Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated LAX connection time/logistics-Domestic & International

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 4, 2016, 1:46 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA

February 2016 an completely air-side path between T8/T7 and TBIT opened (Dotted line in above map)

To get from T8/T7 to T5, one has to walk from T7 to T6, using the spaghetti junction at the T6 TSA, then walk down the T6 concourse to the middle portion (Alaska Gates), then take the underground tunnel from T6 to T4 (to American gates). Take care not to go up to T5, roughly in the middle of the tunnel area.

T5<>T4, also connected via the same tunnel complex as T5 and T6, looks for signs pointing the directions to Gates 5x or 4x depending on direction.

@ T4 --- walk thru the waiting area for gate 40, near Gate 41 you'll see escalators in the distance. Hop on those, and follow the corridors. When in TBIT, walk past the KE/one world lounge to the end of concourse - take a right handed u turn, up the escalator and the *A lounge is there.

LAX - TBIT star alliance lounge access

Archive thread: Consolidated LAX connection time/logistics-Domestic & International {Archive}

Print Wikipost

Consolidated LAX connection time/logistics-Domestic & International

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2024, 9:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sonyeoshin
What about intl arrivals after the T7 FIS closes at 7 pm? For example flight UA1277 from CUN-LAX is scheduled to arrive at 8:45 pm, but flight status shows it as arriving at Terminal 7.
Originally Posted by dkc192
Hmm, you're right, it seems like the T6/7 FIS doesn't stay open until the last UA international arrival of the day. UA1277 parks at T7 but presumably pax are bused to TBIT. I suspect this is the case because UA's flight status shows carousel 7 for bag claim, which doesn't exist at the T6/7 FIS (they're lettered A/B/C there).
There is also a LIR-LAX flight arriving at 9:05 pm.
Same bussing around I am afraid.......
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jan 18, 2024, 1:43 pm

Programs: AC 75K, FB Gold, BW Diamond Select
Thank you to those that answered my question earlier in this thread about getting from T6 to the Star Alliance lounge in TBIT. I'm currently sat there enjoying the terrace waiting for my connection.
Old Jan 18, 2024, 1:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM
Originally Posted by DrNest
Thank you to those that answered my question earlier in this thread about getting from T6 to the Star Alliance lounge in TBIT. I'm currently sat there enjoying the terrace waiting for my connection.
It's a particularly nice day for it! But that's supposed to change this weekend.
Old Jan 18, 2024, 1:58 pm

Programs: AC 75K, FB Gold, BW Diamond Select
Originally Posted by iapetus
It's a particularly nice day for it! But that's supposed to change this weekend.
Pity it's so hazy, but I'll take that with the 18C temp over the -20C i left in Canada.
Old Jan 20, 2024, 12:55 pm

Mid-February trip from Oceania --
UA99 arrives 06:45; UA1140 departs 08:40.

I'm an extremely fast walker (without using walkways or escalators, I can do ORD F17 to C6 in 10m30s), but I'm always concerned about getting stuck in random lines... and I'd also like to check out a lounge in between flights. Normally I leave myself three hours on international inbounds, but transcontinental doesn't leave me with a ton of options -- and as IAD is not my final destination I'm trying to avoid going further north (e.g. EWR) before heading south.

As a US passport holder with Global -- is 1h55m enough for TBIT to T7 (I'm assuming I'll depart out of T7...) to clear customs, recheck bag, and clear TSA?
Old Jan 20, 2024, 1:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Tigerotor77W

I'm an extremely fast walker (without using walkways or escalators, I can do ORD F17 to C6 in 10m30s), but I'm always concerned about getting stuck in random lines... and I'd also like to check out a lounge in between flights. Normally I leave myself three hours on international inbounds, but transcontinental doesn't leave me with a ton of options -- and as IAD is not my final destination I'm trying to avoid going further north (e.g. EWR) before heading south.

As a US passport holder with Global -- is 1h55m enough for TBIT to T7 (I'm assuming I'll depart out of T7...) to clear customs, recheck bag, and clear TSA?
Unfortunately, the lounge isn't open until 0830, so you won't be able to visit it.

If the schedule did align, the way do it would be clear TSA at TBIT (where UAL99 arrives), visit lounge, then walk through the tunnel, allowing about 15 minutes for TBIT to T7.
Old Jan 20, 2024, 1:32 pm

Originally Posted by fumje
Unfortunately, the lounge isn't open until 0830, so you won't be able to visit it.

If the schedule did align, the way do it would be clear TSA at TBIT (where UAL99 arrives), visit lounge, then walk through the tunnel, allowing about 15 minutes for TBIT to T7.
Ha -- thanks :-)
Maybe a UA Club instead, then.
SFO is my typical spot but MEL-SFO doesn't lend itself to great options when connecting to the other coast.

I take it 1h55 is fine for an I-D connection?
Old Jan 20, 2024, 1:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Ha -- thanks :-)
Maybe a UA Club instead, then.
SFO is my typical spot but MEL-SFO doesn't lend itself to great options when connecting to the other coast.

I take it 1h55 is fine for an I-D connection?
Yeah, that will be fine, and you'll still have time for a cappuccino at the Club. I would suggest going landside to T7, given it's a shorter walk.
Old Jan 20, 2024, 1:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold

2 hrs should be sufficient time.
Tigerotor77W likes this.
Old Jan 20, 2024, 1:47 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Yesterday, after an inexplicable 30 minute delay for cleaning, plus the expected 40 for deicing, our IAD-LAX got in about an hour late. They announced we had several dozen pax connecting to PEK out of TBIT and to please let them off first (which people actually accommodated). I'd still hate to make that connection from T7 already an hour delayed... I hope they made it.
Old Jan 20, 2024, 1:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by exerda
I hope they made it.
Copy that. That's not an easy connection for inexperienced travelers. What was their updated connection time? Assume on CA?

A year or two ago, I helped someone from T6 to TBIT (airside) because airport employee wasn't being helpful.

edit: looks like CA984 delayed by 35 mins (maybe waiting for pax), then taxied for 1.5 hrs...lol
exerda likes this.
Old Jan 20, 2024, 11:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Repooc17
edit: looks like CA984 delayed by 35 mins (maybe waiting for pax), then taxied for 1.5 hrs...lol
Taxiing for 1.5 hrs at LAX .... seems pretty odd ......
Old Feb 20, 2024, 1:05 am

Originally Posted by Kacee
I wouldn't worry about the return, the consequences of a miss are minimal (at least if you book the morning arrival at SFO). It's the outbound from SFO that would concern me, particularly in February, and with SFO closing runway 28L until April.

Don't think I'd book a one hour connection to a once-daily international flight under those circumstances.
I do want to provide a DP(especially about MPC) about this as I just returned back and appreicate the feedback I gotten on this thread.

SFO transfer was a bit tight as departing was delayed a bit due to 28L but still made it to gate on time, there were around 10-20 passengers who had tight connecting flights to Asia/Australia so they allowed those passengers(including me) to get off first and still make it to the gate on time with 10-20m to spare.(<1h D->I Connection)

Returning from LAX was a bit of a struggle, since trip took the allocated time and didn't arrive early. Thankfully I was able to use Mobile Passport Control under T7 and skip the majority of people for Customs/Immigration, and got through within minutes. Just brought carry on and didn't have to deal with waiting for baggage. Was able to make it to the gate with 10-20m before boarding my zone. (1h25m I->D connection)

MPC at T7 was a bit weird since they had no signs and just an employee to point you at a line to use MPC at.

Another DP that I haven't seen much about was that I was able to do 24hr pre Online Check-In with this International BE ticket with personal item+carry on. Didn't need to see agent and my mobile ticket eventually got updated to show my seating assignment. Lot of DP about normal BE but didn't see much about International BE.

I probably would do this route again if I saved a lot of money compared to other airlines, however I flew on Delta/EVA routes before and they weren't as stressful. At least I got lucky with BE and got Economy Plus seating for all segments?
Old Feb 20, 2024, 1:14 am

Smile

Originally Posted by fumje
I've never seen a particularly significant wait time at LAX T7 for even non-GE/MPC. I'm sure, this being FT, someone can arrive to contradict me , but that is over many arrivals over many years. I would describe LAX immigration as slightly casual. Once I even saw a UA agent overseeing the GE machines for a bit, since the CBP person had to go do something else.

I would not worry about the LAX connection option, as suggested earlier. If HKG-LAX is heavily delayed, getting a routing change at HKG before departing is a good fallback.
Wanted to provide an DP about this, but I think being a holiday as President's Day and lot of flights arriving at once caused a huge lineup at LAX T7 around 5PM. Thankfully I had MPC and was able to skip the line and get through within minutes.
Old Apr 9, 2024, 3:12 pm

Programs: UA Global Services 3.2 MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, AA Exec Plat
Curious as to folks' thoughts on this. Have a friend doing HND-LAX-IAH all on UA, HND-LAX arrives at 1230 pm, LAX-IAH departs at 143 pm, i.e., 73 mins connection time on a Friday afternoon. Friend has checked bag, no GE/TSA Pre, and is an Indonesian national who may well get interrogated at CBP. Seems like a *very* likely misconnect, no? UA booked the itinerary with the (legal?) 73-minute connection, so presumably would rebook on next available LAX-IAH, but this smells like trouble.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.