F 0600 - 20:00
S 0600 - 20:00
S 1100 - 19:00
Print Wikipost

Lufthansa Lounge Access in DTW/Detroit

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22, 2010, 2:10 am

Programs: United 1k aa exec plat
this must have changed recently i was rejected there last yr as a 1k because flying domestic.
my friend with me an ana gold also rejected although he should be able to get in whether flying domestic or not
Old Jun 22, 2010, 10:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, UA LT Plat, Mar LTT
Originally Posted by bryanwallace
this must have changed recently i was rejected there last yr as a 1k because flying domestic.
I believe, but cannot be certain that you were the victim of a MOLA.

Dave
Old Jun 22, 2010, 12:43 pm

Programs: DL DM MM, Hyatt LT Globalist, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC
Is anyone able to confirm summer hours? I saw a few posts back it is open at 5am- still true? And when is closing time?
Old Jun 22, 2010, 12:49 pm

I was recently told 0530hrs although a previous post says 5am. I have seen it closed at about 2030hrs but cannot confirm closing time. The hours seem to be missing on the LH website however. http://www.lufthansa.com/online/port...ails&p=LH&s=DE
Old Jun 22, 2010, 1:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
Originally Posted by Peatisback
Is anyone able to confirm summer hours? I saw a few posts back it is open at 5am- still true? And when is closing time?
Originally Posted by exbayern
I was recently told 0530hrs although a previous post says 5am. I have seen it closed at about 2030hrs but cannot confirm closing time. The hours seem to be missing on the LH website however. http://www.lufthansa.com/online/port...ails&p=LH&s=DE

Am I missing the post where someone says its open at 5:00 am?

AFAIK, its only open a few hours before the direct DTW-FRA flight. I believe the same hours as referenced in my post from October.

And I can positively tell you its never been scheduled (not including IRROPS) to be open past the departure time of the FRA flight.
Old Jun 22, 2010, 1:10 pm

I have been there recently in the early morning and asked specifically as I too was interested in the change in hours. I was told 0530hrs but I have read somewhere 0500hrs as well (perhaps on the M&M thread) http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/miles...unges-dtw.html

Edited - it is post #51 in the UA thread (this thread) which says 0500hrs. Post #37 in this thread reports a change in hours.

There is a midday lull before anyone comes in for the LH flights where I have been all alone in the lounge, and did ask for clarification, and was assured that it was indeed open through the day.

Last edited by exbayern; Jun 22, 2010 at 1:14 pm Reason: added specific post numbers
Old Jun 22, 2010, 1:55 pm

I have been there recently in the early morning and asked specifically as I too was interested in the change in hours. I was told 0530hrs but I have read somewhere 0500hrs as well (perhaps on the M&M thread) http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/miles...unges-dtw.html

Edited - it is post #51 in the UA thread (this thread) which says 0500hrs. Post #37 in this thread reports a change in hours.

There is a midday lull before anyone comes in for the LH flights where I have been all alone in the lounge, and did ask for clarification, and was assured that it was indeed open through the day.
FWIW, LH still shows the hours as:

Business Lounge
Airport Detroit - Wayne County, MI
Location North Terminal - Departure Level
Opening hours 14:30 - 18:00
Also, my contact down there (at UA) just said it has been keeping some crazy hours in when there have been delays because of the iceland volcano.
Old Jun 22, 2010, 2:06 pm

Programs: Star Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat
I was just at the DTW LH lounge last week. It closes at 6:30pm, following the departure of the LH flight.

In my experiences, the lounge opens as early as 9am. I do not know of it being open any earlier.

As other posters have noted, be sure to have your *G card. If you do not have it, you will be rejected. Having 1K or Prem Ex on your boarding pass will NOT suffice.

The Senetor lounge is specifically what I am referring to. The business lounge opens at 2:30 and closes with the Senetor lounge at 6:30.

Last edited by Neewbs; Jun 22, 2010 at 2:08 pm Reason: More notes
Old Jun 22, 2010, 2:11 pm

Originally Posted by jhayes_1780
Also, my contact down there (at UA) just said it has been keeping some crazy hours in when there have been delays because of the iceland volcano.
Not doubting what your contact says, but I can vouch having been in the lounge myself very recently outside of those hours, and having asked very specifically as I was surprised to find them open so early, even after reading reports here. And this was long post-volcano, although I was also there during volcano.
Old Jun 23, 2010, 4:48 pm

Programs: LH SEN, BA GOLD, FB GOLD, HH DIA, SPG PLAT
Originally Posted by Neewbs

As other posters have noted, be sure to have your *G card. If you do not have it, you will be rejected. Having 1K or Prem Ex on your boarding pass will NOT suffice.
Or you have a FTL M&M Card and *A-pass for same day
Old Jun 28, 2010, 11:11 am

Programs: DL DM MM, Hyatt LT Globalist, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC
Stopped by this morning around 830am. The agent told me:
- Lounge hours are 0500 to 1830 (later if the LH flight to FRA flight is delayed)
- The reason for the expanded hours are that LH "makes a lot of money off of star gold members" but wouldn't tell me how much each visit nets.
- Arriving SEN/HON members can use the lounge as an arrival lounge (though I'm not entirely sure how this works w/customs etc.)

Both sides were opened around 9am but food (bagels/cream cheese, granola, yogurt, cheese&crackers) and liquor was only served on the Senator side. The liquor was self serve. It is amazing how standardized the LH lounges are- the tiles, furniture, setup, etc.

I was flying US this morning, and it was a 10 minute walk from the LH/UA side (D6 ) to the US side (D23). I hope US moves down to that end.

As I'll be flying in and out of DTW quite a bit for the next few years, I'm thrilled to have this lounge
Old Jun 28, 2010, 1:32 pm

I can confirm everything that Peatisback detailed. However, my guess is that the idea of using the lounge as an "arrivals" lounge simply doesn't see a whole lot of demand given the logistics (the customer could get a gate pass from LH if the airline is willing to issue it, but he/she would have to re-clear security... hardly worth it for a free drink or quick snack??)

Still, I've seen very few things that LH will actually say NO to when it comes to pleasing a customer... especially one who flies up front.

Both sides of the lounge are physically open, but they generally don't send folks toward the Senator side until later in the day (when F pax arrive for LH443) and/or when it's unusually busy... for the simple reason that there aren't enough people to justify opening-up and maintaining both sides throughout the day. The two sides are VERY similar anyway.

I doubt the agent whom you see at the front desk has any clue how much revenue exactly they make from allowing *A partners access the club... probably wasn't that they knew and wouldn't say.

Originally Posted by Peatisback
It is amazing how standardized the LH lounges are- the tiles, furniture, setup, etc.
LH is BIG on branding and consistency, as I am sure most folks here know well... the furnishings, carpet, tile, you name it from the DTW club were all flown in from Germany... they use the same stuff worldwide. Actually, DTW was the first airport in the Americas to have the latest "concept" LH lounges (which have since opened in JFK, IAD and elsewhere).
Old Jun 28, 2010, 3:09 pm

thank you for confirming the current hours, Peatisback!

However, my guess is that the idea of using the lounge as an "arrivals" lounge simply doesn't see a whole lot of demand given the logistics (the customer could get a gate pass from LH if the airline is willing to issue it, but he/she would have to re-clear security... hardly worth it for a free drink or quick snack??)
It is on the way from the UA gates, and is a nice place to stop and enjoy the single stall women's bathroom, or a decent coffee, or just a quick glance at the newspaper from 'home' when arriving from ORD (which no longer has German papers in the B18 RCC by the LH gates)
Old Jun 28, 2010, 4:12 pm

thank you for confirming the current hours, Peatisback!
+1

I am now going to specifically book a trip out of DTW just to use this
Old Jul 15, 2010, 8:55 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Starwood Gold
Flying domestic into DTW. Is the lounge still available when flying domestic? Is it available upon arrival? How many people can I sponsor? TIA

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.