Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Overseas/traveling 1K members can call US 1K line for free from abroad

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Overseas/traveling 1K members can call US 1K line for free from abroad

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27, 2013, 6:15 pm

Originally Posted by Often1
Put simply, there's no advantage in dialing any one UA # over another.
Not entirely true. If you call the GS number from a random phone you get the GS desk immediately without having to put in a MP number, etc. Of course, I imagine you'd get transferred as soon as you gave them a PNR of MP number that wasn't associated with a GS account.
Old Apr 27, 2013, 6:43 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Publishing the 1K # no longer matters. ....
Not sure that is correct for the USADirect method -- but agree it is true in North America.
Old Apr 27, 2013, 8:23 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Publishing the 1K # no longer matters. You can call the 1K #, enter a Silver # and you will be directed to the appropriate place. Similarly, call the general # and enter 1K #, and you will be directed to 1K (such as it is). If you don't enter any MP#, you go to the kettle queue.
Unless things have changed recently, that's NOT the case when calling via AT&T USA Direct, which is what this thread is about.
Old Apr 28, 2013, 2:13 am

Programs: was UA 1K now Gold, cuz UA 1.3 MM; HA,DL,AS (no status in these), Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by LilAbner
As others have stated --- use Skype!
You need to remove the 1K phone # from your OP~
I defer to the moderator who removed the specific details of the 1K number from my post although whenever I call that number i am asked to validate my status via MP# or when it recognizes the phone I'm using & yet still asks about the 1st five letters of my given name (none of which have any relationship to my FT handle). So not sure what a random user might do with the 1K phone number. But again, I defer to the moderator's judgement.
Old Apr 28, 2013, 10:21 am

Originally Posted by BH62
I have a wallet-size card “Premier 1K 1Call” that lists numbers to access the US-based 1K desk from overseas. Don’t recall how long I’ve had it, so it may be an obsolete relic from pre-merger days. The instructions are, say from Hong Kong, first dial 800-96-1111 & then when asked enter 800-***-****. Using an iPhone4 I keep getting a “call failed” response. The instructions also say for other info go to United.com/wwcontacts, but that leads nowhere. Question: is the toll-free overseas calls method still valid & if so, what is the correct protocol, esp from HKG?
The other thing to do is the replace the "800" in the toll free number with "880" as described here: http://www.howtocallabroad.com/qa/toll-free.html.

I had the same problem calling the 1K number from my company BlackBerry in Italy. Change the 800 to 880 and it went through like normal.
Old Apr 28, 2013, 11:19 am

Programs: UA 1K
The AT&T no. works fine from Israel, I regularly use it.
Old Jan 19, 2014, 6:38 am
Suspended

Programs: AC E50 UA1k 2MM AA EXP Royal Ambassador SPG Platinum
I just used the ATT direct dial today and it did not ask me for my United #.
Old Jan 19, 2014, 12:41 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by flybit
I just used the ATT direct dial today and it did not ask me for my United #.
AFAIK, it never has.
Old Sep 22, 2014, 8:24 am

Programs: UA 1k, AA EXPLT, NZ GE, VA PLT Hyatt Diam, Marr Plat, HH Diam
Collect calls to 1k desk.

I'm overseas and in a country that doesn't have an ATT direct access number. I also don't have my 1k card with me. Can someone advise if the 1k card also has a direct dial "we accept collect calls" Number on it.
thanks!
Old Sep 22, 2014, 9:50 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, HH Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by SFO_FT
I'm overseas and in a country that doesn't have an ATT direct access number. I also don't have my 1k card with me. Can someone advise if the 1k card also has a direct dial "we accept collect calls" Number on it.
thanks!
No, the card does not list "...a direct dial "we accept collect calls" Number on it.
Old Sep 22, 2014, 9:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Originally Posted by mdobbins
No, the card does not list "...a direct dial "we accept collect calls" Number on it.
Skype. You can call any number from anywhere for free. Not sure how you'll beat that.
Old Sep 22, 2014, 10:42 am

Programs: UA Gold
I was sitting at the gate 2 weeks ago in MUC, as my departure time came and went I called the Premier line using the 800 phone number to be protected on a late flight out of IAH. The 800 number didn't auto-recognize like it normally does but the agent picked up right away. Was surprised that it worked, but glad that it did.
Old Sep 22, 2014, 1:01 pm

Programs: UA 1k, AA EXPLT, NZ GE, VA PLT Hyatt Diam, Marr Plat, HH Diam
Originally Posted by Tchiowa
Skype. You can call any number from anywhere for free. Not sure how you'll beat that.
Dodgy internet where I am unfortunately so no go on Skype! Thanks to all that helped.
Old Sep 22, 2014, 1:02 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by SFO_FT
Dodgy internet where I am unfortunately so no go on Skype! Thanks to all that helped.
If you have cell data roaming, you can use VOIP as a data call.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.