Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "How to Keep/Refresh Expiring Miles" Thread [ARCHIVE]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 1, 2013, 7:10 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: wannabe_plat
If you want to keep all your existing miles, and thus want some new miles to post quickly and reliably, here are some ways, from cheapest to most expensive:
  1. Take a survey at opinionmilesclub.com - not sure how long this takes to post.
  2. If you have a United credit card, downgrade it to the no fee version that gives 1 mile/$2 and use it every so often. Will help with aging as well which is good for your credit score.
  3. Buy a $5 giftcard (to Amazon or a local store) using the MileagePlusX app - miles post within seconds of making payment.
  4. Dining option still works (as of May 22, 2014). Posted to United in about 3 weeks after activity. I think it is one of the easiest options. No need to even take survey if you dont want extra survey points. I didn't do it.
  5. Buy a gift card and trade it to United for miles. See http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/21020349-post702.html for an example that cost $15, and resulted in miles posting in under 24 hours. If you are not a U.S. resident, then buy an acceptable gift card on eBay and ask seller to email you the gift card number and pin. The gift card can be purchased with anyone's credit card (or cash) and applied to anyone's M+ number (name on credit card and M+ account need not match). It is not known if e-gift cards work. Physical gift cards known to work are:
    • Lowes (home hardware, not hotel)
    • Barnes and Noble
      2013 Update: - Ref, Ref
      - Online bought GCs (i.e. e GCs) are not working successfully - Failed: Walmart, Lowes, NewEgg
      - Store bought cards that worked recently as per some members: Target, B&N
  6. Buy miles directly from United. http://www.ualmiles.com/PersonalMile...Personal+Miles. The minimum purchase is about $75.
  7. Buy a ticket on united.com, and once it tickets, purchase award maximizer. Look for a flight with a short distance, such as COS/DEN to keep the award maximizer cost low. Miles will post in under 24 hours. Cancel ticket within 24 hours to get a full refund.
    2013 Update: Ref, Ref
    This seems to be the simplest way to do it for low cost, without much running around or waiting or donating miles.
    - Bought an IAH > Austin ticket for 69/79 $.
    - Went back in to change/ modify ticket reservation and then Award Acc was offered - 500 miles for 17$. Bought it.
    - Miles posted in few hours. Cancelled the ticket. Refund to Visa card pending.
    Note: Buy any low cost short distance ticket, go back in and buy award accelerator and then cancel in 24 hr after award miles post.
Using miles for travel or upgrades or UC subscription is a mileage activity that will also reset the expiration. However those worried about expiration tend not to be regular travelers, so some not travel mileage uses for resetting expiration date are
  1. Magazine subscriptions
  2. Charitable giving
  3. Mileage Purchases -- generally a poor use of miles
If your miles have expired, there are a couple of ways to re-instate the lost miles
  1. Reinstatement Miles for a fee -- if the expiration is as recent as 18 months ago, for roughly 0.2 to 0.3cpm
  2. Find a recent (last 12 months typically) hotel stay or rental car credit that has not yet been posted. If the date was prior to expiration that should reinstate the expired miles.
Print Wikipost

Consolidated "How to Keep/Refresh Expiring Miles" Thread [ARCHIVE]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21, 2013, 7:46 pm

Programs: One or two :)
Oh no, it wasn't an authentic cable... Just used as a spare / backup. But yes, the cost was US$4.11 including shipping, and a reset of my foreign friend's mileage expiration date to 1/31/2015 a couple weeks later.
Old Jul 21, 2013, 8:28 pm

Originally Posted by COIAHLGW
Oh no, it wasn't an authentic cable... Just used as a spare / backup. But yes, the cost was US$4.11 including shipping, and a reset of my foreign friend's mileage expiration date to 1/31/2015 a couple weeks later.
gotcha...thanks
Old Jul 24, 2013, 12:30 pm

Expiring Miles

I have approximately 300,000 miles that all came from the Continental's OnePass Program. Of course, while Continental, the OnePass miles did not expire. Now with the merger, I see on the United Airlines website, that the "Mileage Expiration" is 9/30/2013.

I flew on Copa last month, but since I used award miles for the ticket, I did not earn any miles. I do not have any plans on flying between now and 9/30/2013.

Since I will not be traveling, what is least expensive way to earn a few miles to extend the mileage expiration another 18 months?

Thanks,

Anovice
Old Jul 24, 2013, 12:48 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, AA Plt, Hyatt Plt
buy some flowers.......
Old Jul 24, 2013, 12:52 pm

Programs: UA lifetime gold; Hilton Gold; Marriott/SPG Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by Anovice
I have approximately 300,000 miles that all came from the Continental's OnePass Program. Of course, while Continental, the OnePass miles did not expire. Now with the merger, I see on the United Airlines website, that the "Mileage Expiration" is 9/30/2013.

I flew on Copa last month, but since I used award miles for the ticket, I did not earn any miles. I do not have any plans on flying between now and 9/30/2013.

Since I will not be traveling, what is least expensive way to earn a few miles to extend the mileage expiration another 18 months?

Thanks,

Anovice

Welcome to FT
If you used award miles that came from your UA account, that should be valid for extension of your miles. Should I assume you used somebody else's account for the award travel?
Your options are either spending or posting some new miles.
You can buy some magazines with miles (as low as 500 miles) or you can use one of the links on UA.com to purchase stuff (from tons of providers) that will give you some miles.
If you have a co-branded Chase card then you can avoid all this hassle.

On a different note, why keep 300,000 miles around. It ain't no retirement fund and chances are the miles will devaluate faster than most investments.
Old Jul 24, 2013, 12:53 pm

Programs: UA Plat, AS MVP, HH Gold, MR Gold
Did you use a different account for your Copa flight? Redeeming miles for that ticket should have gotten you 18 months from your booking date.

Donate a few miles to charity; buy some flowers or wine; buy a magazine; credit a hotel stay to MP.
Old Jul 24, 2013, 1:53 pm

Originally Posted by keisari
Welcome to FT
If you used award miles that came from your UA account, that should be valid for extension of your miles. Should I assume you used somebody else's account for the award travel?
Your options are either spending or posting some new miles.
You can buy some magazines with miles (as low as 500 miles) or you can use one of the links on UA.com to purchase stuff (from tons of providers) that will give you some miles.
If you have a co-branded Chase card then you can avoid all this hassle.

On a different note, why keep 300,000 miles around. It ain't no retirement fund and chances are the miles will devaluate faster than most investments.
Thank you for your welcome!

I stand corrected on the award travel. I have been going through a lot. The miles came from my US Airways account, who also partners with Copa.

I am magazined out, but to spend 500 miles is certainly fine.

Regarding your other suggestion to purchase something from UA.com, while I can't think of anything that I particularly need or want, I will check. So long as the dollars are minimal and I can find something useful, this could be an alternative to wasting 500 miles on another magazine to collect dust.

Regarding your question, I did a significant amount of traveling from 2004 through 2007 and did not think much about the miles. 2008-2010 I used about 250,000 miles. 2011 through March 2013 I was taking care of my mother who had acute myeloid leukemia and I never once thought of the miles.

I am really trying to get this process (extending my miles) over a quickly as possible while using the fewest amount of miles or spending the fewest amount of dollars.

Thanks for you help.

Anovice
Old Jul 24, 2013, 5:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
Originally Posted by Anovice

Thanks,

Anovice
Read the wiki post.
Old Jul 27, 2013, 2:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
Originally Posted by docbert
Cheapest and most likely the easiest - http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/miles...ng-survey.html
was easy for one of my kids account but the other kid, EVERYTHING I do seems to reject me for the survey, I must have tried 50 survey's by now

its funny, the first time I tried for the other son, it worked the first time and posted really quick.

ughhh
Old Jul 27, 2013, 7:33 pm

Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
was easy for one of my kids account but the other kid, EVERYTHING I do seems to reject me for the survey, I must have tried 50 survey's by now

its funny, the first time I tried for the other son, it worked the first time and posted really quick.

ughhh
Exactly what happened to me on E-rewards. blahh
Old Jul 30, 2013, 6:11 pm

Programs: CO Silver, DL
I've donated 1k miles on my account and 500 from hubbys to keep active our miles that are due to expire 30 Sept 2013...fingers crossed that it works!
Old Jul 31, 2013, 4:31 pm

Programs: CO Silver, DL
Expiration dates now showing end Jan 2015 so it definitely works, and for minimal mileage loss!
Old Aug 16, 2013, 8:44 am

Programs: MYOB
Originally Posted by TrojanHorse

ughhh
What are their ages?
I was able to do a survey for my 19 year old, but got the "sorry we are unable to help you" for the 17 yr old. Have to be 18.
Considered fibbing on the age, but wondered that since it requires you to put in the MP number, if there is a cross check. Probably not, but too late now.

also - on the survey for the 19 yr old - the miles posted in less than 30 minutes. This is a great way to keep someone's account active that doesn't fly much and doesn't have the Chase card.

to bring the link ahead in the thread...
https://www.opinionmilesclub.com/general/omc-lp-600
Old Aug 27, 2013, 9:54 pm

Programs: United Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Avis First
Originally Posted by docbert
Cheapest and most likely the easiest - http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/miles...ng-survey.html
Thanks! This worked well. It was free and instant. After 15-20 minutes to sign up and fill out a survey, the 300 miles instantly posted and expiration date updated to 2/28/2015 from 9/30/2013 on both of my kids' accounts.
Old Aug 30, 2013, 12:52 pm

Programs: Marriott, Hilton, Starwood, AAdvantage, MileagePlus
Prevent MP miles expiration on 9-30-13

It's been a while since we've had anything to do with Continental/US -- health issues among and deaths of various family members. I just noticed that our UA Mileage Plus Account Summaries show that our miles expire on 9-30-13.

We don't have any plans to travel before then. The bubble that appears when you hover over Mileage Expiration says that as long as you earn or use MP points at least every 18 months, your points won't expire.

My wife has 17K points, I have 88K, and I haven't checked my son's account yet; it's no more than my wife's total.

I have a Chase MP account; I'm expecting a new card in the mail any day now.

In general, what's the most cost-effective way to earn or use points in a month?

Specifically, will points earned on the Chase card count, and will they post in time?
Specifically, will bonus points earned if my wife applies for a MP card for herself count, and will they post in time?

Any advice to someone who's been out of the game for a while would be greatly appreciated.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.