Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Listening to Channel 9 on September 11, 2001

Listening to Channel 9 on September 11, 2001

Old Jun 3, 2011, 7:40 am

Programs: UA PP, HH Diamond
Thank you

Thank you for sharing your experience. My husband is a LT with the FDNY; I can relate to your story in that I too was scared, shocked and in disbelief.
Old Jun 3, 2011, 8:32 am

Programs: UA 1K 0.94MM, Marriott Titanium
Wow, what a powerful thread. Thanks to all for sharing.
Old Jun 3, 2011, 4:12 pm

I was flying SFO-LAX-DEN this past 9/11. The SFO-LAX leg was uneventful, no sort of announcements from the crew; just another day.

LAX-DEN, however, was different. We boarded the plane (IPTE 772) and before I knew it, were in the air. The purser came on the intercom, and instead of discussing the services of the flight, stated she wanted to commemorate the day. She then proceded to give one of the most eloquent speeches about a colleague and close friend she lost on 9/11 on flight 93. By the end of the 3-minute speech, her voice started to crack, and she started to choke up. She ended it by saying "we are all United", which pay sound cheesy here on this forum, but was powerful onboard. Lots of people around me started to loose their composure as well, I know I did. It was a beautiful tribute to her friend.
ExplorerWannabe likes this.
Old Sep 7, 2011, 12:09 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, HHonors Diamond
As we approach Sept. 11 it is good to bump this up and remember what happened that day.
Old Sep 7, 2011, 10:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by deant
As we approach Sept. 11 it is good to bump this up and remember what happened that day.
+1

The OPs post really made me feel as though I Was sitting next to the OP, watching and listening to everything unfolding.
Old Sep 8, 2011, 8:48 am

Programs: AA, UA, Marriott Gold
I had not read this before this week. Not only did the OP make me feel as if I was right there as well, it brought back a flood of memories from September 11, 2001. That day has changed so many of our lives in so many ways, and while we will never forget, we seem to always remember while stuck in a security checkpoint somewhere, removing our shoes and belts, liquids and laptops.

Reading this post (and reading it over again) brought back all of the memories of loved ones lost, and heroes who never had the opportunity to be thanked. Many people lost their lives because they put the lives of others before their own safety.

We will always remember.
Old Sep 9, 2011, 3:34 pm

Programs: MUCCI, BA Blue
bringing this very worthwhile thread up to the top again, it isn't quite 9/11/11 yet, but then sometimes 9/11/01 seems like yesterday and sometimes it seems a lifetime ago
Old Sep 9, 2011, 6:31 pm

Programs: UA MP Premier Silver (sigh!), Virgin Elevate, HHonors, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Gold, Does AAA count?
Thanks for pushing this back up. I was in NYC in August and although not able to see Ground Zero, thought a lot about how the city overcame such a terrible event. The people in NYC and surrounding boroughs treated us visiting very well. Their resilience is a testament to their strength.

Flying back and forth from LAX-JFK on UAL with Channel 9 on reminded me of this story and how electrifying yet chilling the OP must have felt when he first heard the deviation from normal ATC chatter. Listening to Ch. 9 still reminds me and us of all the dedicated professionals working for us to guide us safely during air travel, and when needed, to protect us.

Thanks Putt4eagle, wherever you are, your 8 posts have had a phenomenal impact.
Old Sep 9, 2011, 6:33 pm

Programs: United 1K, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum, National Exec Elite
Thank You

Though it looks like he hasn't been around since '05 I just wanted to echo others here and give my thanks for such a vivid and memorable account.

Safe travels to all, this weekend and beyond...
Old Sep 11, 2011, 10:36 am

Programs: UA 1MM
My annual 9/11 bump on this thread. The recommended reading is post #1
Old Sep 11, 2011, 3:42 pm

Programs: UA former 1K MM
ATC Audio Transcript

Has this been reported here yet?

Transcript of civil and military (NORAD Huntress control, etc.) comms.

http://www.rutgerslawreview.com/2011...io-transcript/
See also
http://www.rutgerslawreview.com/2011/a-new-type-of-war/

See also http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2...911-tapes.html

Last edited by redburgundy; Sep 11, 2011 at 8:44 pm
Old Sep 11, 2011, 10:18 pm

My wife and I got through another 9/11 anniversary as we have done 9 times before.

This one was harder than the others. We got up early and walked to a spot close to our house where we have an unobscured view of the eastern sky. At 6:46 AM, we looked east, toward the Twin towers, The Pentagon, and especially, towards a field near Shanksville, Pa. And I could not contain my tears, for my friend from far past, pre-United for both of us, Jason Dahl; for the United and American flight and cabin crews, for our and their passengers; for their families, friends, loved ones, and for the victims and rescuers of those tragic, senseless, inhuman acts, and for all Americans.

My past 9/11s have either been at airline events or in the cockpit. I was the captain of a UA flight on the morning of 9/11/2001, a time of tragedy, confusion, and utter disbelief. Since that day I have always felt it my duty to safely fly my passengers to their destinations, as I do every other day, or attend and participate in one of the many events held by United, ALPA, or one of the other unions on the United property. When I fly on 9/11s, I do it not just safely, but proudly.

This time, instead of attending an airline-related event, we rode our motorcycles on a commemorative ride with 2,000 others in a decidedly non-partisan, non-judgmental, patriotic 75 mile ride around the area surrounding Denver International Airport.

Everyone put aside their differences for a long time after 9/11/01, as well as on every other 9/11 since then. The tenth anniversary was no exception.

No, I could not contain my tears...partly because so many people forget what setting aside their differences is all about, and lose their new-found but short-lived tolerance for one another.

FAB
wrp96 likes this.
Old Sep 11, 2011, 11:43 pm

Programs: Hertz and Best Western, a free agent in all other respects
Fricking awesome, thanks redburgundy.
Old Sep 11, 2011, 11:51 pm
Suspended

Great story, well written. For fiction that is. Nobody remembers the exact words uttered by someone 5 years ago in such quoteable detail, 9/11 or not.

But still a great story.

Hey, so long as you have the stub, why don't you get it online and post a link?
Old Sep 12, 2011, 2:55 am

Programs: UA MP Premier Silver (sigh!), Virgin Elevate, HHonors, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Gold, Does AAA count?
FAB, thanks for reminding us how so many at United were affected and lost friends and colleagues. Thank you for your dedication to flying and taking good care of us, the flying public.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.