Go Back   > > >

Old Sep 12, 08, 1:59 am   #46

Programs: United 1K - Starwood LifetimePlatinum - Air France/KLM Flying Blue Platinum - Singapore Airlines PPS
Thank you
couscous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 08, 6:33 am   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryu2 View Post
Thanks as well AD. I've read many passenger accounts, but never a pilot one.

Just curious, did you and/or the company have any say as to the choice of airport that you diverted to? Or did ATC give you a specific airport to land at, no questions asked?
Maybe some pilots did. As we were discussing our divert options, we got a message to divert now, they didn't care where, just get the jet on the ground. So we ended up landing where ATC put us down at.

Last edited by aluminumdriver; Sep 12, 09 at 4:35 pm
aluminumdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 08, 6:41 am   #48

Programs: VA Gold, UA, SPG Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Ambassador
Thank you to the OP and also AD for the pilot insights on that very sad day.

I can not imagine how frightening it must have been for anyone in the air that day. As someone else noted, you must certainly have NERVES of Steel!

I have goosebumps and chills just reading this thread.

Also were airlines all over the States grounded for 4 days?? Forgive me, I cant recall that detail as I was not living there.

I have a relative who lives very close to the WTC - luckily she was out of the city working at another location that day. She was unable to return to her appt for many days though.

My thoughts are with all those who lost their lives and their loved ones on that awful day.
Downunder girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 08, 6:52 am   #49

Programs: (former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat, HH Diamond
Quote:
Originally Posted by Downunder girl View Post
Also were airlines all over the States grounded for 4 days??
9/11/01 was a Tuesday. If I remember correctly, I resumed my trip on Thursday evening. I don't recall at what time on Thursday the airspace system was re-opened for scheduled airlines.
LarryJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 08, 6:58 am   #50

Quote:
Thank you to the OP and also AD for the pilot insights on that very sad day.

I can not imagine how frightening it must have been for anyone in the air that day. As someone else noted, you must certainly have NERVES of Steel!

I have goosebumps and chills just reading this thread.

Also were airlines all over the States grounded for 4 days?? Forgive me, I cant recall that detail as I was not living there.

I have a relative who lives very close to the WTC - luckily she was out of the city working at another location that day. She was unable to return to her appt for many days though.

My thoughts are with all those who lost their lives and their loved ones on that awful day.

No, some flights did resume a couple days later. It was up to the company to decide which flights they wanted to move working with the FAA. Depended on where you were and where you were going. I know we sat on the ground (it might have been 3 days now that I think of it) after they started flying again for a while. Lower on the totem pole I guess. Once my family knew I was okay, I was fine hanging where I was.

Last edited by aluminumdriver; Sep 12, 09 at 4:36 pm
Old Sep 12, 08, 7:01 am   #51

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP
A truly stirring thread.

Thank you all!

Lurker
Lurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 08, 7:10 am   #52
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike...
Programs: CO, NW & UA forum moderator emeritus
Wow -- what interesting stories. Thanks for posting!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aluminumdriver View Post
...is first hearing ATC coming over GUARD frequency declaring that the US had implemented SCANTANA which is reserved for war, shutting down all navaids and ATC. I had learned about this in my military career and never really thought about it. Very chilling.
Never having heard of SCANTANA before I did some looking and found this interesting story and this article (second one on the page). Incidentally, SCANTANA is an acronym for Security Control of Air Traffic and Navigation Aids.
Xyzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 08, 7:41 am   #53

Programs: VA Gold, UA, SPG Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Ambassador
Quote:
Originally Posted by aluminumdriver View Post
No, some flights did resume a couple days later. It was up to the company to decide which flights they wanted to move working with the FAA. Depended on where you were and where you were going. I know we sat on the ground (it might have been 3 days now that I think of it) after they started flying again for a while. Lower on the totem pole I guess. Once my family knew I was okay, I was fine hanging where I was. I still stay in touch with two of the passengers I met that trip.
Thanks for the info. I am glad you were ok .

Do you fly 747's? I might meet you soon along with Goes2Oz .
Downunder girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 08, 8:03 am   #54

Quote:
Thanks for the info. I am glad you were ok .

Do you fly 747's? I might meet you soon along with Goes2Oz .
No, only as a passenger like you

I fly the Airbus.

AD

Last edited by aluminumdriver; Sep 12, 09 at 4:36 pm
Old Sep 12, 08, 8:14 am   #55

Programs: UA 1k, SPG Plat
Fantastic post! It was so well written. Thank you for sharing your experience. While I wasn't flying that day, my apartment backed up to the north runway (24R) at LAX. By the time I got up, all the planes had been grounded. To look out at LAX and see it completely dead was quite an eery feeling.
reinmedia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 08, 10:39 am   #56

Programs: AS MVPG, UA Platinum
i remember coming home that following weekend, and remember stopping and being with friends that friday at radford university (9.14) as it was my bday and holding candles and all. then, sunday, went to the washington yacht club with my parents, and watched the empty planed leaving DCA heading back to the hubs since DCA was still closed, and they were contemplating never opening it again.

then, on 9.21, i flew TYS-IAD-ORF to go to my brothers wedding. very odd experience. i remember my friends being terrified that i was flying ten days afterward, but i reassured that everything would be fine. i specifically remember walking down to gate D26, and saw flowers everywhere. and ironically, the IAD-ORF flight was oversold because of all of the military personnel flying in, but i chose not to VDB and go to PHF. it's a 2 week stretch i'll never forget, because we had people coming in from all across the country and the whole weekend, though still dark from what had happened (i remember watching bush's address to congress during the bachelor party), went very, very well.
haddon90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 08, 8:12 pm   #57

Programs: UA 1K, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Avis 1st
I hadn't seen this discussion thread before, but I am so glad that I did today. For so many reasons it is good that remembering what happened that day gives us a pause to stop, consider, re-weigh importance, and walk on just a little slower for a while.

Yesterday I flew for the first time on 9/11 since the tragedy in 2001. I wondered whether there would be anything different than any other Thursday when I fly home, and really there wasn't unless you were looking closely. I saw the look on the flight attendant's face when she pulled the wire gate across and stood there facing the cabin before the captain came out of the cockpit, and it really spoke everything that she couldn't say to us passengers. It was sad, and painful, and I mentally flipped the bird to the minds behind the attacks on 9/11/2001, and saluted the people that stood up to it in any way they could. On the global scale it didn't do a darn bit of good, but man it made me feel better.
Trulyblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 08, 10:22 am   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverBrian View Post
I had flown UA to Spokane the evening of 9/10, and I still vividly remember the bored expression on the security guard's face as I went through the metal detector at DIA. The shoes, of course, stayed on that night.
Funny thing is bored security guards was not the problem (even though we've spent billions on it since). The hijackers didn't bring anything on board that wasn't allowed under rules in place at the time.
Mark_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 08, 11:00 am   #59

Programs: HH Diamond, RC Platinum Premier, SPG Platinum, AA Gold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Putt4eagle View Post
This post saddens me... breaks my heart, actually. I don't know what happened to us. We... blue states, red states... Yankee fans, Red Sox fans.. pro-life, choice, black & white, ... weeee were so together the days following the horrible events of 9-11. We watched our POTUS climb on top of the debris pile with that fireman and talk through that bull horn. "and the people who knocked these buildings down will hear from all of us soon." I remember thinking we are on the verge of next "greatest generation". We weren't. We are not "we" anymore. This country is groups of "us" and "them" again. How did we get here?

And please.... before you reply with your political view, right or left, stop. I don't want to hear your opinion. I am an intelligent person. I read the papers, watch the news. You people who have to constantly score political points insult my intelligence. You offend me. I will make up my own mind about the people who run this country and cast my vote accordingly. It was a rhetorical question. I just thought the Bush/bin Ladin reference made in this post was the kind of cheap shot that has reduced us to the bickering a-holes we have become. We could have been like our grandfathers... the greatest generation. But we didn't. We all collectively have failed our children. That is sad... so sad.

Well said, OP.

My mother and colleagues were on a flight from Texas to New Yrok that was turned around and grounded on 9/11. Your words capture so much of what I imagine she went through. At the time, I was in school on the West Coast, and I had no idea what sort of horror was unfolding.

You are a terrific writer... and a very sensible person, too.
WalruSara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 08, 1:48 pm   #60

Programs: UA1k;HH Gold;MR Gold
ON 9/11/2001 I was in bed when the first plane hit. When the WTC went down I was teaching. That was the end of that class.

so on 9/11/2008 I was once again teaching the same class and asked for a moment of silence. Students starting saying how they were in 6th grade and their their teachers told them they were watching history in the making. What a weird thought - its only been 7 years, but already this generation of college students is too young to remember what things were like before 9/11.

What a great initial post.
jan_az is offline   Reply With Quote