Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated: XXXX UA miles short of award- how to get them quickly? [Merged Threads]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 17, 2020, 11:46 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Transfer miles from Chase or Marriott to UA
Beware for Chase this is an one-way transfer and for Marriott the return would lose points
This can take a few hours to a few days
Mile/Points transfers between UA & Marriott via RewardPlus - Questions/Experiences

Purchase Miles from UA
Currently, at 3.75 cents per mile, an expensive program but often has significant sales where miles are 2 to 2.5 cents per mile
This can take a few days

Award Accelerator
This is a more complex process but generally runs 2 to 2.5 cents per mile but hard to buy a specific amount
Miles post in a few hours at the most
Consolidated Award / Premier Accelerator questions

Transfer miles from another UA account
This costs 1.5 cents per mile (plus $30 fee)
Miles will post within 1 day
Generally considered a bad deal, as you can purchase the miles at about 2 cpm and not lose the miles in the other account
Short miles for award, What about transferring from another account? Alternatives?

Miles from Purchases (for small amounts)
Either via MileagePlus X – Shopping App to Earn Additional Award Miles
or MileagePlus Shopping
Posting time is variable

Credit Card signup bonuses
Cheapest approach but requires getting card approval and likely some card usage

An alternative is Book with Money and Miles -- What is the "Book with Money and Miles" option ?

Additional ways to earn miles
Also the slowest, as this will take months

e-Rewards® Opinion Panel

Print Wikipost

Consolidated: XXXX UA miles short of award- how to get them quickly? [Merged Threads]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14, 2009, 3:58 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Southwest A-List, Hilton Diamond
True, but that's pretty low CPM if you are using 25k miles for a $200 trip. I guess if you got the card using choices and bought the ticket for $250, at least you'd still get the 1800 or so miles for flying. But I would say agree with mahasamatman, buy the ticket unless you need it for a last minute award.
Old Oct 24, 2009, 6:47 pm

Help! I need to get 8,000 miles fast.

I need to get 8,000 miles to post to my account within a month's time. What is the best/cheapest way(s) to get these miles without flying or purchasing them? I already opened up one of those mileage plus credit cards and subscribed to Netflix. Thanks.
Old Oct 24, 2009, 6:54 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Assuming you mean RDMs, lots of ideas in http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...d-threads.html
Old Oct 24, 2009, 7:18 pm
In memoriam

Programs: Kimpton IC, Hyatt Diamond, Gold Marriott, Lifetime Platinum Starwood
There are lots of offers from UA for a credit card that gives you 25 - 30K miles after first purchase. You could, also, buy a LOT of flowers for people!
Old Nov 21, 2009, 2:19 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AS MPVG
Purchasing miles from united: time to post?

I'm considering purchasing miles from United to close the gap for an award ticket I'm planning to book. Award space opened up today, but the last time space opened up it was gone the next day. Hence my urgency. (I'm waiting 25k elite choice miles, but at the moment I'm 400 miles short of the award.)

United says purchased miles post within 48 hours. Does anyone have any experience with this? Does it usually take (close to) 48 hours or will the miles post faster than that?
Old Nov 27, 2009, 8:14 pm

Fastest way to get 500 United miles (w/o paying for them)?

Hi everyone,

I've never before had the chance to use any of the miles in my Mileage Plus account, but since United graciously gave me a $100 e-cert for a recent flight mishap, I thought I'd use it to buy an upgradeable ticket from SEA to EWR this December. The problem is, I only have 14,500 miles, and need 15,000 for the upgrade.

Any ideas for quick (and cheap) ways to get these miles? I was thinking buying some stuff at the Mileage Plus Mall, but I worry that those miles could take 6-8 weeks to post, as is often the case when I buy from AA's online mall. (And my flight, United 3692, operated by Continental, in H class, is on Dec. 31st.)

Also, what are my chances of being able to even buy an upgrade?? A United rep I just talked to said this was the type of upgrade I could only buy at the airport. True? So, does that mean elites will get upgraded before I will have the chance to buy one with miles? Is there a way I can check upgrade availability?

Sorry for the all questions...I've never done anything with the MP program before...

Nelle
Old Nov 27, 2009, 8:21 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus 1K 2 MM, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Platinum
This is a frequent question on this board, and this thread will no doubt be merged with that big, merged thread.

You need RDMs. You can just buy them from UA, on line. This only takes a couple of days, and it no doubt the fastest. You could also take any UA or partner flight, but that's probably not what you wanted to do. Or a hotel stay.

If you have a Mileage Plus visa, or could get one, you'll get RDMs that way as well.

I haven't looked into it yet; can you use UA miles to upgrade on a CO-metal flight?
Old Nov 27, 2009, 11:03 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Neltron
....Also, what are my chances of being able to even buy an upgrade?? A United rep I just talked to said this was the type of upgrade I could only buy at the airport. True? So, does that mean elites will get upgraded before I will have the chance to buy one with miles? Is there a way I can check upgrade availability? ...
As mauiUAflyer refers to, the direct, non-stop flights SEA-EWR are by CO and only the most expensive (Y/B) fares can be upgraded.

If you are talking about UA operated flights connecting via one of the hubs and there is no simple answer to this. If the upgrade space is available at time of purchase you could be confirmed immediately. If not confirmed at purchase, you will be waitlisted. As a non-elite or 1P or lower your mileage upgrade will be low priority and 1Ks or those using CR1s or SWUs will have higher priority. If the upgrade does not clear before flight the priority at the gate is based status and fare class.

While all of this may sound negative it is still very possible for the upgrade to clear if the plane has sufficient first class space -- especially the flights using 757-200 (753). The A319 flights or somewhat the A320 flights are tough upgrades for non-1Ks in general.
Old Jan 4, 2010, 12:42 pm

Originally Posted by MaxMiles
How long does it take for those flower miles to post though? I can't risk us being on two different flights. We did that to Tokyo and it wasn't good! If it is a week- then I'll wait, if it is a month, then I can't!
I ordered a few sets of flowers on Dec 18th and they posted earlier last week (29th or 30th if I recall) so just shy of two weeks.
Old Feb 6, 2010, 8:12 pm

Need 2500 MP miles in a hurry!

I want to book a OW award that is currently available for 12,500 miles, but I just realized I only have 10,000 miles currently. Anyone have any tips for getting 2,500 miles in a hurry that doesn't involve signing up for new credit cards.

-Flying UA/a MR is not an option
-Credit cards are not an option
-Need to travel soon - so no partner activities which take more than 3-4 weeks to post are an option

Worse comes to worse, I can always transfer 5,000 SPG points to United, but I'd prefer not to because of the terrible 2:1 ratio and the high opportunity cost of using SPG points in this way.
Old Feb 6, 2010, 8:20 pm

Just buy them on UA's site. They post in a couple of days.
Old Feb 6, 2010, 8:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Check the fare too

Be sure to check the OW fare also, I have seen good OW fare deals lately.
Old Feb 6, 2010, 8:35 pm

Programs: UA Plat-2MM, Marriott Life Titanium, Hyatt something
FTD promo for 30 miles per dollar? Not sure how long it takes; others can probably tell you.
Old Feb 6, 2010, 8:51 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by denverhockeyguy
Just buy them on UA's site. They post in a couple of days.
probably not worth the price to buy if he wants to use it as reward travel. it might be cheaper just buying the ticket but i could be wrong.
Old Feb 6, 2010, 9:00 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Gold, UA 1P , Hyatt Diamond, SPG Platinum
If you're in such a desperate need - transfer the SPG points.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.