Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated: XXXX UA miles short of award- how to get them quickly? [Merged Threads]

Old Jan 17, 2020, 11:46 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Transfer miles from Chase or Marriott to UA
Beware for Chase this is an one-way transfer and for Marriott the return would lose points
This can take a few hours to a few days
Mile/Points transfers between UA & Marriott via RewardPlus - Questions/Experiences

Purchase Miles from UA
Currently, at 3.75 cents per mile, an expensive program but often has significant sales where miles are 2 to 2.5 cents per mile
This can take a few days

Award Accelerator
This is a more complex process but generally runs 2 to 2.5 cents per mile but hard to buy a specific amount
Miles post in a few hours at the most
Consolidated Award / Premier Accelerator questions

Transfer miles from another UA account
This costs 1.5 cents per mile (plus $30 fee)
Miles will post within 1 day
Generally considered a bad deal, as you can purchase the miles at about 2 cpm and not lose the miles in the other account
Short miles for award, What about transferring from another account? Alternatives?

Miles from Purchases (for small amounts)
Either via MileagePlus X – Shopping App to Earn Additional Award Miles
or MileagePlus Shopping
Posting time is variable

Credit Card signup bonuses
Cheapest approach but requires getting card approval and likely some card usage

An alternative is Book with Money and Miles -- What is the "Book with Money and Miles" option ?

Additional ways to earn miles
Also the slowest, as this will take months

e-Rewards® Opinion Panel

Print Wikipost

Consolidated: XXXX UA miles short of award- how to get them quickly? [Merged Threads]

Old Feb 19, 2010, 5:10 am

Programs: All major Airlines, Hotel Chains, Credit Cards and Car Rentals
75 miles short for an award, options?

A friend of mine is 75 miles short of an award level that he wants to redeem. There is availability currently but he can also wait a bit as long as availability stays.

I am wondering what is the quickest way to top off his account with those needed miles. Would appreciate your inputs.

Thanks in advance!
Old Feb 19, 2010, 5:39 am

Programs: UA 1K / CO PLT
Originally Posted by jeelele
A friend of mine is 75 miles short of an award level that he wants to redeem. There is availability currently but he can also wait a bit as long as availability stays.

I am wondering what is the quickest way to top off his account with those needed miles. Would appreciate your inputs.

Thanks in advance!
Mileage Plus Dining might be fastest way to get some miles, honestly.
Old Feb 19, 2010, 5:41 am

Programs: AA, UA, DL , IHG Plat, Bonvoy Gold - 2009 FT Fantasy Football Champion
Also take a look at this thread:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...d-threads.html
Old Mar 17, 2010, 6:38 pm

Programs: UA 1P; HH Diamond; MR Gold
Friend wants to borrow 10k miles

I have a friend that wants to use miles for an award ticket to Asia. The problem is he only has 55k miles and is short 10k. I am more than happy to give him the 10k miles, but it will cost him $185 dollars for me to transfer them to him ($.015 per mile + $35).

I'm just wondering if there's a cheaper way to get him the miles he needs. It seems silly to me to spend $185 dollars to get what amounts to $100 worth of RDM.
Old Mar 17, 2010, 6:40 pm

Programs: AA/EP, PC/RA
Sounds like a perfect case to justify a Mileage Run
Old Mar 17, 2010, 6:41 pm

Programs: United 1kMM; AA EX Plat, Hilton Diamond and SPG Plat
Do a cheap MR instead. This will save money in the long run if you expect them to return the miles back, since that will also cost $$$ too.
Old Mar 17, 2010, 6:47 pm

Well I don't expect the miles back, and even if I did, I would just take cash over miles.

The MR would have to yield better than 1.85cpm to make it worth to do the MR strictly for RDMs. He's not elite, so no RDM mileage bonus. And he wouldn't care about the EQMs, since he probably wouldn't even make 1P.
Old Mar 17, 2010, 7:02 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
A swap -- you purchase the mileage award tickets from your account and then you use your friend's miles & $$ for ?????
Does require a level of trust.
Old Mar 17, 2010, 7:36 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AS 75K, UA 1MM Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Plat, National EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by adrocky
Well I don't expect the miles back, and even if I did, I would just take cash over miles.
Be careful - I know you're new around here, so just a reminder that any talk about exchanging miles for cash is strictly verboten here

We can't help you with that!
Old Mar 17, 2010, 7:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

For those of you suggesting a mileage run how can you do one and get 10K miles for less than $185? Mileage runs are not always the answer.
Old Mar 17, 2010, 7:48 pm

Programs: DL, AA
Credit card sign-up bonus? Does he have points elsewhere (hotel, etc) that he can convert/transfer?
Old Mar 18, 2010, 1:11 am

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by scoow
Credit card sign-up bonus? Does he have points elsewhere (hotel, etc) that he can convert/transfer?
CC bonus is what i'm thinking. should be able to get first year no annual fee, so no cost, other than having to make a purchase (or whatever the rule is these days and actually getting the bonus miles).

Also, a mileage plus mall promo could get him the required miles at a low cost (not that i've checked)
Old Mar 18, 2010, 9:26 am

Originally Posted by elCheapoDeluxe
Be careful - I know you're new around here, so just a reminder that any talk about exchanging miles for cash is strictly verboten here

We can't help you with that!
Sorry! Didn't mean to imply cash in exchange for miles was ok!

I don't think I want to just buy him a ticket with my miles. And use his miles later. It's not that I don't trust him, but I generally like to save my miles for intl F if possible

I think the credit card is the way to go. I'm pretty sure he already has the mileage plus visa though. I don't recall how long it takes to get the miles from the first purchase ... IIRC it usually takes about six weeks!
Old Apr 2, 2010, 12:21 pm
Suspended

Programs: I miss NW, TW
Any UA signup bonuses? I want to get 130 miles. If possible, not more Then I want to stop using the account and use CO since I fly UA infrequently.

I'm looking for some sign up bonuses. I saw the 500 mi. Mypoints sign up bonus but I already am a member. I think I might just rent a car for 3 days.
Old Apr 30, 2010, 12:18 pm

Programs: big pimpin'
Topping off my United account

Hey all!

I find myself needing to book a flight to China using my United miles to avoid the "rapid redemption fee" on almost every other carrier.

I have 61k miles in the account and need an extra 4k for the award...any ideas short of paying United's extortion (about $170) for the difference? I have Amex MR, but that doesn't transfer to United.

Thanks!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.