PMUA aircraft, even if they just outfitted more of the 757s.
If I had to hazard a guess, I'd say UCH is waiting for the combined operating certificate before they start seeking new certifications for LiveTV equipment (including WiFi) so as to avoid submitting duplicate certification requests for PMUA and PMCO aircraft...
Old Jun 13, 2011, 10:26 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA GP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Lifetime Plat, Marriott Gold
I'm surprised ...

... that this wifi thing isn't getting more press in among those bemoaning UA's future. I hate having to make connections on my monthly BOS-LAX/SFO runs, costly YMB international upgrades and Skypesos, but it's the wifi situation that's really drawing me over to DL. With wifi, I land with an empty inbox and thus time to relax and maybe even - gasp - have fun. I can be responsive to clients (if I choose to), and I can even do some new biz prospecting. Bottom line, I get more done and have more time to relax afterward, when there's wifi on board.

Why is UA moving so slowly?
Old Jun 13, 2011, 10:45 pm

Programs: UA 1K, CO Plat, NW Plat, Marriott Premiere Plat, SPG Plat, Priority Gold, Hilton Gold
I believe CO had an agreement to start rolling out JetBlue's version of WiFi in 2012. Whether that survived the merger, I don't know.

But I agree, the lack of WiFi on CO/UA is painful, and the airline is really lagging the industry in that regard. I'm fortunate enough to have an exceedingly flexible schedule, so I just move my sleep to occur on the plane, but that doesn't work for most business travelers.
Old Jun 13, 2011, 11:00 pm

Programs: UA 2P
While United is still far behind Delta, they will at least begin installation of satellite-based wifi on PMCO DirecTV aircraft (so over 200 737s and 753s) starting sometime this summer. See this thread for more info: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/conti...quipped-c.html
Old Jun 13, 2011, 11:05 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
So how much work/surfing Flyertalk can one actually get done on a Cee-ARRRRRRGHHHH-Jay as even in F, there ain't a lot of room
Old Jun 13, 2011, 11:55 pm

Programs: UA-G MM, Priority Club Platinum, Avis First, Hertz 5*, Red Lion
Originally Posted by goalie
So how much work/surfing Flyertalk can one actually get done on a Cee-ARRRRRRGHHHH-Jay as even in F, there ain't a lot of room
easy, with a wi-fi equipped mobile device or tablet
Old Jun 14, 2011, 1:32 am

Programs: UA life 1K, 2MM; AA Life Pt 3mm; DL nada now!; AS nada now; BA, FD, CX, LH, DD, Amex Pt, Diners
Yes where the heck is UA

I flew DL the other day for the first time in years. Oh, what a shock. I fell out with DL over closing the local (not Austin) club room and not giving me a prorated refund. Well I decided I had punished them for long enough and have decided to fly DL as there are some routes that really suit me. What a shock. I always remember DL as a lot classier than the other airlines and gee my memory was not wrong. Row after after row of first in an RJ. Meals in an RJ. Wifi on the 737. Where is UA on all this. Light years behind it seems. I also flew AA for the first time in ages the other day. Similar feeling though they are cheap compared to DL. I had not realized how far behind my friends at UA have slipped. Time for Mr S to get with the program.

Last edited by UAAAPeter; Jun 14, 2011 at 1:33 am Reason: error
Old Jun 14, 2011, 2:41 am

Programs: UA1K/RCC, Avis CHM, NWA Plat, SPG Plat
Not sure how I could open a laptop and do some work on an CR2... I barely fit in the seat.
Old Jun 14, 2011, 4:03 am

Programs: Whatever gets me there faster.
Originally Posted by dimramon
Not sure how I could open a laptop and do some work on an CR2... I barely fit in the seat.
I have a 15", and what I have to do is rotate the body up a few degrees. I wouldn't recommend it for heavy work, but since I only watch movies, I tend to not care. It would be much better in E+, though. I can completely fold out the laptop, and not worry about the guy in front of me.
Old Jun 14, 2011, 5:33 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by rhodeweary
..., but it's the wifi situation that's really drawing me over to DL. ...
Why is UA moving so slowly?
You are one of few based on most surveys of the adoption rates of the technology.

And, FWIW, I would frequently clean out my inbox on flights 5-6 years ago thanks to the glory of caching. When I landed everything would sync up. Sure, I'd get a few new messages in the interim and the replies I was sending would be more entertaining as I drank more en route, but it worked quite well and folks didn't panic at the fact that the response showed up 3 hours later.
Originally Posted by raehl311
I believe CO had an agreement to start rolling out JetBlue's version of WiFi in 2012. Whether that survived the merger, I don't know.
It did. The intent to move forward with that plan was reiterated in March.

Supposedly the new Ka-band system will be lighter (and therefore cheaper to operate) and faster for customers. They still have to get the bird into orbit though. Just like the previous CO plans to use the Kiteline system from LiveTV that fell apart when LiveTV couldn't get the antennae to work right.
Old Jun 14, 2011, 9:53 am

AA also just annouced they will provide F paxs Samsung Galaxy tablets on select domestic/international flights. JFK-LAX/SFO, MIA-LAX, BOS-LAX and international 763 flights from JFK/MIA

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/btl/samsun...results-rivers

I also believe AA is expanding their wifi program to additional aircraft. And here we have CO still receiving new aircraft with no IFE due to this never ending seat issue.

I still think that with any type of Wifi we need AC outlets as well.
Old Jun 14, 2011, 11:18 am

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
Originally Posted by Critic
If I had to hazard a guess, I'd say UCH is waiting for the combined operating certificate before they start seeking new certifications for LiveTV equipment (including WiFi) so as to avoid submitting duplicate certification requests for PMUA and PMCO aircraft...
UA/CO do not fly any RJs. UX does. So this is irrelevant.

Since DL connection carriers make up some of the UX carriers, I would say that UA could implement this if they wanted to, pretty quickly. Not sure that I am too interested in it though. It involves paying money for WiFi on a (typically) short trip.
Old Jun 14, 2011, 11:33 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus dirt (former hard-way Silver); AS Mileage Plan MVP; Hilton Honors Silver
Originally Posted by CPMaverick
UA/CO do not fly any RJs. UX does. So this is irrelevant.

Since DL connection carriers make up some of the UX carriers, I would say that UA could implement this if they wanted to, pretty quickly. Not sure that I am too interested in it though. It involves paying money for WiFi on a (typically) short trip.
The OP wasn't talking exclusively about RJs, so the point is still valid:
Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
UA really seems to have dropped the ball when it comes to Wifi, which is pretty disappointing. I would love to at least see it on PMUA aircraft, even if they just outfitted more of the 757s
I'm not sure I get why everyone's making such a big deal about wi-fi. Frankly, I look forward to being on a flight without wifi, because it means that for however many hours, I can be blissfully disconnected from my job and the world. I'm in no hurry to Tweet from 30k feet, and the connections aren't usually fast enough to allow for streaming media. (That's when you can get them to work at all - I was on a US redeye - an A321 - from PHX to PHL last summer, and I couldn't even get the GoGo signup page to load on my work PC.)
Old Jun 14, 2011, 11:38 am

Originally Posted by Critic
The OP wasn't talking exclusively about RJs, so the point is still valid:

I'm not sure I get why everyone's making such a big deal about wi-fi. Frankly, I look forward to being on a flight without wifi, because it means that for however many hours, I can be blissfully disconnected from my job and the world. I'm in no hurry to Tweet from 30k feet, and the connections aren't usually fast enough to allow for streaming media. (That's when you can get them to work at all - I was on a US redeye - an A321 - from PHX to PHL last summer, and I couldn't even get the GoGo signup page to load on my work PC.)
^ Agreed, this is why I would much rather have a Directv/AVOD system than just wifi.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.