Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Economy Plus (E+) - Questions/Worth It?/Experiences [Archive]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA Economy Plus (E+) - Questions/Worth It?/Experiences [Archive]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2010, 10:18 pm

Programs: United Premier Executive ; Frontier Summit
Thanks

Thanks. I'm only 6'0 but on the large side. I was thinking the same thing that long of flight you need "wiggle" room to adjust while sleepIng
Old Jan 6, 2010, 11:09 pm

if you're using miles (which i'm suspecting since you mentioned miles), then given the same redemption level i'd choose UA for E+ over CO/US/LH for sure, especially if the routing is better (i.e., fewer stops).

out of UA, CO, US, and LH, i've taken UA US and LH TATL and in Y, they're pretty much all the same to me in terms of seat comfort and service (i'm not very picky, admittedly), although i appreciate LH because they can make you apfelschorle and have german-language programming (which i appreciate not only because i went to school in germany, but also because it kinda feels more european [the point of a vacation for me, soaking in other cultures] from the get-go).

have fun on your trip!
Old Jan 6, 2010, 11:18 pm

E vs. E+

Hey Everyone!

I am making a transatlantic flight next week and I need the opinion of the ft community on this one:

I have 39A on a UA 777; however, I could opt for E+ for $97. But is it worth it?

About a month ago I was in 41A and I could barely sleep because the engines made the side panels vibrate so much. I know one of the big things about E+ is legroom which doesn't effect me too much because I am pretty small.

Bottom line, I am willing to pay for E+ only if it's considerably better.

P.S. Go easy on me I am a ft novice, and I realize I may not be asking the right questions. But I have to learn...
Old Jan 6, 2010, 11:21 pm

Programs: AA, HH, Hyatt Gold, Marriott Platinum, UA, DL, US
$97? Don't buy drinks in the airport and 'spring' for it. You'll be happier, with more legroom and seats in front of the engines, hence much less noise and a little less vibration.
Old Jan 6, 2010, 11:22 pm

Programs: AA PP, Hilton/MR Gold
Originally Posted by tombourn
Only have 110,000 miles now.
If you absolutely have to fly coach, I would say Economy+ is totally worth it. I am 6'4" and I cannot imagine flying in regular economy, especially TATL. At 6'0" I suspect you would still rather appreciate the extra leg room.

It may be a bit of a stretch, but one suggestion is to use 105k miles for your wife for a business class ticket and then either try and pick up a cheap Z fare for yourself (there are some good deals going on right now) or buy a W fare and trade for 2x SWUs here on FT. IMHO anything to avoid 7-8 hours of Y.
Old Jan 6, 2010, 11:25 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA1MM PLTPRO, Hertz PC, National EXC, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Hello Gringo,

Good question, and it gets asked here a lot. It really comes down to what $97.00 means to you. You'll find that there is about 5" more legroom in E+, and that you'll get your meal choice sooner, and off sooner, too, and recent reports of an amenity kit in int'l E+, but other than that, service is the same as E-, and I'm guessing that you'd have some vibration on the side panels (though I have never noticed this in E+, and have, thankfully, never sat in the back of the 777). Hopefully this helps!
Old Jan 6, 2010, 11:33 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, UA 1.56MM (fmr UA1K)
LH Y is horribly cramped and has poor IFE on many equipment types. I try to avoid LH Y if at all possible.

CO is great for IFE (but not AVOD) but is cramped. Be careful of all those 757s they run to Europe.... I find EWR to be a nightmare.

UA is best with E+ but the 747 IFE is not personal seatback IFE.

OF course, depending on where you're flying out of a non-stop might be important... so that might trump space of IFE issues.
Old Jan 6, 2010, 11:39 pm

Programs: UA--no longer 2P as of 3/2012 and don't even care. Never thought I'd say that.
Originally Posted by sandiegofun
I won't fly TATL or TPAC in economy unless in E+ or an exit row. That means for me UA on all intl flights with the family, as the kids can't sit in an exit. 4-6 inches of extra legroom is the difference between semi bearable and deadly for me.
+1 all the way.
Old Jan 6, 2010, 11:41 pm

Good info, I will admit $97 for me is not pocket change. I am a student, but also a mega geek and being in E+ will make me much happier.

Can anybody else share their experiences on a UA 777 in E+?
Old Jan 6, 2010, 11:58 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA1MM PLTPRO, Hertz PC, National EXC, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
You should be able to look at the seatmap for E+ in the "travel options" portion of .bomb and see what seats are available in E+. If 21H or 21J are available, GO FOR IT! Just don't tell anybody else about them, please
Old Jan 7, 2010, 12:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold, 1 MM
It might be helpful for someone to let you know what the E+ seating on your flight looks like. If you give up 39A in E-, you run the risk of trading it for a middle seat in E+. On the flip side, there's the chance to hit the jackpot - 21H or 21J on the 777XC - seats with tons of legroom that might get freed up if the smart flyers who chose them in the first place had their upgrades clear.

If you provide the flight number and day, I'd be happy to have a look at how E+ is shaping up.
Old Jan 7, 2010, 12:30 am

Originally Posted by gringo430
Can anybody else share their experiences on a UA 777 in E+?
other than the food/drink service being earlier and the possibility of an amenity kit (both mentioned) that's about the only difference in E+ besides the legroom.

you may be further away from the wing so there would be less vibration, though i'm an aisle-sitter so don't really have anything to compare to.

if you can get your seat preference (window?) i think it's probably worth it, especially if the flight is a longer one, just so you can shift around a bit and you're not so confined. (also it makes it a bit easier should you need to go to the bathroom and you're at a window seat!)
Old Jan 7, 2010, 12:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

UA E+ is definitely nice for a TATL flight, but I wouldn't use that criteria to pick my destination. Even if you limit yourself to UA for your TATL segment, you could certainly use one of the many European *A airlines to get from the UA city (Amsterdam, Frankfurt, Rome, Munich, London, Brussels, ...) to your final destination, perhaps with a stopover in one direction.
Old Jan 7, 2010, 2:21 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by jonk
other than the food/drink service being earlier and the possibility of an amenity kit (both mentioned) that's about the only difference in E+ besides the legroom.
You also have a better chance to beat the unwashed masses to immigration/customs. And possibly get a newspaper on board from the surplus not handed out to F/C customers.
Old Jan 7, 2010, 2:31 pm

Programs: AA Gold, DL Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold, Starwood Gold, too many cruise programs to list
I'm a short person (under 5' tall) and there's no way I'd consider United TATL except in E+. While you may not need the leg room in the same way a 6'+ tall person does, that extra few inches of seat pitch means more comfort all the way around. If the person in front of you reclines fully, you don't have their snoring head in your lap. You can get out from a window seat during the flight much more easily. And it's amazing how the visual impact of not having a solid object that close to your face for 8 hours makes for a more pleasant flight.

The E+ 777 flights are quite comfortable in E+ and for under $100, I'd personally take it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.