Wiki Posts
Search

Landing while sleeping?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16, 2019, 1:17 am
Original Poster

Programs: Dividend Miles
Question Landing while sleeping?

I had an unexpected experience recently. I was on a UA transcon in business (777-200 w/ the 2-2 setup). I was exhausted from a long international trip. I put the seat flat and fell asleep about halfway through the flight. I woke up, surprisingly, when the plane hit the ground.

Does anyone know if it is policy that lie-flat seats can stay flat during landing? If so, why? I thought the idea was that landing is risky and you want to have everyone ready to brace.

Sincerely,
​​​
A recent AA -> UA convert
Old Feb 16, 2019, 1:46 am

Programs: BA Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
I'm sure its not a policy but I've had many instances where UA FA's don't check for seat backs upright, windows up, seat belts etc. before landing. I've had one ocassion on UA where 3 attendants were standing in galley when we touched down and a passenger was in the toilet. I like BA in this regard as they make sure 20 minutes before landing cabin is ready and its consistent across many flights with them.
BearX220 likes this.
Old Feb 16, 2019, 2:02 am

Programs: UA LT Plat, 2.5mm, Hilton LTD, SPG LT Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Whatever
Originally Posted by EverywhereHome
I had an unexpected experience recently. I was on a UA transcon in business (777-200 w/ the 2-2 setup). I was exhausted from a long international trip. I put the seat flat and fell asleep about halfway through the flight. I woke up, surprisingly, when the plane hit the ground.

Does anyone know if it is policy that lie-flat seats can stay flat during landing? If so, why? I thought the idea was that landing is risky and you want to have everyone ready to brace.

Sincerely,
​​​
A recent AA -> UA convert

I've never had a bad flight in my life so the chances of the landing being worse than the actual flight are somewhat slim. Yes, it's policy to have everybody strapped in for landing but I doubt there are more landing prevented seatbelt injuries than there are in air ones. Seriously, if it's a landing related one, it's likely a seriously bad situation and the seat position will likely not make that much of a difference.
Old Feb 16, 2019, 2:28 am

Programs: Delta Diamond, United 1K, Platinum Premier Elite with Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist
I can guarantee that's not policy and someone dropped the ball by doing that. Being upright in your seat is a safety aspect for if you were in an emergency or the plane unexpectedly crashed on landing you're in the safest position and able to quickly move to the exits.
Old Feb 16, 2019, 3:35 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist | Jumpseat Platinum
Someone messed up.

Unless the cabin conditions made it unsafe to do so, pre landing checks include seat backs to their full upright position
Old Feb 16, 2019, 5:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
I was aboard an AA regional flight a couple of months ago where the pilots made no prepare-for-landing announcement, there was no double-ding on final, no cabin announcement live or recorded, in fact the FA was in the aisle picking up trash and gabbing with passengers until I waved at her and said, hey, judging from the view out the window, we're about fifteen seconds from the piano keys. She made a run for the rearward jumpseat and was not quite buckled in when we touched down. On that flight nobody, flight deck or FA, was paying any attention to safety regs at all. It happens.
FlyingNone and delpiero223 like this.
Old Feb 16, 2019, 6:22 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta, AA, Marriott
On Virigin they will put your seat down prior to takeoff and I have taken off many times asleep. Am usually awake for landing for last minute coffee.
Old Feb 16, 2019, 6:22 am

Always remember they are there for your safety
Old Feb 16, 2019, 7:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by seatacpilot
I can guarantee that's not policy and someone dropped the ball by doing that. Being upright in your seat is a safety aspect for if you were in an emergency or the plane unexpectedly crashed on landing you're in the safest position and able to quickly move to the exits.
Well, OP did say that s/he was awakened “when the plane hit the ground”.

I have the ability to fall asleep even when the seat is “upright” and have slept through numerous takeoffs, landings and once an entire flight.
Old Feb 16, 2019, 9:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If OP's seat was not in the landing position during landing, then the FA has messed up big time. I think if documented, this is a safety violation and UA can be fined.

The wild variation in the takeoff/landing cabin safety check is not good. I find probably 20% of the FAs do it thoroughly (especially with devices plugged in and things behind the legs) and the rest are all over the place.

This is one of these things that until something bad happens (including if UA is fined big time), nothing is going to change. FAs really don't want to make passengers do things since some of the passengers are just too ignorant and "cool" to follow rules.
Old Feb 16, 2019, 9:17 am

Programs: UA 1K
A few months back there was a family traveling together in Polaris on the 77W. The father spent almost the entire 15 hour flight standing in the isle talking to his wife/playing with his young kids. I found the entire thing extremely distracting since I was seated directly across from them. The FA’s were annoyed because he was constantly blocking the isle.

A few minutes from touchdown was the first time during the entire flight he wasn’t standing up. When I looked over I realized he wasn’t even in his seat. 5 seconds to touchdown he pops out of the lavatory and starts walking to his seat as we land.

The FA was obviously not happy and ended up having a chat with him while taxiing to the gate but I’m not sure what was said. Not having the cabin prepared definitely falls on the FA’s even when you get those passengers who make their job difficult.
Old Feb 16, 2019, 10:13 am

I thought it was considered a courtesy for FAs to leave you alone in your lie flat whilst sleeping (even if landing). Especially given how short the domestic trans-cons and TATL puddle jumpers are these days surely you want to maximize your sleep!

So long as you're strapped in what's the worse that can happen? Those seats are certified by the FAA to be safe in any configuration so long as you're using the provided safety belts (i.e. three point seat belt with airbag). While it is true that most emergency situations occur during take off and landing, there still must be safety built in when the airplane is at 40,000 feet and hits, say, extremely violent turbulence or requires a rapid descent (i.e. due to aircraft depressurization).

-James
Old Feb 16, 2019, 10:23 am

Programs: UA 1K and Million Miler, *A Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hertz Five Star,
Depending on configuration an aisle seat in lie flat mode blocks egress for window pax.
Old Feb 16, 2019, 10:31 am

Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
Originally Posted by j2simpso
I thought it was considered a courtesy for FAs to leave you alone in your lie flat whilst sleeping (even if landing). Especially given how short the domestic trans-cons and TATL puddle jumpers are these days surely you want to maximize your sleep!

So long as you're strapped in what's the worse that can happen? Those seats are certified by the FAA to be safe in any configuration so long as you're using the provided safety belts (i.e. three point seat belt with airbag). While it is true that most emergency situations occur during take off and landing, there still must be safety built in when the airplane is at 40,000 feet and hits, say, extremely violent turbulence or requires a rapid descent (i.e. due to aircraft depressurization).

-James
FAA requires seats to be in the "upright position" without exception. It's to ensure easy egress in case of emergency. You'd think there could be exceptions if there's no one next to you or you are in the rear row, but it's tough to write strict rules for exceptions. So there are none.

(e) Except as provided in paragraphs (e)(1) through (e)(3) of this section, no certificate holder may take off or land an airplane unless each passenger seat back is in the upright position. Each passenger shall comply with instructions given by a crewmember in compliance with this paragraph.

Last edited by wxguy; Feb 16, 2019 at 10:42 am
Old Feb 16, 2019, 10:44 am

Originally Posted by wxguy
FAA requires seats to be in the "upright position" without exception. It's to ensure easy egress in case of emergency. You'd think there could be exceptions if there's no one next to you or you are in the rear row, but it's tough to write strict rules for exceptions. So there are none.
Interesting! Didn't realize there was a rule on this very thing. Out of curiosity what would happen if the lie flat seat were to malfunction and is unable to get into its fully upright locked position (and there were no other seats available)? I'm guessing the FAA would let it "slide" provided the faulty seat is fixed/blocked off?

-James

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.