Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Lap Infant Ticket Pricing with Upgrade / Award Seat

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 17, 2016, 10:44 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
U.S. domestic flights (including flights to Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands): lap child is free, no ticket required. Can be arranged at check-in

For flights between the U.S., Canada and Mexico: ticket is required, and you pay only taxes.

International flights (including flights to Guam): ticket is required and charged a partial fare based on the destination.

Traditionally UA has used the 10% as appears below (IATA policy), some recent reports suggest UA is capping this at $250+taxes for award tickets, unclear if this applies to upgrades -- no clear posted policy

For non-domestic trips, lap-child is charged 10% price of an adult ticket for the cabin you are booked into.
If upgraded, then it is 10% of the upgraded cabin.
The price is determine at time of purchase of the lap-child ticket.

related threads: Lapchild fee not charged at booking

Traveling with lap child on international business class

archive: Lap Infant Ticket Pricing with Upgrade / Award Seat {Archive}
Print Wikipost

Lap Infant Ticket Pricing with Upgrade / Award Seat

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2019, 4:38 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by jackkyxu
.... does this rule apply here for this infant ticket or it only applied to award ticket from aeroplan ....
not aware of any AC exception.

Is this a North American flight or intercontinental?

For the longer flights it is 10% of a cash fare regardless if the adult is cash or award.
Old Apr 18, 2019, 4:42 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
not aware of any AC exception.

Is this a North American flight or intercontinental?

For the longer flights it is 10% of a cash fare regardless if the adult is cash or award.
international

aeroplan/ac has lapchild fare quite cheap , as I was trying to take advantage of
Old Apr 18, 2019, 4:51 pm

Programs: Coffee Shop Buy 10 Get 1 Free
You need to go through UA to add infant regardless of carrier you are on, which is 10% of adult fare since they are the ticketing carrier. AC does only charge nominal cash price (which quoted above is CAD$ as well, so even less in USD$) be booked through AC using Aeroplan, not booked via MP
Old Apr 18, 2019, 5:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

aeroplan/ac has lapchild fare quite cheap , as I was trying to take advantage of
UA will not be able to offer those fares.

Originally Posted by DG206
You need to go through UA to add infant regardless of carrier you are on, which is 10% of adult fare since they are the ticketing carrier. AC does only charge nominal cash price (which quoted above is CAD$ as well, so even less in USD$) be booked through AC using Aeroplan, not booked via MP
Precisely. When redeeming MileagePlus miles, you're subject to UA's policies for ticketing, etc. You can see the same thing in award pricing -- a seat might be 30K miles on Aeroplan and 50K miles on MileagePlus.
Old Apr 18, 2019, 6:09 pm

Originally Posted by DG206
thanks
Old Apr 19, 2019, 8:20 am

Programs: Coffee Shop Buy 10 Get 1 Free
thanks
Good luck, great you are taking your young one to see Europe and the world at a young age. We took our 6mo old to CPH and wound our way down to leave from Paris this past Christmas and was just a great experience for our new family to enjoy, and in the process transferred my Amex MR points to Aeroplan booked on TK, hence I have the experience with AC and lap infants
Old Apr 26, 2019, 3:43 pm

United quoted me $700 for infant fee when I try to use miles for Eva Air one way J seat from LAX - SGN. That means the full fare is 7000 dollars for one way J revenue price. Does that sound right? , It only cost $600 total for both of us in Economy. I guess we will just suffer in economy for this flight LOL
Old Apr 26, 2019, 3:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hondaman82
United quoted me $700 for infant fee when I try to use miles for Eva Air one way J seat from LAX - SGN. That means the full fare is 7000 dollars for one way J revenue price. Does that sound right?
Yes, as EVA Air does not allow UA to access any of their discount fares.
Old Dec 30, 2019, 4:59 pm

Programs: Sixt diamond, star alliance gold, lh senator
GPU with lap infant

I have an international flights scheduled with a lap infant, my GPU/PP just cleared into Polaris for one of the segments, does anyone know if i must call UA to pay additional for 10% of Polaris? I spoke to them today in re to the reservation and the rep hasn't mentioned anything about it.

Thank you

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Dec 30, 2019 at 5:26 pm Reason: moved to existing thread
Old Dec 30, 2019, 6:02 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Euflyer
I have an international flights scheduled with a lap infant, my GPU/PP just cleared into Polaris for one of the segments, does anyone know if i must call UA to pay additional for 10% of Polaris? ...
Beleive that is the standard policy and it is the 10% of the going price at the time of paying the fee, so can be quite pricely of the discount fares are not available.
Old Dec 30, 2019, 6:10 pm

You're sure ? Since my daughter is already ticketed no chance we would just be able to check in? I should rather call now while P is still available to get her re ticketed in P?
Old Dec 30, 2019, 6:21 pm

Originally Posted by Euflyer
You're sure ? Since my daughter is already ticketed no chance we would just be able to check in? I should rather call now while P is still available to get her re ticketed in P?
It has been a long time since I have done this, but if already ticketed you may be OK -- but better for others to weigh-in
Originally Posted by emcampbe
IIRC, from reports in some other thread, at least with UA metal, I believe the answer was most of the time that if the upgrade cleared after the lap infant was ticketed, they didn't collect anything additional, but if the upgrades cleared and you ticket the lap infants afterwards, they'd be charged 10% of the business fare. Someone I'm sure can verify. Either way, not sure if this would be the same if its LH metal and not UA.
Old Dec 30, 2019, 8:26 pm

Thank you. Can anyone else way in please?
Old Dec 31, 2019, 6:36 am

Programs: UA Aluminum 0.6MM, Bonvoy Life Sentence, Hyatt Eliteist, AA Super Plutonium
The policy is pretty clear. If you like to gamble, you may be in trouble on day of departure of only J is available.

I’ve had several domestic itineraries where my son was ticketed from the day I booked the ticket, then fell off at check in and had to be re-added by the agent at the airport. It wasn’t just that I needed to get a physical boarding pass. They re-asked me his name, DOB, who he was traveling with (me or my wife) etc. There seems to be some correlation with this happening on itineraries that are split for CPU/instrument upgrade waitlists, but I haven’t had it happen enough times to confirm that.
Old Dec 31, 2019, 11:55 pm

Thank you for sharing your thoughts and experiences

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.