Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Everything You Wanted to Know About Where to Sit on a United Express CRJ-700

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 5, 2013, 2:29 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
The CRJ-700 is essentially a stretch CRJ-200 / CL-65.

FIRST CLASS CABIN
First Class is two rows of 1+2 seating. The lefthand side is A and the two righthand seats are D(Aisle) and F(Window). Seat width is given as 19". The paired seats have a wide armrest, but not as wide as that found on the domestic First seat. Probably an inch less or so, and no sculpted little "tray" for drinks.

Pitch is officially given as 37" and this looks to be about right for Row 2. Row 1 has about 40" or so.

There are overhead bins along the right side of the First Class cabin, and they are the same size as those on the CRJ-200. Anything bigger then a laptop bag/briefcase/purse will need to be gate checked.

ECONOMY CABIN
The seats are 2+2 and are covered in blue leather (or a reasonable facsimile thereof). E+ seating is rows 7-9 and row 18 and have 34 inch pitch. All other economy rows have 30" pitch.

Related thread
Heads Up: CR7 Configuration and Seatmap Changes
Print Wikipost

Everything You Wanted to Know About Where to Sit on a United Express CRJ-700

Search this Thread

Old Nov 29, 2016, 5:28 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Seats 7CD in a CRJ-700 have magical under-seat storage

The other night, my wife and I boarded a United CRJ-700 carrying full-size rollaboard suitcases. We have been flying a lot of mainline lately and forgot that the CRJ-700 overhead bins do not quite fit a complaint-but-full-size domestic carry on.

Luckily we were in seats 7CD. Seats 7CD on the CRJ-700 are magical, arguably better than First. Those two seats -- and, as far as I can tell, *none other* -- have enough underseat storage space of the correct size to fit two full-size rollaboard suitcases.

This is kind of magical; this is in fact better than the underseat storage size on many mainline aircraft. (We have stowed a rollaboard underseat in, say, an SQ A380 or 77W F seat before , but that's a little different.) This is almost as magical as the two special seats on the Micronesia 737 that have the legrests (which we have taken once or twice NRT-ICN and which was a fun little FlyerTalk secret).

Here's to you, 7CD. Never change.

(I'm just posting this now because I am flying another CRJ-700 and saw a pax board with a big rollaboard then explain to the FA that he is in seat 7C and he thinks it will be a-okay. She agreed to let him try it.)
Old Nov 29, 2016, 6:55 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, National Emerald Exec
Originally Posted by QBK
the CR7 is the only one where I occasionally look wistfully at Row 7 after getting upgraded.
Soooo 20 in seat width vs < 17.1 (Tray table in armrest so less than standard seat width) and you look wistfully at Row 7 after an upgrade, and apparently someone else trades down for it??? Y'all must be some seriously tall abnormally thin folks if that is really appealing at all.

I agree its likely the best E+ seat in the fleet but lets not get carried away here!
Old Nov 29, 2016, 8:03 pm
QBK

Programs: UA 1K-MM + UC, Marriott Plat, National Exec
Originally Posted by mherdeg
...Seats 7CD on the CRJ-700 are magical, arguably better than First. Those two seats -- and, as far as I can tell, *none other* -- have enough underseat storage space of the correct size to fit two full-size rollaboard suitcases.
Better yet: you can fit a full-sized suitcase under there and stretch your legs out fully!

The other seat that I think is magical is 1A on the 757-300. It's a bulkhead, in F... and by some mechanism that I don't comprehend, it has an enormous cutout. Like, if you haven't experienced it, you cannot imagine it. It's at least 16" deep, and big enough for a rollaboard. It's absurd. It swallowed my largish laptop backpack without a trace and let me stick my feet under there after it. I needed a headlamp and a rope team to find my bag when we landed. (Okay, hyperbole on that last one).

Originally Posted by arctikjon
Soooo 20 in seat width vs < 17.1 (Tray table in armrest so less than standard seat width) and you look wistfully at Row 7 after an upgrade, and apparently someone else trades down for it??? Y'all must be some seriously tall abnormally thin folks if that is really appealing at all.
Interesting. I don't deny your perspective, but honestly I could care less about the seat width thing. I'm genuinely content with Row 16 on the 787-800, which is the narrowest seat (armrest tray table) on a plane famous for narrow seats (3-3-3, and a foot narrower than the 777). I'm 6'1", 190, 33 inch waist. According to BMI, I'm slightly overweight. However, by American standards I might be "abnormally thin".

I do love me some legroom, though. Can't get enough. Seriously. I love being able to stretch my legs out as far as I can... and I'm borderline phobic about not being able to straighten my knees (see "any E- seat").

Incidentally... I've never really gotten the traytable-in-armrest issue. For me, seat width is about shoulder room, and about my neighbors not impinging on me. I don't quite use the whole width of my own seat, so wide armrests are great -- they keep my neighbor further away from me!
Old Mar 14, 2017, 6:08 am

Carry-ons on the CRJ 700

I'll be flying on a CRJ 700 in coach in a few weeks, connecting to another CRJ flight. Assuming my carry-on doesn't fit and needs to be gate-checked, will I get it back at the gate when I arrive at my connecting city, or will they insist on checking it to my final destination? Also, does the fact that they routinely gate-check bags on these flights for return at the gate mean that even if the flight is full, I'm actually less likely to have to check my bag to the final destination than on a mainline flight, because fewer people are bringing carry-on to begin with?

Lastly, is the boarding order on these flights for pax with no status window, then aisle?

Thanks!
Old Mar 14, 2017, 9:24 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by yonatan
I'll be flying on a CRJ 700 in coach in a few weeks, connecting to another CRJ flight. Assuming my carry-on doesn't fit and needs to be gate-checked, will I get it back at the gate when I arrive at my connecting city, or will they insist on checking it to my final destination? ...
Generally UX (United Express) flight gate check with return to you at the flights destination at the gate (green tag).

Also, does the fact that they routinely gate-check bags on these flights for return at the gate mean that even if the flight is full, I'm actually less likely to have to check my bag to the final destination than on a mainline flight, because fewer people are bringing carry-on to begin with? ...
The process for mainline and UX are different -- just make sure they use a green tag and not a white tag.

Lastly, is the boarding order on these flights for pax with no status window, then aisle? ...
non-status aisle will be the last boarding group
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...6-forward.html
Old Mar 14, 2017, 11:49 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Gold
I'll be flying on a CRJ 700 in coach in a few weeks, connecting to another CRJ flight. Assuming my carry-on doesn't fit and needs to be gate-checked, will I get it back at the gate when I arrive at my connecting city, or will they insist on checking it to my final destination? Also, does the fact that they routinely gate-check bags on these flights for return at the gate mean that even if the flight is full, I'm actually less likely to have to check my bag to the final destination than on a mainline flight, because fewer people are bringing carry-on to begin with?

Lastly, is the boarding order on these flights for pax with no status window, then aisle?

Thanks!
It'll be gate checked with a green tag, so make sure you pick it up at your connecting city. You'll gate check it again at that city and pick it up at the jet bridge or plane side at your final destination as well. It doesn't matter how full the flight is. They will gate check it, regardless. If you really want to check it as checked bag with a white tag, you'll have to ask the gate agent to do it. In that case it'll be sent to your final destination baggage claim. It's pretty rare to do this on a UAX flight though.
Old May 19, 2017, 7:20 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
In F, 2A has been my go-to seat then 2D. I usually avoid F bulkheads due to leg room. However, now that I see this thread, I wonder about 1A or 1D since it says 40in.

In Y, I've always chosen 7A but I see many people comment about 7CD. Is there a difference between 7A and 7D? Other than 7B stealing your underseat storage space?
Old Jan 2, 2018, 8:57 am

United Express 1st class

On United Express CRJ-700 version 2. It’s first class is one of the worst. There are two rows of first. My knees are a couple inches from seat in front of me. Under seat room for a bag or feet is abysmal. Also the two FAs were unprofessional.
Old Jan 2, 2018, 9:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
Originally Posted by EQDsSUCK
On United Express CRJ-700 version 2. It’s first class is one of the worst. There are two rows of first. My knees are a couple inches from seat in front of me. Under seat room for a bag or feet is abysmal. Also the two FAs were unprofessional.
evertthing is relative. When the product first came it, FTers lauded having an F cabin at all on the aircraft. But it needs improvement by today’s standards.

How long was your flight?

Last edited by zrs70; Jan 2, 2018 at 11:06 am
Old Jan 2, 2018, 9:22 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
F on RJs is my domestic favorite lol.
Old Jan 2, 2018, 12:56 pm

Originally Posted by zrs70

evertthing is relative. When the product first came it, FTers lauded having an F cabin at all on the aircraft. But it needs improvement by today’s standards.

How long was your flight?
my flight was 2 hours.
generally prefer regional jets, too.
Perhaps am unfairly subconsciously comparing to AA first just took on 737-900
Old May 6, 2018, 5:56 pm

UA CRJ700 slim Economy Seats

I just finished a 2 hour flight on a UA CRJ700 in E+.

This was the worst airline seat I've ever sat in. My seat bottom and seat back felt like plywood.

Notice to UA: if you made the seat thin and horrid to save space, please give me back a thicker seat in E+ even if you take back a couple inches of my E+ legroom. I'm going to need to start paying more attention to equipment when I book flights. I assume planes that have been retrofitted the most recently have the worst seats.

What an awful awful trend in flying.
Old May 6, 2018, 7:00 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold

This was the worst airline seat I've ever sat in. My seat bottom and seat back felt like plywood.

Notice to UA: if you made the seat thin and horrid to save space, please give me back a thicker seat in E+ even if you take back a couple inches of my E+ legroom. I'm going to need to start paying more attention to equipment when I book flights. I assume planes that have been retrofitted the most recently have the worst seats.

In case UA doesn't heed your advice on seating, here's my suggested solution:You need to bring your own padding. @:-)
Old May 6, 2018, 7:02 pm

Agree. Many folks think I’m crazy for actually preferring the CRJ-200 to the -700 if I’m flying in economy, and yes, the CRJ-200 does suck for any infinite number of reasons. However, the actual seat on the UAX CR7 is, bar none, the worst airplane seat I’ve ever sat in. I’ve been on it a handful of times, and there was absolutely no comfortable position whatsoever. That, and the 10-across 777 are my only two absolute do-not-book-in-Y types on UA.
Old May 6, 2018, 7:24 pm

Originally Posted by transportprof
In case UA doesn't heed your advice on seating, here's my suggested solution:You need to bring your own padding. @:-)
HAHA. Fair enough.

Originally Posted by rmadisonwi

Agree. Many folks think I’m crazy for actually preferring the CRJ-200 to the -700 if I’m flying in economy, and yes, the CRJ-200 does suck for any infinite number of reasons. However, the actual seat on the UAX CR7 is, bar none, the worst airplane seat I’ve ever sat in. I’ve been on it a handful of times, and there was absolutely no comfortable position whatsoever. That, and the 10-across 777 are my only two absolute do-not-book-in-Y types on UA.
Good advice. Thanks. I have never paid attention toe equipment when booking as I figured all E+ products were similar enough. But I know better now. Are other airlines better or worse?

Last edited by WineCountryUA; May 6, 2018 at 9:47 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.