Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated ORD connection time/logistics-Domestic & International

Old Aug 5, 2016, 8:06 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
The People Mover /ATS, OHares (ORD) shuttle train, to close until Fall 2019

E to C gate shuttle discountinedMCT Feb 2021 from ExpertFlyer.com
Code:
STANDARD.D/D...D/I...I/D...I/I.
ONLINE .50 1.15 1.30 1.30
OFFLINE .50 1.15 1.30 1.30
** OR * ARE ALL

UA-UA DD .45 AUA - ALL
UA-UA DD .45 DUB - ALL
UA-UA DD .45 FLT 3160 - 6384 - FLT 1 - 2839 NAS - ALL
UA-UA DD .45 FLT 3160 - 6384 - FLT 3160 - 6384 NAS - ALL
UA-UA DD .45 NAS - ALL
UA-UA DD .45 SNN - ALL
UA-UA DD .40 FLT 3160 - 6384 - FLT 1 - 2839
UA-UA DD .40 FLT 3160 - 6384 - FLT 3160 - 6384
UA-UA DD .35
UA-UA DI .45 AUA - ALL
UA-UA DI .45 DUB - ALL
UA-UA DI .45 NAS - ALL
UA-UA DI .45 SNN - ALL
UA-UA DI .40
UA-UA ID 1.30 GRU - ALL
UA-UA ID 1.25 HKG - ALL
UA-UA ID 1.25 MEX - ALL
UA-UA ID 1.25 MTY - ALL
UA-UA ID 1.25 PEK - ALL
UA-UA ID 1.25 PVG - ALL
UA-UA ID 1.25 SIN - ALL
UA-UA ID 1.20
UA-UA II 1.30 GRU - ALL
UA-UA II 1.25 HKG - ALL
UA-UA II 1.25 MEX - ALL
UA-UA II 1.25 MTY - ALL
UA-UA II 1.25 PEK - ALL
UA-UA II 1.25 PVG - ALL
UA-UA II 1.25 SIN - ALL
UA-UA II 1.20
older MCT ORD MCT data - Sept 2016

Archive: Consolidated ORD connection time/logistics-Domestic & International {Archive}
Print Wikipost

Consolidated ORD connection time/logistics-Domestic & International

Old Jun 19, 2022, 8:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Minimum connect time (MCT) for UA domestic-to-international flights at ORD is actually only 40 minutes (not that I would recommend booking anything with that tight of timing).
jsloan likes this.
Old Jun 19, 2022, 8:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by whitearrow
Barring any weird catastrophes, is 2 1/2 hours enough assuming we're 45 minutes late or so? I'm guessing we'll probably need to change terminals in ORD? Will we have to go back through security?
Terminal 1 and 2 are connected airside (but, as already stated, you'll arrive in Terminal 1; UA exclusively uses Terminal 2 for regional jets). So, even if you did have to change terminals, you'd be fine. The only terminal at ORD that could require re-clearing security is Terminal 5, but UA doesn't use that for departures (there's a bus that stays airside, but AFAIK it's still suspended).

2 1/2 hours is plenty of time for a leisurely connection at ORD. You'd need a minimum of a one-hour delay before I'd even start to be concerned.
trooper likes this.
Old Jun 19, 2022, 9:03 pm

Programs: UA 1K (MM), DL, AA, AS, HHonors, SPG, Kimpton, Hyatt, IC PC, Marriott Titanium (LT PLT), Hertz PC
I wouldn't hesitate to book a flight with half of that connection time. I think you'll be fine assuming there aren't any major weather issues.
Old Jun 19, 2022, 9:10 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Originally Posted by GBadger
I wouldn't hesitate to book a flight with half of that connection time. I think you'll be fine assuming there aren't any major weather issues.
But with a longer connection time, you can enjoy the Polaris lounge at both LAX and ORD. Isn't that the whole point of booking a longer connection?
trooper, United747 and VRFast like this.
Old Jun 20, 2022, 11:42 pm

Thoughts on a 90-minute connection from Terminal 1 to Terminal 5?

Thanks to a schedule change, I'm now slated to arrive at 8:07 p.m. on UA 2238 from SMF (Terminal 1). Departing at 9:40 p.m. on TK 6 to IST (Terminal 5).

It's an award redemption; not sure I want to have to test TK's customer service.
Old Jun 21, 2022, 5:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by Torts Illustrated

Thanks to a schedule change, I'm now slated to arrive at 8:07 p.m. on UA 2238 from SMF (Terminal 1). Departing at 9:40 p.m. on TK 6 to IST (Terminal 5).

It's an award redemption; not sure I want to have to test TK's customer service.
Welcome to FlyerTalk Torts Illustrated

That is gonna be tight. The air-side transfer bus to Terminal 5 hasn't started back up (yet?), so you will be going land side and re-clearing security...assuming your trip is fairly soon?
If there is any way to get to ORD earlier, it would def be worthwhile.
Torts Illustrated likes this.
Old Jun 21, 2022, 6:06 am

Programs: MileagePlus-Premier Silver, Marriott Bonvoy-Silver Elite
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
More than enough time. You might have to travel through the psychedelic underground tunnel connecting concourses B and C, but that won't take very long as aforementioned. I would be more concerned about watching out for the weather in ORD in advance.
This one? Went through there last month. C to B was a quick 10-15 minute walk even around 6pm. Even had time to stop by the UC at B6.
Old Jun 21, 2022, 6:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by VRFast
This one? Went through there last month. C to B was a quick 10-15 minute walk even around 6pm. Even had time to stop by the UC at B6.
That's the one...

It is a very popular selfie spot, especially on the weekends / leisure travel times. Always brings a smile to see someone on the travellators, snapping a selfie while gliding through the tunnel.
Experienced ones wait for the right timing to catch the overhead neon tubes in all their lit-up glory.
VRFast likes this.
Old Jun 21, 2022, 10:51 am

Originally Posted by goodeats21
Welcome to FlyerTalk Torts Illustrated

That is gonna be tight. The air-side transfer bus to Terminal 5 hasn't started back up (yet?), so you will be going land side and re-clearing security...assuming your trip is fairly soon?
Thank you! Appreciate it.
Old Jun 21, 2022, 12:01 pm

Originally Posted by Torts Illustrated

Originally Posted by goodeats21
90 minutes is plenty of time to do this transfer if your incoming flight arrives on time. With 30 minutes to deplane, walk to ATS (landside train), and ride to T5, you'll essentially be arriving in T5 ~1 hour before your flight, already checked in with bags already checked.

Now throw in a 20 minute delay and you're arriving T5 at 40 minutes before your flight, for a flight that ostensibly closes 30 min before departure....starts to get tight real quick.

As with all of the questions, the real question is "how bad is it if you have to get rebooked the next day?"

P.S. the re-launch of the TTB (airside bus) has been delayed due to high gas prices. Aug 1 is the first potential start date at this time: ORD T1, T2, T3 to T5 busing being looked at for connecting pax
Torts Illustrated likes this.
Old Jun 23, 2022, 6:30 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Gold, Marriott Gold
Our flight got changed, a victim of all the UA cancellations at EWR.

We are flying LHR-ORD-TPA and have a 2 hour connection with checked luggage and we both have Global Entry.

I'm assuming we arrive in Terminal 5 and depart for TPA from terminal 1.

Is there a United desk to recheck our luggage in Terminal 5?

What's our chances of making the connection as the ORD-TPA flight is the last one of the night?

Thanks.
Old Jun 23, 2022, 7:52 pm

Originally Posted by Ron50

What's our chances of making the connection as the ORD-TPA flight is the last one of the night?

Thanks.
Yes, right after customs BEFORE exiting the final door - its to the right. And Ive never seen a line!

High chance of making the connection with GE if you can walk fairly normally. You take the tram from T5 to T1 and reclear security. Goes fast with TSA Pre.
Ron50 likes this.
Old Jun 24, 2022, 3:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Ron50
Our flight got changed, a victim of all the UA cancellations at EWR.

We are flying LHR-ORD-TPA and have a 2 hour connection with checked luggage and we both have Global Entry.

I'm assuming we arrive in Terminal 5 and depart for TPA from terminal 1.

Thanks.
Originally Posted by AirbusFan2B
Yes, right after customs BEFORE exiting the final door - its to the right. And Ive never seen a line!

High chance of making the connection with GE if you can walk fairly normally. You take the tram from T5 to T1 and reclear security. Goes fast with TSA Pre.
Agree with this. Global Entry is 5 min max and TSA with Pre at Terminal 1 is usually pretty quick as well.

Your limiting factor is going to be the checked bags. Hopefully the ground crews are fully staffed that day!
Ron50 likes this.
Old Jun 24, 2022, 7:56 am

Programs: AA, UA, GE
It looks like you are arriving at 16:00 on UA959 and connecting to the last UA flight to TPA which departs at 18:01

I looked up UA959's on time history on FR24 and over the last 90 days it has only been seriously late twice. On Jun 21 it arrived at 18:25 and on April 1 it arrived at 17:09. If you get a similar delay, you will likely be spending the night at ORD. The good news is a significant number of UA959 arrivals are much earlier than the scheduled time of 16:00. Often earlier than 15:30.

So you should be prepared for what you need to do if something happens and your LHR flight is seriously delayed but the odds are significantly in your favor for making your TPA flight.
Ron50 likes this.

Last edited by cheltzel; Jun 24, 2022 at 8:13 am
Old Jun 24, 2022, 11:44 am

For everyone asking how to get from T5 to the train to T1, this is the sign you want to look for in the arrivals hall (after exiting customs)
Ron50, jonisflying and dm6214 like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.