Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Singing the Praises of Captain Molly Flanagan [Merged]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Singing the Praises of Captain Molly Flanagan [Merged]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7, 2007, 5:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA MM, AS MVPG75K, Marriott Lifetime Gold
Thumbs up Singing the Praises of Captain Molly Flanagan [Merged]

Was on UA 509 last night in F (a great use of 2 e500s) from DEN-SEA. As soon as I sat down I knew it was going to be an interesting flight for two reasons - FAs offered pre-flight drinks (not just OJ & water), and because there was a gentleman in casual dress up talking with the Pilot and First Officer who didn't appear to be a FAM. As we were about ready to close the doors, the gentleman came back to his seat (5C) and moved up to an open 1C.

The pilot came out of the cockpit, and introduced herself - Captain Molly Flanagan. She told us that we should be in 10 minutes early due to lesser winds, and she said she was very happy to have her husband (the gentleman in 1C) flying with us tonight. She finished her quick introduction, gave her husband a quick kiss and headed back to the cockpit.

We taxied out to the runway and Capt Flanagan came over the PA to announce that they had a maintenance issue that they were unable to fix onboard - the spoiler indicator light, if I recall correctly. A few more minutes of taxi and we were back at the gate.

Once at the gate, Capt Flanagan came over the PA to explain more about the situation and the possible solutions - solve the issue or reboot the system or take the system offline - all of them would take at least 30 minutes and the maintenance folks were in route. She also offered the chance for pax to come up and see the cockpit - I haven't seen that on UA in a long time.

A number of folks went up, FAs poured another round of drinks, Mr Flanagan was up speaking with his wife... all in all it was a manageable delay.

Maintenance folks made it onboard and fixed the issue in about 35 minutes.

During this time I popped forward to chat with Mr Flanagan as Molly had noted that he too was a pilot. He introduced himself as Keith and said he was retired from Alaska, Horizon, and military flying. I noted that his wife and Denny (who he confirmed was unrelated) are highly praised on FT. He said he had never heard of the site but that he felt Denny and Molly had taken similar approaches to make the passenger truly feel welcomed. He took down the FT web address and called over Molly to relay the story - she thanked me, introduced herself and they said they'd check it out when they got home.

Here's to hoping there can be more Flanagans in the world, Molly, Keith, and Denny.
Old Dec 7, 2007, 6:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Wow, awesome story, she's truly amazing based on what I have heard!^

Funny story about the relation to Captain Denny Flanagan. I was flying out of SEA once and the FA's were telling me that Captain Denny Flanagan had a sister based out of SEA that was also a captain, which seemed fitting since they are both excellent. So at the maintenance tour I had the opportunity to speak with Captain Denny Flanagan for a while, and thought I would sound smart by mentioning how great his sister was too, and he gave me a blank look. Apparently he knew of her and she is part of his "good service" group (that's what I'll call it, forgot the actual name), but they are indeed unrelated.
Old Dec 7, 2007, 6:09 pm
Original Poster

One other note - Molly mentioned she has seniority over Denny
Old Dec 7, 2007, 6:16 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K (until it expires then never again), *wood Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by lucky9876coins
I would sound smart by mentioning how great his sister was too, and he gave me a blank look. ...
Well telling someone how great their sister is will best case get a blank look, others might respond in a considerably different way
Old Dec 7, 2007, 6:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ryan182
Well telling someone how great their sister is will best case get a blank look, others might respond in a considerably different way
LMAO, oops!
Old Dec 7, 2007, 9:25 pm

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
Mrs. Fredd and I have also had the pleasure of flying with Captain Molly Flanagan - I believe that was the first of only a couple of times that a pilot has signed a business card with a nice note. ^

I had wondered and was interested to learn in another recent thread that it's something of a coincidence that, although there are two great pilots named Flanagan, they are not related.

Cheers,
Fredd

Last edited by Fredd; Dec 7, 2007 at 9:33 pm Reason: typo
Old Dec 7, 2007, 9:32 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, UA 1K MM, SPG Plat For Life, Marriott Plat, Nexus/GlobalEntry
I've had her as the captain on a few flights on 757's and once on a 767 always IAD-SEA. She is the best!
Old Dec 7, 2007, 9:43 pm

Programs: UA Gold; AA; Amtrak Select Plus;HH Diamond;Hyatt Disc;Hertz PC; Total Wine Grand Reserve!
Originally Posted by bmvaughn
He took down the FT web address and called over Molly to relay the story - she thanked me, introduced herself and they said they'd check it out when they got home.

Here's to hoping there can be more Flanagans in the world, Molly, Keith, and Denny.
Wouldn't it be totally cool if they started contributing to this forum!!!
Old Dec 7, 2007, 9:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rittenhousesq
Hah, well I can safely say that Captain Denny Flanagan has tried, but remember when he was doing the media circuit he said he didn't know how to use a computer. Well, he certainly has seen FT and knows us as "the airline trekkies," and I know he's with us in spirit.

Hmm, let me see if I can find the pic of him on FT somewhere...

Edit, here it is:
http://s3.photobucket.com/albums/y96...t=IMG_6650.jpg

Last edited by lucky9876coins; Dec 7, 2007 at 10:27 pm
Old Dec 7, 2007, 10:24 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rittenhousesq
That's my hope. Keith sounded as though he looked forward to checking out the praise that his wife had been receiving.
Old Dec 7, 2007, 10:25 pm

Location: Since the BoSox and ChiSox won it, now it is the Cubs turn to take the Series. Go Cubs Go!
I had the pleasure of being on a flight piloted by Capt. Molly Flanagan, and it was one of my best flying experiences ever. We received her UA business card with a note on the back thanking us for our business. The FA service was some of the most attentive I have received, although only drinks were served during the afternoon hours. The flight was smooth and punctual. United could use employees like this to be mentors for others as to what constitutes excellent service.
Old Dec 7, 2007, 11:29 pm

Programs: AS MVP 100K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, UA 1MM,
Interesting! I just finished my email to Customer Relations about this flight. I was on Molly Flanagan's flight in from SEA to DEN that night that arrived at 645p. I was remarking how wonderful it was that she came out into the F class cabin and introduced herself. The purser on that flight, Kim, was also wonderful.

The co-pilot was a female as well, and Molly had said that she was the one who was going to be getting us to Denver that night.
Old Dec 7, 2007, 11:53 pm

Molly rocks!

I have had the pleasure of flying with Molly quite a bit - I have a collection of her business cards It has always been quite a treat to have her in the captain's seat. ^^
Old Dec 8, 2007, 9:48 am

Programs: UA 3K UGS 3MM
Yup - she is great. She flys 757s and 767s and is based in Seattle. She flys the 916/917 SEA-IAD-SEA flight.
Old Jan 18, 2008, 8:27 am

Programs: UA 1K & 1MM/AA Gold & 1MM/HH Gold/Marriott Titanium
Got my first business card from a UA pilot

Last night on UA 932, DEN-IAD at 1535 on Boeing 757.

Before departing, the captain came out of the cockpit and stood in the front of first class. She introduced herself, identified the first office, their base (SEA) and gave us a few tidbits about the flight.

And about 45 minutes before landing, the flight attendants distributed personalized business cards to all F passengers (the 2 FAMs didn't get them ).

On the back she wrote:

Dear Mr. TWA Guy,
Welcome to our
friendly skies!
-Capt. _________

Very nice touch and sure beat the medical incident we had on UA903 the night before!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.