Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Channel 9 Availability" Discussion Thread [Merged]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Channel 9 Availability" Discussion Thread [Merged]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21, 2017, 8:02 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum Elite, National Executive, United Gold
Originally Posted by cruiserchris
However, on the return trip on 3/8, UA443 (also 77W), it was not on, which was too bad because we made a big "S" turn on approach to EWR.
I departed EWR on that date - I think arrivals were from the north into 29. Must have been a sight to see a widebody executing that approach, I've only experienced that once on a 752.
Old Mar 21, 2017, 8:07 am

Programs: UA Gold
Originally Posted by 764toHI
I departed EWR on that date - I think arrivals were from the north into 29. Must have been a sight to see a widebody executing that approach, I've only experienced that once on a 752.
Could a 77W do a circle to land to 29, it's only 6700'?

Though if most other traffic was going into 29, I could see ATC needing them to do an S turn for separation.
Old Mar 21, 2017, 8:08 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, IHG Silver, Hilton Silver, Hertz PC, National Exec Elite, Avis PC
Originally Posted by 764toHI
I've been on a 772 and 763 landing on 29. Haven't seen anything bigger than that like a 77W, 343 or 744, but maybe I am wrong. There was even a windy day a few weeks ago where widebodies were departing from 29.
Old Mar 21, 2017, 8:10 am

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
Originally Posted by zspitzer
Could a 77W do a circle to land to 29, it's only 6700'?
Yes. I would think that with three times as many braked-wheels, and no artificially increased landing speeds, its stopping distance would be less than a 737-900.

From talking to the 777 pilots, the reason they usually land on 22L with the strong crosswind is the airplane's stability in those conditions. There's no need for them to use the shorter runway 29.
Old Mar 21, 2017, 8:17 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, IHG Silver, Hilton Silver, Hertz PC, National Exec Elite, Avis PC
Originally Posted by LarryJ
There's no need for them to use the shorter runway 29.
How about a very short taxi to international arrivals gates on C-3?
Old May 8, 2017, 2:56 am

Programs: UA Platinum, Avis Chairman, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, GA Pilot
Has anyone experienced Channel 9 on either SFO-TLV or EWR-TLV?
Old May 8, 2017, 9:07 am

Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
Originally Posted by NYTA
Has anyone experienced Channel 9 on either SFO-TLV or EWR-TLV?
Yep, EWR-TLV on the sCO 777 about two years ago.
Old May 8, 2017, 10:00 am

Programs: UA Platinum, Avis Chairman, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, GA Pilot
Is there any way to simultaneously listen to Channel 9 and watch a movie or some other entertainment? When I flew small planes I used to plug an iPod into the intercom to listen to music softly in the background while still listening (and talking) to ATC.
Old May 8, 2017, 12:15 pm

Programs: UA
Is there any way to simultaneously listen to Channel 9 and watch a movie or some other entertainment? When I flew small planes I used to plug an iPod into the intercom to listen to music softly in the background while still listening (and talking) to ATC.
Not that I know of, the only thing the audio will keep playing over is the flight map IIRC.

You could use two sets of earbuds and have one plugged into the plane and the other into your media player. Or you can bring an audio mixer and use only 1 set or headphones.
Old May 8, 2017, 6:24 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum Elite, National Executive, United Gold
On the PDE enabled aircraft (767/777), you can stream to your device and listen to Channel 9 on the AVOD.
Old May 16, 2017, 6:37 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Accor Plat, Htz PC, Natl ExEm, other random status
Originally Posted by lakid
5/15 UA85 TLV-EWR 772 initially international service manager told me Captain has told him on the inbound that he doesn't turn it on , mid flight I met the captain and asked him to turn it on , he was more than gracious and turned on right after my request from about Nova Scotia to EWR
I've been told a couple of times that some pilots don't like to have it on during flights where there may be "tricky" flying at some point or poor quality ATC (e.g., PRC flights could be both). TLV could count as the former, but presumably not the latter.

Greg
Old May 16, 2017, 6:41 pm

Programs: AA-EXP 2.8 MM,UA-GS 1.3 MM,DL-PL,HH-DM,LH-SEN,Bonvoy-GL
Actually it was a very tricky flight as there were terrible Crosswinds at EWR approach kudos to Captain very nice smooth landing under the circumstances
Old May 17, 2017, 9:11 am

Originally Posted by lakid
5/10 UA90 EWR-TLV 77W from pushback to landing this may sound weird but I am pretty convinced that the sound quality of channel 9 on this aircraft is clearer than on the 772 And definitely than the 767 that on my last couple of flights had the background beeping noise
I should hope so--it's a brand new plane! I wonder why newly-delivered 77Ws get it but 787s don't.
Old Jun 2, 2017, 3:29 pm

Programs: UA 1K, EL Al ???, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold
777-300 Pilot headset bleeding into channel 9

I absolutely love listening to ch 9 and I'm never shy about acting like a ten year old and asking if it will be enabled.

I recently had my first trip on the 777-300. First officer said he would turn on if possible, which he did! I listened for a bit then turned on a movie...

Hours later, about 90 minutes prior to arrival I tuned back in and even though had volume all the way up only heard some very low audio. I flipped my bose noise cancelling headset to high power and soon realized that I was listening to someone on the flight deck having a conversation. I only heard one person. While the audio was very low, I could make out most of the words.

I reported it to a FA, I didn't think anything good would come of people unintentionally hearing flight deck chit chat. The FA called the flight deck and seconds later the audio was gone.

Today I found some posts referencing "Pilot Talk Show" See here. Clearly the person on the flight deck didn't intend to be broadcasting on channel 9. Being that the audio was very low, I wonder if this is some sort of technical glitch?

Last edited by ElieW; Jun 2, 2017 at 3:32 pm Reason: typo
Old Jun 2, 2017, 4:25 pm

Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
Originally Posted by ElieW
I absolutely love listening to ch 9 and I'm never shy about acting like a ten year old and asking if it will be enabled.

I recently had my first trip on the 777-300. First officer said he would turn on if possible, which he did! I listened for a bit then turned on a movie...

Hours later, about 90 minutes prior to arrival I tuned back in and even though had volume all the way up only heard some very low audio. I flipped my bose noise cancelling headset to high power and soon realized that I was listening to someone on the flight deck having a conversation. I only heard one person. While the audio was very low, I could make out most of the words.

I reported it to a FA, I didn't think anything good would come of people unintentionally hearing flight deck chit chat. The FA called the flight deck and seconds later the audio was gone.

Today I found some posts referencing "Pilot Talk Show" See here. Clearly the person on the flight deck didn't intend to be broadcasting on channel 9. Being that the audio was very low, I wonder if this is some sort of technical glitch?
The input to Channel 9 is the output of the audio console of the jumpseat behind the captain. If the "Enable Audio to Passenger Entertainment System" is ON, but the audio input from one of the radios on the jumpseater's console is not completely off, this could happen. Not a technical glitch -- just a combination of switch selections not properly set to inhibit the audio feed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.