Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Economy Plus (E+) - Questions/Worth It?/Experiences [Archive]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA Economy Plus (E+) - Questions/Worth It?/Experiences [Archive]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18, 2015, 11:15 am

Originally Posted by SusanDK
I've booked a TATL flight with SK in their premium economy with domestic connecting flights on UA. Trying to select seats, I'm not permitted to select E+ on UA despite have an E+ ticket (SK). I have no status.

Is it worth a call, or am I unlikely to get E+ seats on the UA flights? For one of the flights, all regular economy seats are filled so I am unable to make any seat selection. Flight is about a month out.
If you booked through SK you probably don't have access to book seats on UA. Just like my upcoming flight on OS to VIE, booked through UA. But I found a work around.

You might try going to the UA site and entering your SK confirmation number. It may then show your equivalent UA number. Using that, you might be able to go in and buy up to E+ on the UA leg. Your purchase of E+ seats on SK won't carry over to UA as UA sells them on a 'per leg' basis.

If you can't get a UA confirmation # call UA and do it over the phone.
They should be happy to see you the upgrade to E+. If it's a short flight, it might not be worth it to you. For the leg that shows no empty Econ seats there's a good chance they'll put you into E+ anyway at no charge.
Old Aug 18, 2015, 1:46 pm

Thanks to all for the helpful information. I shall plan accordingly. Kensterfly, I have logged into my booking on UA's site and could buy E+ for $75 each but I think $150 for the two of us is quite pricey for a single flight which you rightly point out is fairly short (EWR-MCO), especially as our tickets are already quite expensive. I'll keep an eye on the seats and hope I'm able to select something during OLCI. Cheers.
Old Aug 19, 2015, 10:06 am

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by SusanDK
..could buy E+ for $75 each but I think $150 for the two of us is quite pricey for a single flight which you rightly point out is fairly short..
Unless you are a giant or knee-hysteric, the 'upgrade' hardly noticeable. E+ is far, far removed from a Premium Economy product and not worth cash unless you are on a true longhaul.
Old Aug 20, 2015, 7:23 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.1MM, CX Diam 1.0MM, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hertz PC, MGM Pearl
Originally Posted by hoopics
A work colleague and I just flew to Houston. We had different flights down, but the same flight back to DCA, so different PNRs. I'm Silver, my colleague is a member of the unwashed masses. I went to the Premier desk, indicated that she was my travel companion but on a different PNR, and asked that she be moved next to me in E+. They flatly refused, and said that if the PNRs are different, then the second passenger isn't a "companion" and needs to pay for E+. They suggested that "maybe" the gate could help, but that it was against the rules. Things were in minor chaos at the gate (thunderstorms were rolling through IAH and everything was running late), and my colleague didn't really have a problem with her E- aisle seat, so I didn't renew the request. But I do wonder, were the folks at the checkin desk correct on this?
The Premier desk was incorrect. I would have gone to one of the customer service desks in IAH instead of the Premier Desk to upgrade your colleague.
Being a Platinum and encountering many of my colleagues (who have no status whatsoever) with different PNRs on connecting flights, I have yet to have this lie said to me by any UA employee and have had no issues with upgrading my companions into E+. Only issue has been when E+ has been completely full.
Old Aug 24, 2015, 1:06 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Formerly Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by mjcewl1284
The Premier desk was incorrect. I would have gone to one of the customer service desks in IAH instead of the Premier Desk to upgrade your colleague.
Being a Platinum and encountering many of my colleagues (who have no status whatsoever) with different PNRs on connecting flights, I have yet to have this lie said to me by any UA employee and have had no issues with upgrading my companions into E+. Only issue has been when E+ has been completely full.
Wanted to chime in on this from my very recent experience.

I'm UA Silver. I was flying A-B-C, and my companion B-C. DIfferent PNRs of course. At about T-26 or so I called the UA desk asking if they could link our PNRs so that I could give my companion E+ with me at check in (even though I read here they don't link). The agent said they don't link but that she could just put us together right then, and she did. So I got E+ before check in (albeit 3am at a 5am check in time), and got to sit in the exit row with my companion. I called at 3am Central time so not sure where my call got routed to (agent sounded asian), but whole process took about 2.5 minutes. ^
Old Aug 27, 2015, 5:43 pm

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by BThumme
..The agent said they don't link but that she could just put us together right then, and she did. So I got E+ before check in..
As for TOD upgrades, they seem to be harsher with 1Ks on these matters .
Old Sep 1, 2015, 5:47 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, A3 Gold
I am planning a trip (DXB-YYZ) in October but have not booked yet. How can I book the E+ seats while making the booking? Do I need to book and pay for an economy seat(s) first, and THEN pay for an upgrade and then make E+ seat selections?

At 6'5" the DXB-IAD flight will be a real bear to handle - even with a drink or two. Suggestions and info will be appreciated. I usually for OW through Europe but those flights are significantly more expensive and land in YYZ too late in the day for me to attend a projected meeting, hence the plan to fly UA.

FWIW, I searched this forum but did not find any specific info If it is there, my apologies for asking again.
Old Sep 1, 2015, 5:52 am

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
IIRC, if you're booking on United.com you can just select the seats as you're booking the ticket and it the cost will be added as an optional service to the ticket total.

Otherwise, book, pay for ticket, after ticket is issued select E+ seats, pay for seats.

(I don't think I've ever paid for E+ based on status, but I have helped status-free coworkers book)
Old Sep 1, 2015, 9:36 am

Earning on E+ upgrade of reward booking?

Might be a dumb question, but if I paid cash to upgrade a reward booking to E+, will I earn any miles? Thanks!
Old Sep 1, 2015, 9:36 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, A3 Gold
Originally Posted by lincolnjkc
IIRC, if you're booking on United.com you can just select the seats as you're booking the ticket and it the cost will be added as an optional service to the ticket total.

Otherwise, book, pay for ticket, after ticket is issued select E+ seats, pay for seats.

(I don't think I've ever paid for E+ based on status, but I have helped status-free coworkers book)
THANK YOU for this advice
Old Sep 1, 2015, 10:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by wroxpopuli
Might be a dumb question, but if I paid cash to upgrade a reward booking to E+, will I earn any miles? Thanks!
That purchase counts towards PQDS - so that aspect of Premier Status. It does not earn PQMs, and only earns RDMs if using a United-branded credit card - in that sense, almost the same as any other purchase (except for the bonus for UA purchases).
Old Sep 6, 2015, 4:15 am

Programs: FB Platinum | A3 Gold | BA Silver
I feel like I should post my UA E+ experiences here. I know very well that it is not possible for Star Alliance Gold members to select an E+ seat at any time (not even when checking in).

Rewind a little bit. It is December 2013 and I am flying AMS-ORD. I never selected a seat because I was hopeful that E- would be full and therefore I would be put in E+. This actually happened and I got a D seat somewhere. Side story: After settling in the ground agent came to my seat and asked me to get up. I looked confused and it turned out I got an op up to J... excellent.
For the return I never selected a seat either, and it turns out I got put in E+.

Now fast forward to August 2015. Flying UA domestically on a LAX-IAD red-eye. On the day of departure I check my seat assignment and thankfully found I had been put in E+.

So the takeaway here for fellow *G members is not to select your seat at all and let UA put you in E+
Old Sep 6, 2015, 7:18 am

Originally Posted by foxtwo
So the takeaway here for fellow *G members is not to select your seat at all and let UA put you in E+
You can always monitor the seat map and if E+ get very close to full you can grab a decent seat in E- .

Which brings up a question...
Would you rather have a middle seat in E+ or an aisle/window in E-?
Disregard bulkhead or exit rows in your consideration.
Old Sep 6, 2015, 10:00 am

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Kensterfly
You can always monitor the seat map and if E+ get very close to full you can grab a decent seat in E- .

Which brings up a question...
Would you rather have a middle seat in E+ or an aisle/window in E-?
Disregard bulkhead or exit rows in your consideration.
I get mildly claustrophobic if I can't see out of the aircraft... So E- window hands down over e+ middle or asile. Probably e- asile over middle bit that's not as definate
Old Sep 6, 2015, 8:23 pm

Programs: UA, 1K 2MM
SFO-SYD flattering review of UA E+

http://www.traveller.com.au/flight-t...-sydney-gj8px3

A very positive review of UA E+ from this journalist who flew courtesy of UA. Row 20, best seats in E on the 777-200 - how lucky.

Got to love the comment:

"This was my first flight with United where passengers and staff didn't appear grumpy and disgruntled. A much improved performance, United – bravo!"

Maybe it had something to do with their guest reviewer on board....how cynical of me

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.