Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Access to Lufthansa Lounge at IAD" Thread [Merged]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 2, 2013, 9:15 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: nacho
Why does this lounge have its own thread?
Unlike most non–United Club Star Alliance (*A) lounges in the United States, the Lufthansa lounge at IAD is physically accessible to domestic UA passengers. This means:
  1. United *G members may access the lounge on domestic itineraries, even though they wouldn't be allowed free access to the United Clubs on such itineraries.
  2. Passengers who otherwise have United Club access, whether due to a paid membership or a foreign *G card, have the option of a vastly superior lounge in IAD.
What is the Lufthansa Lounge at IAD like?
There are two floors to the lounge: the concourse level, where you enter and check in, which also has the Senator lounge with ample windows; and the lower level, which has the Business lounge and showers. (The showers are very nice; on par with Senator lounge showers in Lufthansa's Frankfurt hub.)

The Senator lounge offers a complimentary buffet throughout the day, including hot dishes, salads, and dry snacks, and has draught beer and a full open bar including champagne, available upon request.

[Need description of FTL offering. Include photos?]

How do I get there?
The lounge is located at the center of the B concourse, from where non-US airlines depart, to the right of the Aerotrain escalators as you enter the concourse from the train.

Hours have changed seasonally, but, as of April 2014, are 8:20 to 21:30 except Mondays, when the lounge closes at 17:30. It also closes daily from 12:00 to 13:30. Some report the lounge opening earlier on occasion and some report it closing earlier on occasion.

From TSA/check-in, the B concourse is one stop away by Aerotrain, but in the opposite direction of the C concourse from where most United flights depart. Allow 20 minutes between the center of the C concourse and the Lufthansa Lounge. The longest part of the trip is the walk between the C concourse proper and its Aerotrain stop. Between concourses B and C, the Aerotrain makes two stops: one at concourse A and one at the main terminal/TSA/baggage claim.

How do I get inside?
With...
  • Any Star Gold (*G) card (including UA Premier Gold and higher) and a same-day departing *A boarding pass in any class to any destination, domestic or international. There are reports (April 2014) that the physical card is no longer necessary; a *G designation on the boarding pass reflected in the barcode may be sufficient. (Senator lounge, 1 guest)
  • A LH/LX HON/SEN card and a same-day departing or arriving *A boarding pass to/from any destination, domestic or international. (Senator lounge, 1 guest [plus spouse if HON] plus children under 18)
  • A LH/LX FTL card and a same-day departing *A boarding pass in any class to any destination, domestic or international. (Business lounge, no guests)
  • A LH Premium Economy boarding pass with ($35 adult/$20 2-12yo child) lounge pass purchased at the ticket counter. [Can it be paid at the entrance?] (Business lounge, no guests)
  • A United Club or Maple Leaf Lounge Worldwide membership card and a same-day departing *A boarding pass in any class to any destination, domestic or international. (Business lounge, 1 guest)
  • A same-day international departing *A First (Senator lounge, 1 guest) or Business (Business lounge, no guests) boarding pass
  • A same-day arriving LH/LX First boarding pass. (Senator lounge, 1 guest)

In all cases, each guest must also present a same-day *A boarding pass for admission.

Lounge access for travel in a domestic premium cabin is not regulated by *A; as such, UA F domestic passengers (without other credentials) do not have access to the LH Lounge according to *A.com, just as they do not have access to the United Clubs. However, the international requirement for C/F tickets is conspicuously absent from Lufthansa's own lounge access sheet (see below), and domestic UA F passengers have reported admission. (Senator lounge, 1 guest)
[If we get (semi-)official confirmation of this policy, we'll add this to the bullets.]

Provided the lounge does not get overcrowded, as is often the case on US-based LH lounges, you may exit and re-enter the lounge as often as you wish. Note that if you are entering on a lounge pass, which are issued by Lufthansa to their own elites for various reasons, re-entry might not be allowed.

(If your access question wasn't addressed by the above, first check the *A access policy and LH's official access policy [generally relying on the least restrictive policy of the two if they appear to conflict], and if they answer a question that this wiki couldn't, update this wiki to help others! And if they don't, ask in the thread!)

So, can I use the lounge upon arrival in IAD?
Only LH/LX SEN/HON (on any *A carrier) and LH/LX F passengers have access to the lounge upon arrival at IAD without regard to onward travel. See the list above for more details. There are reports, however, of passengers not meeting this criteria presenting their arriving boarding pass and still being admitted.

Furthermore, note that, by virtue of not having access to the terminal, no international passenger whose journey ends at IAD has access to the lounge; they will be ferried by mobile lounge to the International Arrivals Building, which deposits passengers landside. [Can pax without checked bags choose to clear CBP in concourse C regardless? Also, do arriving passengers on LH/LX/*A F/C connecting at IAD to Y-class flights have access? According to LH.com, pax arriving in C on LH/LX can use the lounges in Germany and at JFK upon arrival to freshen up. Is the same courtesy extended at IAD?]

How does the Senator lounge compare to the newest Senator lounges in FRA?
Not favorably. The Senator lounge is like the old FRA lounges (cramped, and before a LH flight departure, crowded). Perhaps due to the crowding, LH offers its departing F pax preboarding from the Senator lounge, something which the FRA/MUC FCT/FCL does not offer but is common among LH's outstation lounges. So, enjoying champagne and macadamias at the nose or upper deck while waiting is a nice feature of the IAD Senator lounge.

This sounds too good to be true!
Lufthansa agrees! If the rumors are true, as of January 1, 2015, LH's Business Lounges will become its *G lounges, which means non-LH *Gs will be directed downstairs to the Business lounge after that date. There's some discussion of exceptions, most notable being that *G traveling in longhaul business class will still be admitted to the SEN lounge. Lufthansa has been more generous than most *A airlines in admitting *Gs to its designated *A First class lounges—not even UA's own 1Ks get to visit United's first class lounges without a first class ticket—so this change will bring Lufthansa somewhat more in line with the rest of the alliance. Went to the LH IAD lounge in June 2016 with TK G and SK BP flying Y, we were directed into the Senator lounge.
Print Wikipost

Consolidated "Access to Lufthansa Lounge at IAD" Thread [Merged]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2, 2009, 2:05 pm

Location: Chapel Hill, NC - UA Nobody (sigh)/0.925MM, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by Brattflyer
Went to the LH lounge yesterday and was underwhelmed. Showed my 1k card and was admitted to the Senator Lounge. It was 4:00 PM and it was crowded. The lounge was pretty small. The food was alright if you like meat. The only snacky things available were peanuts and candy. I think overall the non-alcoholic drink selection was the same as RCC.

Given the length of the walk, I'd defer going back until the trains start up. When will that be? Everything looks ready to go from the outside. Also, reading this thread I am given to understand that if I had shown my RCC card, I'd have been directed to the business class lounge. Is this correct? Might be worth one more exploratory trip. Once was enough for upstairs/Senator.
They have alcohol yet at the LH lounge? Flying OS to VIE and if no booze, I'm off to the RCC to use my chit hoard.
Old Apr 2, 2009, 2:14 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
I'm going to check it out before my flight to MCI tomorrow evening if only for the free booze. ^
Old Apr 2, 2009, 2:17 pm

Location: Chapel Hill, NC - UA Nobody (sigh)/0.925MM, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by kokonutz
I'm going to check it out before my flight to MCI tomorrow evening if only for the free booze. ^
An earlier post indicated they didn't have an alcohol license yet, so that's why I posted my query above your post. There may not be any booze.
Old Apr 2, 2009, 3:15 pm
gre

Programs: UA-Plat, Marriott-Plat, AAI, AAII
The food was alright if you like meat.
Meat and beer - what else do you need!?

Jeez, I can't wait for my next evening flight.
Old Apr 2, 2009, 3:32 pm

Programs: UA 1K & 0.6 MM
Originally Posted by heffa
Great pictures. Please don't post any RCC pictures.
Originally Posted by rankourabu
The sign on the door said 2pm, we were there after 2, so cant say for sure

Here is a couple pictures I took while we were only guests (before 3pm)
The food + bar
Entrance, computers and bar
Seating area

I also forgot to mention, a huge international selection of newspapers and countless magazines are available

Wow, I feel like I'm at the lounge in MUC. I'm having total deja vu. Down to the furniture and clocks, not to mention the set-up of the food and drink.
Old Apr 2, 2009, 3:51 pm

Programs: UA Gold (1MM), Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
I'm the lounge right now waiting for my flight to DXB. No alcohol yet, but they do have tasty cheesecake and gummy bears.
Old Apr 3, 2009, 8:40 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Originally Posted by PapaSmurf
I'm the lounge right now waiting for my flight to DXB. No alcohol yet, but they do have tasty cheesecake and gummy bears.

Not gonna bother to make the trek tonight then.

Thanks for the 411.
Old Apr 3, 2009, 12:39 pm

Programs: UA *G MM
I noticed that the NW lounge at IAD used to be self-serve but some paranoid freaks put a stop to that so they have to have a person serving the (free) drinks. It's probably some local Virginia issue..... but the UA F lounge has self serve booze. Maybe a "minor" got wasted at the NW lounge so they cracked down there specifically.

What's the wifi situation at the LH lounge?

p.s. Many years ago someone posted about successfully going to a LH lounge in Houston with a domestic UA BP. I think it was a bit more challenging since it was in a different terminal with separate security access.

p.p.s. A good thing for people starting from IAD is that you can walk to the LH lounge, although it is a long walk. It's still very inconvenient, however, if you are flying from a UA D gate because then you have two longs walks plus a shuttle ride.
Old Apr 3, 2009, 2:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by gnaget

p.p.s. A good thing for people starting from IAD is that you can walk to the LH lounge, although it is a long walk. It's still very inconvenient, however, if you are flying from a UA D gate because then you have two longs walks plus a shuttle ride.
If departing from D gates, you have one long walk across B terminal, and a direct B->D shuttle. (starts at 3:15pm)
Old Apr 3, 2009, 2:20 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, UA 1K MM, SPG Plat For Life, Marriott Plat, Nexus/GlobalEntry
Given the length of the walk, I'd defer going back until the trains start up. When will that be? Everything looks ready to go from the outside.
According to the Dulles official website the trains will open "later this year". However in looking at the terminal map with the trains: http://www.metwashairports.com/_/ima...rotrainmap.jpg

It doesn't look like the trains will do anything to cut short the walking distance to/from the LH lounge if you're departing out of C or D. You could take a train from the main terminal to the B gates and be close to the SEN lounge but then you'll still have to walk the entire length of the A/B terminal to catch either a train to C or a moon buggy to D. Or does the train from B to the terminal continue on to the A & C gates?
Old Apr 3, 2009, 10:26 pm

Programs: 1MM BIS. Former 18-year segment 1K, 1997-2014...now just a distant memory.
Originally Posted by gnaget
Many years ago someone posted about successfully going to a LH lounge in Houston with a domestic UA BP. I think it was a bit more challenging since it was in a different terminal with separate security access.
That someone might have been me. I posted on FT after visiting the LH lounge at IAH twice some years back, during multi-hour UA connections. Visiting this lounge was not really a challenge, aside from the fair distance between the United gates and the location of the lounge, in the international terminal. Simply showed my 1K card for entry. Yes, seem to recall that, after taking the train, had to go through security again when accessing the international terminal.
Old Apr 3, 2009, 11:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
I bet LH is going to get tired quickly of all the UA folks and UA isn't going to like shelling out money to pay for 1Ps flying from IAD-RIC in L-Class to use the LH Lounge.

But I am VERY exited to check it out--in fact I am going to schedule an extra hour in on my next layover in IAD to insure I have time to check out the lounge.
Old Apr 4, 2009, 8:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by Benny8444
I wonder if the lounge will be flooded with UA elites now...
I have no doubt this will happen. The small SQ lounge at SFO is already flooded with UA travelers who want access to the deluxe open bar and tasty canapes.

I will certainly be visiting the LH lounge on my next visit to IAD, one always has extra time thanks to the "mobile lounge" and TSA nonsense. At least until this perk disappears.
Old Apr 4, 2009, 8:58 pm
GVA

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, BA Silver, Aegean Gold, Aeroplan 25k, AA EXP
Can anybody clarify whether this place opens at 1pm or 2pm. Seems to be some contradiction going around.
Old Apr 4, 2009, 9:35 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus 1K 3 MM, Velocity Gold, IHG Rewards, Hilton HHonors Diamond
LH lounge

LH lounges are wonderful! I always try to fly LH in Europe so I get to use their lounges. I also was told at RCC IAD that incoming international flights do not entitle you to drink vouchers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.