Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Channel 9 Availability" Discussion Thread [Merged]

Consolidated "Channel 9 Availability" Discussion Thread [Merged]

Old Feb 20, 2024, 6:39 am

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AA EXP, HH Diamond, MR Gold, Avis PC, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by UAL4life
God I miss Ch9. To get my fix I downloaded the LiveATC app and connect to the inflight Wi-Fi but that is in itself hit and miss…
I've tried this before but always had a hard time finding the right channels. Any hints or tricks?

I've always wished that Flightradar24 and LiveATC would have some kind of integration where you could follow along the ATC for your flight (or any flight, really), or at least attempt to where it would give you the ATC options for the area your flight is in, but I suppose that would open up a wild can of worms.

To keep the post on topic, I haven't had CH9 available in years but used to LOVE it.
Old Feb 20, 2024, 3:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by itripreport (Post # 367)
I love when pilots make up the most unnecessary lies when it comes to Channel 9... all they have to do is say "I don't want to turn it on"
In daily life, many people resort to "white lies" to avoid confrontation.

One must admit, there can be many confrontational people among airline passengers, given the stresses some pax perceive or experience.
Old Feb 25, 2024, 8:33 pm

This past week I've had my first flight in perhaps 6 years with channel 9 on, IAH-SFO on a 772. It was such a pleasure. I didn't remember how soothing it was.

We departed the gate, and I could hear the tower giving hold and taxi instructions. We were cleared for takeoff. We had some turbulence on the climb, and I could listen to the pilots ask for a new level, ATC tell them the expected severity (light chop), until finally we reached a smooth cruise. I could hear all the other flights crossing the southwest radio in to control. I could hear my flight being handed off from center to center. Then as we approached the Bay, I listened to the descent instructions, reduce speed instructions, felt the plane gradually descend, bank, come in for approach on the path cleared. We landed, were guided through the taxi, and got to the gate just about as scheduled.

I didn't change off the channel for the whole flight. It was such a lovely, calm experience.

I wish pilots would enable this more often. Thank you to my pilots who did.
Old Mar 11, 2024, 9:03 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, IHG Silver, Hilton Silver, Hertz PC, National Exec Elite, Avis PC
UA2494 3/10 752 EWR-IAD

WiFi was pretty reliable so I was able to follow on LiveATC for a good portion of the 40min flight.
Old Mar 16, 2024, 9:38 am

UA847 March 16 IAH SCL

While waiting due to a baggage issue, I asked a FA if the Capt. would turn on Ch. 9 or 'from the flight deck'. She had no idea what I was asking. She had to ask two other FAs, one of whom called the Capt. He said it would be on enroute, but not for take off and landing. We'll see.
Old Mar 19, 2024, 7:58 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Ua Gold, GE.. Sucker for punishment
Capt announced CH9 on a brand new A321Neo.

No one could find out how to make it work.

Could not find any reference to the Neo's having it on line... Poorly informed pilot?
Old Mar 20, 2024, 2:34 pm

Programs: UA 1K 24 years/2MM, Honors LT Diamond, AVIS & Hertz Prez Club
Originally Posted by cyclogenesis
Capt announced CH9 on a brand new A321Neo.
No one could find out how to make it work.
Could not find any reference to the Neo's having it on line... Poorly informed pilot?
The A321neo aircraft are not equipped yet, but other Airbus with United Next are. This might be a simple misunderstanding of equating Next config Airbus with having the feature. There is work underway to have it added to the 321 fleet in the future. It will show up within the IFE under Audio and then From The Flight Deck.
SPN Lifer, CJ99 and Say Vandelay like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.