Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UAL's Captain Denny Flanagan (In-Flight Experiences, Sightings, Schedule, etc.)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 23, 2016, 1:38 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: paranoiatx
Captain Denny's Retirement flight roll call. Please list your handle, cabin, and when you will be arriving in SEA, where we will arrange a dinner on 5/30.

Pat89339 - F - arriving 5/30
legalalien - F - arriving 5/31 (I can guest 2 into UC at either SEA or ORD)
Jubileesmom-F-arriving 5/30 ( I also can guest 2 into UC. )
Whiskarina - F - arriving 5/30
wxguy - F - arriving 5/30 via Capt Denny's second to last flight
FlyerBeek - F - arriving 5/29
JeepGuyDE - F - arriving 5/29 (need guesting into UC)
jmd001 - F - arriving 5/30 (would appreciate guesting into UC)
texasex95 - Y - arriving 5/31 (hopefully 5/30 if I can change my flight)
alanro - F - arriving 5/30 (I can also guest 2 into UC)
mendicantmonk - Y - arriving 5/30 (need guesting into UC)
SFO 1K - F - arriving 5/30 (I can guest 2 into UC)
wtigerFF - F - arriving 5/30 UA 635 (I can guest 2 into UC)
YRKInsider - F - arriving 5/30 UA 635 (can guest 2 into UC)
N1120A - F - Arriving 5/31 UA635 (Probably need guesting into UC)
CleUnited - Y - Arriving 5/30 (hopefully)
cawhite - F -arriving 5/30 UA635
paranoiatx - F - arriving 5/28 (can guest 2 into UC and/or 1 into CL)
Print Wikipost

UAL's Captain Denny Flanagan (In-Flight Experiences, Sightings, Schedule, etc.)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30, 2007, 1:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Well I hope some of the FTers who have been lucky enough to fly w/ him DO contact GMA.

Also there are always good, bad & indifferent employees in any company. I've run across the lot in other companies as well as UA. But to say there are 40,000 bad employees at UA is quite simply absurd.

Cheers.

PS - I've gotten handwritten thank you cards from a few pilots (including on a A319, so not just the 757); some have had the email & some haven't. I still appreciate the gesture of the cards & when they walk through the cabins.
Old Aug 30, 2007, 1:41 pm

Programs: UA 1K, PC Plat
Wirelessly posted (xx: BlackBerry8100/4.2.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100 UP.Browser/5.0.3.3)

I just went and found a handwritten card with email and cell# from an ORD based captain named John McFadden who piloted an A320 I travelled on. I guess I still have it because the simple gesture, which cost maybe $1 in business cards, the FA's handed out maybe 20, and took 5 minutes of his time was so out of the ordinary and almost shocking that I still have the card. I would not mind having a collection of business cards....
Old Aug 30, 2007, 1:44 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by bug_me_not
I'm a producer with Good Morning America. We're doing a story on Capt. Flanagan and wanted to share some experiences of passengers who've flown with him. Please give me a call today if you have a good story to tell 212-456-6632.

thanks,
Josh Gaynor
Please let us know when this piece will be aired, or post a URL link if available online! Thank you.
Old Aug 30, 2007, 3:13 pm

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
as an aside, there is a thread about denny flanagan on an automotive forum i frequent. another frequent poster there (from macedonia, oh) claims to know capt denny. apparently, his attitude runs in the family. here is an article he posted about capt denny's brother, a firefighter, and sister-in-law who helped save the life of a toddler who nearly drowned:

http://www.cleveland.com/plaindealer...580.xml&coll=2
Old Aug 30, 2007, 5:38 pm

Programs: UA*G, UA 1MM
Originally Posted by ivoryboi
Please let us know when this piece will be aired, or post a URL link if available online! Thank you.
I seond that. Josh, can you let us kknow when this will be on?
Old Aug 30, 2007, 5:53 pm

Programs: UAL 1K MM
Originally Posted by treyrox
Wirelessly posted (xx: BlackBerry8100/4.2.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100 UP.Browser/5.0.3.3)

I just went and found a handwritten card with email and cell# from an ORD based captain named John McFadden who piloted an A320 I travelled on. I guess I still have it because the simple gesture, which cost maybe $1 in business cards, the FA's handed out maybe 20, and took 5 minutes of his time was so out of the ordinary and almost shocking that I still have the card. I would not mind having a collection of business cards....

I just did the same thing and found Capt. McFadden's card (at the bottom of the pile on my desk). I think I'll e-mail him. He's probably a little disappointed that Capt. Flanagan gets the recognition while there are a number of pilots who make the same gesture.
Old Aug 30, 2007, 6:23 pm

Programs: UA*G, UA 1MM
I just received this information on the airing of the segemnts regarding Captain Flannagan. Kudos to United for highlighting one of their best! ^

All three morning shows (NBC, ABC, and CBS) filmed Captain Flanagan in action on three of his flights today: the 6 AM to DCA, the 940 AM return to ORD, and a 1 PMish flight to LGA. Captain Flanagan will appear live on NBC's "Today Show" on Friday, and all three networks' shows will feature a story on United/Captain Flanagan tomorrow, Friday, August 31st. Apparently, there will be a segment on David Letterman's "Late Show" tomorrow night, as well!
Old Aug 30, 2007, 6:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by woodway
I just received this information on the airing of the segemnts regarding Captain Flannagan. Kudos to United for highlighting one of their best! ^
I have a busy day of TV tomorrow.
Old Aug 30, 2007, 6:28 pm

Programs: UA 1P, F9 Ascent, SPG Lifetime Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by vysean
But why should the bad employees detract from recognizing the good ones? I guess I'm not sure why you responded the way you did to the GMA solicitation - do you think they should not do a story on him?
The issue, I think, is whether UA recognizes the good ones. If they really were on the ball, and if Higgins wanted to earn her pay, they should use Denny as a model and build a service level around him. At AOL, Steve Case used to ask engineers if their work could be used by his mother. When I was at PwC, ethical questions were framed by the idea that if one's actions were to be reported in the NYT, would the company be happy or upset? UA staff, from ICC to GAs to FAs to Pilots should be asking themselves daily, "What would Denny do?"

If I was in Higgins position, I'd have that question laminated on a card with some service standards on the back and I'd require every employee to carry it on them at all times.
Old Aug 30, 2007, 7:37 pm

Location: some days Chapel Hill, NC; other days Weihai, China
Programs: UA GS; MU; LH; AC; OS
Denny Flanagan certainly is a credit to UA, but I've yet to experience a bad crew. I've had more great crews than mediocre by about 90% of the time.
I cannot think of a bad crew. I cAAn't say the sAAme for certAAin other AAirlines. Maybe it's because I fly almost all int'l ? dunno.

He's great, and there are many more out there who deserve recognition, too. They're the reason my loyalty remains with United. Kudos, Denny.

zzyster
Old Aug 30, 2007, 8:14 pm

Programs: UA 1K
My Captain Flanagan Message on Business Card:

Mr. GP603, You are a valued customer and your business is Greatly appreciated! Please let me know how we can exceed your expectations.

Capt. Denny

Such a simple, short gesture, but I really liked it and have kept the card over two years.
Old Aug 30, 2007, 8:54 pm
Senior Moderator; Moderator, Eco-Conscious Travel, United and Flyertalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM;; Accor & Marriott Pt; Hyatt Globalist
We've removed a lot of off-topic posts from this thread. Before you post, please look at the thread title. It's about one person - Captain Flanagan. There are plenty of other threads you can contribute to if you want to discuss your service issues with other UA employee groups.

l'etoile
UA moderator

Old Aug 31, 2007, 1:31 am
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K 3MM
Capt Flanagan definitely amped up the halfway to Hawaii game on my last flight. Besides the usual mac nut prize drawings, he gave away 2 UA branded Sinatra CDs and 2 UA History of Flying books. Then the two people who had his signature on the back of his business card that he passed out on boarding, got bottles of wine. Of course, he did the usual personalized business cards for the frequent flyers.

I hope he flies the Hawaii route more often!

TF
Old Aug 31, 2007, 5:46 am

Location: IAD, and sometimes OMNI/PR. Currently: not far from IAD, but home will always be SAN (not far from the "touch my junk and I'll have you arrested" Memorial TSA Check Point) even if I'm not there so much these days.
Programs: UA, CO, Calcifer Award for Mad Haiku Skillz
Captain Flanagan was just featured in a piece on the CBS Morning News. For those west of the US Eastern time zone, it was at about 7:15 am, you might catch it in your time zone. He really loves his job!
Old Aug 31, 2007, 6:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I saw him on CBS as well, where they have a video about a flight with him yesterday. I then immediately switched over to GMA where they actually had him in person just minutes later, along with a similar video. They even talked about comments from FlyerTalk, and he mentioned that he doesn't know how to use a computer. What a great guy!^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.