Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Channel 9 Availability" Discussion Thread [Merged]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Channel 9 Availability" Discussion Thread [Merged]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2023, 11:07 am

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
Ch.9 is not available on any 737 aircraft.

It is installed on the Max 8, and newest Max 9, aircraft but there is a problem with it which allows the flight interphone to bleed into the Ch.9 feed so the system is to be off at all times until the hardware issue, causing the bleed-through, is corrected.

If it was on, it was a mistake. The switch likely was bumped after the initial cockpit preflight when it is confirmed to be off.
Old Mar 2, 2023, 7:13 pm

Originally Posted by LarryJ
Ch.9 is not available on any 737 aircraft.

It is installed on the Max 8, and newest Max 9, aircraft but there is a problem with it which allows the flight interphone to bleed into the Ch.9 feed so the system is to be off at all times until the hardware issue, causing the bleed-through, is corrected.

If it was on, it was a mistake. The switch likely was bumped after the initial cockpit preflight when it is confirmed to be off.
Does this mean that, at some point in the future, Ch 9 will be available on the Max 8 and Max 9s? If so, this is great! Hopefully it will be turned on soon.
Old Mar 2, 2023, 9:06 pm

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
Originally Posted by ef00
Does this mean that, at some point in the future, Ch 9 will be available on the Max 8 and Max 9s? If so, this is great! Hopefully it will be turned on soon.
They wouldn't have installed the hardware for it if they didn't intend to use it.
SPN Lifer, nnn and aindfan like this.
Old Mar 2, 2023, 9:09 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA Gold, SPG Plat, HH Gold
Ch 9 available EWR-SAN 757-200.
Old Mar 3, 2023, 3:45 am

Programs: UA Silver
Its the same, "From the Flight Deck"
Old Mar 15, 2023, 4:51 pm

Programs: United 1K, *wood LT Plat
No Channel 9 on 738 Max?

In flight right now and my request for Channel 9 to be turned on was declined because on a 737 Max 8, turning it on also allows passengers to hear the pilots internal comms. Anyone else that can validate?

Last edited by lilpisher; Mar 15, 2023 at 4:52 pm Reason: Clarify plane type
Old Mar 15, 2023, 6:16 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Yes, confirmed in this post.
lilpisher likes this.
Old Mar 15, 2023, 6:58 pm

Programs: United 1K, *wood LT Plat
Originally Posted by aindfan
Yes, confirmed in this post.
thanks! Was such a disappointment since this was the first flight I’ve had with a plausible Channel 9 in recent memory.
Old Mar 15, 2023, 10:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Originally Posted by lilpisher
thanks! Was such a disappointment since this was the first flight I’ve had with a plausible Channel 9 in recent memory.
See post# 316 in this thread:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/35055650-post316.html
Old Mar 21, 2023, 4:43 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Formerly Starbucks Gold
Just boarded UA1435 SFO-IAH on a 757-200 and it’s on, on the ground! I’m so happy! Should be fun since SFO weather is a mess.

edit: pilot just explicitly announced channel 9 would be available. What is going on here!? I usually have to beg and be told it’s not possible anymore.

Last edited by BThumme; Mar 21, 2023 at 5:12 pm
Old Mar 21, 2023, 4:50 pm

Duplicate, sorry.
Old Mar 21, 2023, 5:36 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Originally Posted by BThumme
Just boarded UA1435 SFO-IAH on a 757-200 and it’s on, on the ground! I’m so happy! Should be fun since SFO weather is a mess.

edit: pilot just explicitly announced channel 9 would be available. What is going on here!? I usually have to beg and be told it’s not possible anymore.
That's good to hear. I've also had it when it's been on while on the ground, and then goes silent at some point before/during taxi. Not sure if it was because the previous flight crew had left it on, and the current flight crew didn't realize it until then and turned it off.
Old Mar 21, 2023, 6:44 pm

Programs: UA 1K/2MM, SPG/Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Lifetime HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, AA Exec Plat
Was on UA 1575 DEN-PHL last Friday, a very nice 737 Max 9 with From the Flight Deck but alas it was completely silent
Old Mar 23, 2023, 9:40 am

Originally Posted by econ
That's good to hear. I've also had it when it's been on while on the ground, and then goes silent at some point before/during taxi. Not sure if it was because the previous flight crew had left it on, and the current flight crew didn't realize it until then and turned it off.
After the flight, I went up and personally thanked the pilots for this. I just said I really appreciated them having it on an letting everyone else know, and that there is a small handful of us who appreciate that. I also mentioned it's harder to get turned on these days and the pilot kind of shrugged his shoulders and said "Yeah, I know." So very glad I was able to let them know. Kudos to those guys.
Old Mar 23, 2023, 10:27 am

Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
Originally Posted by sapguy
Was on UA 1575 DEN-PHL last Friday, a very nice 737 Max 9 with From the Flight Deck but alas it was completely silent
The 737-8 an 739-9 (with new entertainment systems) have the capability, but it's not yet certified for use. It seems there's some leakage between radio channels, so the pilots have been instructed to keep it off on these models.
SPN Lifer likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.