Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Original Routing Credit (ORC) After Involuntary Re-Routing/Re-Booking (Merged)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 12, 2013, 8:18 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
What is ORC?

ORC=Original Routing Credit: Claiming credit for your original routing as you originally booked it in the event you are rerouted on flights that earn fewer miles than you originally booked.

When do I qualify for ORC?

If you are flying a UA flight on a UA-issued ticket and crediting to UA Mileage Plus, then generally after being rebooked during IROPS due to a misconnect or canceled flight (regardless of the cause--weather, mechanical, ATC delays, etc.) on a more direct routing than you originally booked that earns fewer United miles. This includes being rebooked on other airlines, even if they are not United partners, as well as being rebooked on other UA flights or UA partner flights.

What if I SDC and then have IROPS?
Reports suggest SDCing AAA-BBB to AAA-XXX-BBB and then having IROPS where you are placed back on AAA-BBB, that ORC might be denied for AAA-XXX-BBB. As your original purchase was AAA-BBB.
Unknown what would happen in more complex situations, such as you traveled to XXX and then IROPS occurred, you would probably just be better without ORC.

You will generally not qualify for ORC under the following circumstances:
  • A change to your itinerary made in advance
  • A United-initiated schedule change made prior to departure
  • A voluntary change made during travel (i.e. SDC, walking away from a segment, etc.)

A reroute during a VDB has been an open issue (best if you can get the VDB marked INVOL but still should be possible -- may take some pushback if refused)

How do I get ORC?

ORC will not post automatically (even if a gate agent assures you otherwise). You will have to call in or write into the MPSC (Mileage Plus Service Center--NOT the reservations center or Premier reservations line), provide your record locator or e-ticket number, and state that you were rerouted at United's request and would like to receive the mileage as you originally booked. You cannot do this until the miles for the flights you actually flew posted (which, for United metal, is usually shortly after your flight, as of mid-2019) and at least 5 days have passed between the original VDB flight date and the date of the request for ORC. If the agent grants you ORC, and you have UA miles already posted from the flights you actually took, they will send it to auditing. After about a week the miles for the flights you actually flew will be removed from your account and the miles for the original routing will be deposited, so check and make sure that your original routing would have indeed given you more miles than you actually earned!

If you were rebooked on a carrier which isn't a United partner (i.e. AA, DL, etc.), you can generally credit the flight you actually flew to that carrier's mileage program and still claim ORC with UA.

Any tips to ensure I am successful?

When dealing with UA over a rebooking that will earn you fewer miles, make sure the agent marks your ticket as "INVOL." When the MPSC sees this note, they will be much more likely to quickly agree to grant you ORC. The absence of "INVOL" on your ticket makes the agent think you may have voluntarily rerouted yourself on a shorter itinerary, in which case you wouldn't be able to claim ORC.

Automated rebookings (the kind where you misconnect and then check your itinerary or go to a kiosk after landing and find yourself already booked on another flight) generally seem to properly be marked "INVOL," so you should be fine in these cases. You can see if your ticket was marked "INVOL" by clicking on the "View Receipt" function for your itinerary on united.com; it will be shown next to "Fare Rules" below the fare breakdown section, like so:

Fare Rules: Additional charges may apply for changes in addition to any fare rules listed.

INVOL;CXL BY FLT DT/
Note that some people have reported success in claiming ORC on VDB rebookings if they were able to successfully persuade the agent to mark the itinerary "INVOL."

Is there ORC for MM / Lifetime credit? for PQDs?

Yes and Yes (Generally included but to be safe specifically mention these in your request)

Can a get a refund?

It is believed that requesting a refund will block the ability to request ORC.

Other issues?

You may run into difficulty if any of the following are true:
  1. You're not flying on a UA-issued ticket (recent 2022 reports suggest this is possible)
  2. The rebooking was done by a third-party due to IROPS on that third party carrier
  3. You're not crediting to UA MP

The first two may not be impossible to overcome, but you may need to work harder to get the credit (YMMV, though, especially if both #1 and #2 are true).

The third one is a different case--you need to request credit through the program you're crediting to, as third parties don't have the ability to make adjustments to programs they don't own (UA can't adjust your LH balance, for example--they can only send LH a feed of what flights that person flew, a process which is automated and tied to their operations system).

Archive of older posts - Original Routing Credit (ORC) After Involuntary Re-Routing/Re-Booking (Archive)

Print Wikipost

Original Routing Credit (ORC) After Involuntary Re-Routing/Re-Booking (Merged)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15, 2019, 9:02 am

Programs: All of them, UA-Plat, 1MM*G
Originally Posted by emcampbe
Wanted to follow up on this - been resolved for a while, but forgot to post the results in here.

So I decided to call MP to see what they would say - I figure the worst that they could say is 'no'. Agent said to send an email in with a description and relevant info., as well as a copy of the original TG tickets/itinerary, as well as the CI BPs that we flew on. Sent all that, as well as the original TG BPs for the segment we misconnected to. Was half expecting that there wouldn't be a response, or a outright denial. 3 days later, I got an email back saying they would work with their Star Alliance partner to receive authorization to credit, and to allow up to 4 weeks, and simply to check my account for the flight credit. To my surprise, about a week and a half later, I was in my account and noticed the flight had been added, dated 4 days after the email response.

So in summary, pays to check, I guess. I wasn't really expecting to be credited based on this all being with a partner, but seems they will credit like UA ORC if they have the information.
I'm pleasantly surprised by this. While ultimately it was up to TG to provide the extra credits, I am amazed that UA stepped up to the plate to help facilitate it happening.
jsloan likes this.
Old Apr 1, 2019, 4:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM
To Request ORC or Not to Request ORC ...

Ciao! I am trying to determine whether or not I should request credit for my original routing on travel I completed this weekend. Y'see, I am was on track to reach the 1MM mark by mid-May until ...

I was traveling home from FCO via FRA and SFO (FCO-FRA-SFO-LAX), when my FCO-FRA flight arrived late, leading me to miss my connection. After some back and forth with LH and UA, I decided to fly LH FRA-JFK (and LH upgraded me to Premium Economy, which I have to say was much nicer than I anticipated ^) and continue on EWR-LAX on UA the next day. I was credited with 1.5 PQM (5,784 miles, yes?), 1.5 PQS, $0 PQD and 0 BIS miles for the LH leg (UA credit hasn't shown up yet). My original itinerary was on a U fare. And now I am not projecting to reach the 1MM mark until mid-June unless I do something.

That matters to me because mrs. iapetus is flying with the iapetus jrs. and mother-in-law iapetus LAX-LHR two days after I would now hit the 1MM mark. And I would really like mrs. iapetus to be flying with my 1K status (I will not be with them until later in the trip). I am thinking of requesting ORC to restore my BIS miles, which I am pleased to read from this thread might be a possibility. But it would cost me 1,928 PQM (well, not quite that much, since the original routing was longer than what I actually did).

I am writing to get a little perspective from my fellow FTers. Should I request ORC just to get to 1MM by mid-May? I am a little concerned about meeting the PQM requirement for status this year (I think I'll be good on PQD to my surprise). Am I correct to be concerned about being able to confer my status on mrs. iapetus having reached the 1MM mark just two days before her flight? Is it unheard of for someone to do an MR just for the sake of hitting 1MM by a particular date? Any thoughts and perspectives would be appreciated!
Old Apr 1, 2019, 5:16 pm

Programs: UA 1K; *G and *A Top 1000; HHonors Diamond; *$ Gold; Global Entry
Originally Posted by iapetus
Ciao! I am trying to determine whether or not I should request credit for my original routing on travel I completed this weekend. Y'see, I am was on track to reach the 1MM mark by mid-May until ...

I was traveling home from FCO via FRA and SFO (FCO-FRA-SFO-LAX), when my FCO-FRA flight arrived late, leading me to miss my connection. After some back and forth with LH and UA, I decided to fly LH FRA-JFK (and LH upgraded me to Premium Economy, which I have to say was much nicer than I anticipated ^) and continue on EWR-LAX on UA the next day. I was credited with 1.5 PQM (5,784 miles, yes?), 1.5 PQS, $0 PQD and 0 BIS miles for the LH leg (UA credit hasn't shown up yet). My original itinerary was on a U fare. And now I am not projecting to reach the 1MM mark until mid-June unless I do something.

That matters to me because mrs. iapetus is flying with the iapetus jrs. and mother-in-law iapetus LAX-LHR two days after I would now hit the 1MM mark. And I would really like mrs. iapetus to be flying with my 1K status (I will not be with them until later in the trip). I am thinking of requesting ORC to restore my BIS miles, which I am pleased to read from this thread might be a possibility. But it would cost me 1,928 PQM (well, not quite that much, since the original routing was longer than what I actually did).

I am writing to get a little perspective from my fellow FTers. Should I request ORC just to get to 1MM by mid-May? I am a little concerned about meeting the PQM requirement for status this year (I think I'll be good on PQD to my surprise). Am I correct to be concerned about being able to confer my status on mrs. iapetus having reached the 1MM mark just two days before her flight? Is it unheard of for someone to do an MR just for the sake of hitting 1MM by a particular date? Any thoughts and perspectives would be appreciated!
I say the choice is entirely up to you. Which do you value more? Earning MM sooner or earning the additional PQMs you earned that you otherwise wouldn’t have earned. Of course, that comes at a PQD cost.
Old Apr 1, 2019, 5:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sannmann
Which do you value more? Earning MM sooner or ...
Well, that's part of the calculus here. I hear that conferring status is quick when one hits the 1MM mark, but exactly how quick is it? (I think I could have easily posted this question in one of the 1MM threads.) I don't really know. I guess I'm also interested in people confirming that getting ORC also restores the lost BIS miles.

Another possible option that I have is re-routing one of my two intervening LAX-SAT trips (I usually fly LAX-IAH-SAT) through another city, but our Travel Department might not go for something that indirect ...
Old Apr 1, 2019, 5:44 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Well, that's part of the calculus here. I hear that conferring status is quick when one hits the 1MM mark, but exactly how quick is it? ...
A day or two max.
Million Miler companion benefit

I guess I'm also interested in people confirming that getting ORC also restores the lost BIS miles. ...
Lifetime miles, yes

Another possible option that I have is re-routing one of my two intervening LAX-SAT trips (I usually fly LAX-IAH-SAT) through another city, but our Travel Department might not go for something that indirect ...
SDC is a real possibility for that routing.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Apr 1, 2019 at 5:51 pm
Old Apr 1, 2019, 6:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
SDC is a real possibility for that routing.
Hmm, that seems a little risky ... but I really like that idea! It's a good example of why I bothered posting in the first place; it hadn't even occurred to me (though, to be honest, it might have ... at some point). There are LAX-ORD-SAT itineraries that pop up when I look for LAX-SAT tickets. I don't know how likely it is to pop up as an SDC option, but it would work nicely if it did, allowing me to have my cake (PQM) and eat it, too (BIS).
Old Apr 1, 2019, 7:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hmm, that seems a little risky ...
Not really, depending upon when your SAT trip(s) are. You can wait to request ORC, if necessary, after you complete those trips.

When you say "two days after I would now hit the 1MM mark," do you mean two days after your million-mile flight, or two days after your million-mile flight would post?

I don't remember there being must of a delay when I added my wife as my MM companion, but I don't honestly remember if it was instant, which is what the first scenario would entail.
Old Apr 1, 2019, 7:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jsloan
Not really, depending upon when your SAT trip(s) are. You can wait to request ORC, if necessary, after you complete those trips.
The first SAT trip would be at the end of this month. The second will be during the first full week of May.

When you say "two days after I would now hit the 1MM mark," do you mean two days after your million-mile flight, or two days after your million-mile flight would post?
It's the former. I want to make sure that mrs. iapetus, our children and my mother-in-law can all sit in E+. mrs. iapetus and the iapetus jrs. are all currently in E+ (the agent simply booked them there without my asking when I called to book their flights). But mother-in-law iapetus is not with them at the moment. And I realize that mrs. iapetus and the iapetus jrs. could always get moved back to E in a sweep. Relying on 1K status to be confirmed on my wife if I don't react somehow in time to make that all happen seems dicey - at best - to me.

Too bad UA credit doesn't post as quickly as LH credit does.
Old Apr 1, 2019, 8:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The first SAT trip would be at the end of this month. The second will be during the first full week of May.
I've rarely had an ORC request take more than a couple of days, particularly via 1K Voice. I would feel confident waiting for May to see if SDC worked. I sincerely doubt that UA will refuse just because you took a while to weigh your options. AFAIK, the only real time limitation attached to ORC would be whatever they use for missing credit (six months?)

It's the former. I want to make sure that mrs. iapetus, our children and my mother-in-law can all sit in E+. mrs. iapetus and the iapetus jrs. are all currently in E+ (the agent simply booked them there without my asking when I called to book their flights). But mother-in-law iapetus is not with them at the moment. And I realize that mrs. iapetus and the iapetus jrs. could always get moved back to E in a sweep. Relying on 1K status to be confirmed on my wife if I don't react somehow in time to make that all happen seems dicey - at best - to me.

Too bad UA credit doesn't post as quickly as LH credit does.
If you're not able to SDC, I would do the ORC. UA's changed the way they've posted earnings recently, and mine are sometimes showing up a little earlier (early morning on the second calendar day past departure, instead of early afternoon), but you're basically counting on everything going right at that point. If you end up needing the extra PQMs later in the year, you can always do a mileage run then, and you won't risk having your mother-in-law mad at you.
iapetus likes this.
Old Apr 1, 2019, 9:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

UA's changed the way they've posted earnings recently, and mine are sometimes showing up a little earlier (early morning on the second calendar day past departure, instead of early afternoon) ...
OT: every time I fly a mixed UA/LH itinerary it strikes me as odd how much faster the LH credit posts than the UA credit. It would make sense to me if it were the other way 'round, but ...

... and you won't risk having your mother-in-law mad at you.
Actually, mother-in-law iapetus is very chill; her nose won't get bent out of shape. I'm more concerned about disappointing mrs. iapetus!
jsloan likes this.
Old Apr 10, 2019, 12:11 am

Programs: UA 1K MM; Bonvoy Titanium; most other FF programs...
Hi All... have an interesting issue/question (well, at least to me).

I was able to jump on the ORD-SYD AirNZ mistake fare with the outbound being ORD-LAX-SYD all on UA Metal, which would earn me PQD's despite being ticketed on AirNZ stock.

Well, as we all know, UA cancelled the LAX-SYD flight every other day in the low season, with my flight being one affected.

AirNZ wants to know put me on their metal, so curious if people think I will be able to appeal to UA for the Original Routing Credit (most concerned about PQD's) given that the schedule change was due to their action.

Thoughts?
Old Apr 10, 2019, 12:35 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by FoxFlyer
... Well, as we all know, UA cancelled the LAX-SYD flight every other day in the low season, with my flight being one affected.
ORD-SFO-SYD is a possibility

Originally Posted by FoxFlyer
... AirNZ wants to know put me on their metal, so curious if people think I will be able to appeal to UA for the Original Routing Credit (most concerned about PQD's) given that the schedule change was due to their action. ...
Generally advance schedule changes are not eligible for ORC.
Old Apr 10, 2019, 12:50 am

Programs: UA 1K MM; Bonvoy Titanium; most other FF programs...
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
ORD-SFO-SYD is a possibility

Generally advance schedule changes are not eligible for ORC.
Thanks - Despite me asking for both routings via SFO or IAH on UA, they want to put me on AirNZ metal.

And while it makes sense advance changes aren’t eligible, was hoping since UA canceled the flight they might show some compassion (and with the new $15k requirement for 1K, every PQD counts!)
Old Apr 25, 2019, 8:29 am

Programs: *G, OW Sapphire, HH D
Hello all,

booked an itinerary with …-IAH-GIG-IAH-ORD-... in between with the IAH-GIG and GIG-IAH flights on the same day. Initial, the inbound IAH-GIG flight was delayed 10 hrs and at that time I called the premier desk and the agent rebooked me to ..IAH-ORD without the GIG legs. Eventually both IAH-GIG and GIG-IAH flights got cancelled (which was not clear at time of rebooking). This

I'd like to request ORC due to the ~10k PQMs for IAH-GIG-IAH. Do you guys think this is possible even if the flights got only cancelled AFTER the (necessary) Itinerary change?

Thanks!
Old Apr 25, 2019, 8:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
As long as the change to drop the GIG trip was INVOL, I don't see why not. Especially if you aren't trying to claim a refund for the ORC segments.
lincolnjkc likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.