Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Listening to Channel 9 on September 11, 2001

Listening to Channel 9 on September 11, 2001

Old Sep 11, 2017, 7:53 am

Programs: UA Million Miler, Lifetime United Club member
My memory still gives me chills

So I was flying EWR to ORD on 9/11, and (shocking) we were slow to take off with the long line of AM traffic (including UA93, so for once a delay at EWR was a good thing).

As you should remember, Sept 11 was a picture perfect day. As we make the turn to take off, the pilot get on the intercom and makes a most unusual comment. I have never heard a pilot do this prior to or after 9/11.

"Folks, for those of you sitting on the right side of the plane, you will have a great view of the New York skyline".

Of course, jaded flyers ignored this quite random comment, little to know that a scant 20 minutes later, the New York skyline would never be the same again. It still makes me wonder why the pilot had the thought to say this, as if he somehow knew that something bad was going to happen.
Old Sep 11, 2017, 8:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Thanks for bumping this up as always. Can't believe it's been 16 years. Can't believe there is a whole generation now alive who hadn't even been born on 9/11 and are older than I was (12 almost 13) on that day.
Old Sep 11, 2017, 12:21 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
I still remember my Mom waking me up that morning in California. It was about a week before I moved away to college so I was enjoying the last bit of time to sleep in. I actually went back to bed for a few hours after groggly looking at the TV.

Today I am flying EWR-SFO which is my first time flying on 9/11. 10 years living in NY each year it would still hang over my head when I would take the subway or think of potential things that could happen for an anniversary attack. Walking by the ESB an hour ago to meet a friend on his lunch break I had a similar "what if" feeling.
Old Sep 11, 2017, 1:31 pm

Programs: UA 1K
I've read this post just about every year. Wonderfully written, and just as chilling each time. I was friendly in college with one of the heroes on UA93. When I read his name as a victim and as one of the leaders, it was numbing....He was an athlete and a leader, and there are likely thousands of people still alive because of what he and his fellow passengers were able to accomplish in a matter of minutes.

My first son was born on 9/12/01. I would take the PATH into the WTC every morning, but my wife had begun early labor and asked me to stay close to home. I would've been in the WTC around 8:30 and likely out of harm's way....but I still can't shake it.
Old Sep 11, 2017, 7:02 pm

Just received this in the mail today (purchased online), 9/11/17.

“In my short tenure as United’s chairman and chief executive officer, I’ve observed a level of resilience among our employees that I’ve frankly not encountered anywhere else during my career. I’ve witnessed not only the strength of our employees’ commitment, but the warmth with with which they display it to our customers and each other. That heartfelt dedication, that resiliency, that steely determination to overcome all obstacles, is what makes me confident that we can rebuilt this company and live up to the promise our 75-year history.”

-John W. Creighton

March 8, 2002

Last edited by tuolumne; Sep 11, 2017 at 7:41 pm
Old Sep 11, 2017, 9:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
I read this thread every year. Still can't believe it's been so long since that day.

If you've never been, I highly recommend a visit to the UA 93 memorial in Shanksville. I flew out there in January and it was extremely moving.

747FC likes this.
Old Sep 11, 2017, 9:10 pm

Programs: UA GS 1MM
Thank you for sharing.

I was really moved by what they posted today.

[QUOTE=tuolumne;28804405]Just received this in the mail today (purchased online), 9/11/17.
tuolumne and 747FC like this.
Old Sep 12, 2017, 12:18 am

Programs: UA 1KMM, Bonvoy LTE+A, HH D, Nat'l EE, Hertz Plat, Avis PC
Thanks, snowed. I had not seen that message from United. Moving to say the least...
Old Sep 12, 2017, 5:51 pm

Programs: None anymore
Originally Posted by snowed
Thank you for sharing.

I was really moved by what they posted today.

I hadn't seen this, but that is very, very moving. Thanks for sharing!
Old Sep 12, 2017, 9:58 pm

I had returned from my first European trip on 9/9/01. I thought that would be my first and last trip.

I have traveled every year since then domestically and internationally.

My office used to overlook SNA, I would often watch planes land and take off. The sight of a plane landing would fill me with joy and dreams of taking off to somewhere...anywhere. The plane had a smile.

Since 9/11/01, the face of a landing plane has turned in to an angry scowl.
Old Sep 11, 2018, 6:51 am

Programs: UA Gold; AA; Amtrak Select Plus;HH Diamond;Hyatt Disc;Hertz PC; Total Wine Grand Reserve!
Time again to bump this thread. The memories of that day still bring me chills!
Old Sep 11, 2018, 11:48 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Sad that Ch9 is pretty much gone now. Without Ch9, the OP would have lost alot.

Last edited by eng3; Sep 11, 2018 at 11:58 am
Old Sep 11, 2018, 12:16 pm

Small world!!

I was one of the aircrafts you saw that day!!
N7 (757) JFK -LAS. Diverted to Rockford, ILL
We were on the tarmac for a long time waiting for the ok to deplane. It was grueling.
Old Sep 11, 2018, 2:40 pm

Programs: UA 1MM
I am flying today, always have since 2001.

I won't let the b@$☆ards win !
RoyalFlush, COSPILOT and wavid like this.
Old Sep 11, 2018, 3:26 pm

Proudly flew United Express today. It was nice to see in Terminal C at EWR a tribute to the United crew who lost their lives on flight 93.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.