Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Everything You Wanted to Know About Where to Sit on a United Express CRJ-700

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 5, 2013, 2:29 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
The CRJ-700 is essentially a stretch CRJ-200 / CL-65.

FIRST CLASS CABIN
First Class is two rows of 1+2 seating. The lefthand side is A and the two righthand seats are D(Aisle) and F(Window). Seat width is given as 19". The paired seats have a wide armrest, but not as wide as that found on the domestic First seat. Probably an inch less or so, and no sculpted little "tray" for drinks.

Pitch is officially given as 37" and this looks to be about right for Row 2. Row 1 has about 40" or so.

There are overhead bins along the right side of the First Class cabin, and they are the same size as those on the CRJ-200. Anything bigger then a laptop bag/briefcase/purse will need to be gate checked.

ECONOMY CABIN
The seats are 2+2 and are covered in blue leather (or a reasonable facsimile thereof). E+ seating is rows 7-9 and row 18 and have 34 inch pitch. All other economy rows have 30" pitch.

Related thread
Heads Up: CR7 Configuration and Seatmap Changes
Print Wikipost

Everything You Wanted to Know About Where to Sit on a United Express CRJ-700

Search this Thread

Old Nov 10, 2006, 12:17 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by CommittedLurker
If you liked the F seats on the CRJ700, you would love the EMB170.
I'd like to, but I've never been on a route where it's been an option. Out here, the UX chioces are CR-7, CRJ, or EMB-120.
Old Nov 10, 2006, 12:48 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AS
Originally Posted by CommittedLurker
If you liked the F seats on the CRJ700, you would love the EMB170. It is better than a 737, I think, minus Ch.9 which I don't really care for.
Agree with the F on EMB170s ... that's a great product for trips of >= 90mins. Using e500s on those flights are generally easy to do.

I'll be on my first CRJ7X+ (is that the proper short hand for CRJ-700 ExPlus?) the day before Thanksgiving doin ORD-RDU in F and then RDU-IAD in seat 3B.
Old Nov 10, 2006, 1:14 pm

Programs: UA MM, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by number5858
Flew on my first ExPlus configured CRJ700 today...Tall people will love seat 3B. LOTS of leg room ...
Oh no. You gave away my secret. Now how am I ever going to get that seat again?

Oh, and on flying F: been op-upped a couple of times SLC to LAX. Problem solved!
Old Nov 10, 2006, 1:57 pm

Programs: UA 1K Marriott T.E. Hertz PC
I took my first ExPlus on Monday ORD-COS. I did get the upgrade both ways with 500 milers. The seats were comfortable for sitting and working. I had 1C on the way out and 2A on the way back.

I usually store my backpack under the seat in front of me...no dice in 1C. The A side of F had NO overhead storage, no dice again as all others in sight were filled. I did not want to gate check my backpack, as I needed my laptop, so the friendly FA stored it in the galley for me. After takeoff, she gathered it for me, and stored it again for landing. I also found it impossible to catch a nap in 1C, as the seat did not recline enough to keep my head from falling forward.

On the way back, I switched to 2A. The seat had almost as much legroom as 1C, and I was able to store my bag under the seat. I was also able to catch a quick nap by leaning on the window. Much better for me than 1C.

The service was adequate, FAs were tied up with serving drinks for a good part of the flight, but had served 2 drinks and the ExPlus snack before serving Y.

Overall, not as comfy as a mainline craft, but SkyWest does a good job on these flights. And F sure beats the heck out of CRJ.
Old Nov 10, 2006, 2:31 pm

Location: Palo Alto. Previously, below the approaches to Rwy 19 @ DCA or 28 @ ORD
Programs: UA 1K 0.8MM, AA EXP
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
F is very nice on those planes too, and a good use of an e-500 (since it's getting harder and harder to use those on mainline flights).
I have to disagree rather strongly. Regional airline FAs make United FAs look like Singapore Girls. Why upgrade if you'll only get a marginally bigger seat and virtually no service?

I'd rather fly in my E+ seat and save the e-500 for a mainline dinnertime flight.
Old Nov 10, 2006, 2:36 pm
Original Member, Moderator: Hotel Deals and MilesBuzz

Hey! 3B is my seat on the CRJ 700!

Old Nov 10, 2006, 2:40 pm

Location: Palo Alto. Previously, below the approaches to Rwy 19 @ DCA or 28 @ ORD
By the way, a word about the exit row:

Exit row 12 on the CR7 is hardly all that great.

The leg room is improved, but it still is inferior to the exit row space on mainline aircraft.

And the seat padding is quite poor -- as is the case with every other seat on the plane, including those up front.

Last edited by ua_to_ord; Nov 10, 2006 at 2:55 pm Reason: typo
Old Nov 10, 2006, 2:44 pm

I don't think the CR7 wants me to fly one..The last few flights I've had booked on them were either cancelled or subbed for non cr7's I did however experience a e170 for a take off roll before we aborted our landing and I went my merry way. It was a very spacious cabin with the singe F seat...someday maybe I'll try one, but it looks like a lot of stars will have to align for it to happen
Old Nov 10, 2006, 2:48 pm

Programs: AA 'kettle', Marriott Gold, ICH Gld, Hertz 5*
IME, lately, I've seen much better F/A service on the regionals, particularly SkyWest and TransStates.

As an example of this, on ALB-IAD UA7950 (E145), the f/a requested a volunteer to move back (I was in 3C) for W/B issues; the ladies around me didn't look interested, so I volunteered. She asked me what I'd like to drink later and I told her.

After settling in with my earplugs and nodding off, a tap on my arm awakened me and the smiling F/A was there with my drink and snack, prior to serving anyone else. She later came back and offered me another refill and asked if I needed anything else. Definitely a ^^ for this excellent F/A.

I've had similar experiences with SkyWest F/A's; some have even remembered me from prior trips and welcomed me.

On-topic, I've flown the CR7's about 6 times now, twice in 2C. Agree about the comfort of the aircraft, especially compared to the CR200, and I've received good service on these a/c from the SkyWest staff.

Only E170 I've flown was BDL-ORD with Shuttle America in 3B; loved the legroom but had to move my legs over as people entered, as the aisle jogs and folks would bump into me; 3DF are much better IMO. Staff was again exemplary.

Pat
Old Nov 10, 2006, 2:52 pm

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by ua_to_ord
Regional airline FAs make United FAs look like Singapore Girls. Why upgrade if you'll only get a marginally bigger seat and virtually no service?
First, if you only fly to ogle women, you obviously have a different set of priorities than I do. Second, I would answer your questions with "then why upgrade mainline domestically?" I've found the difference between Y and F to be greater on a CR7 than on a 737, both in comfort and service. I can fully stretch my legs on a CR7 in F. No way to do that on any domestic F mainilne flight. The Skywest and GoJet FAs I've had have all been top-notch, and we always get pre-departure drinks (something else skipped on many mainline flights) and great service.
Old Nov 10, 2006, 2:58 pm

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
First, if you only fly to ogle women, you obviously have a different set of priorities than I do. Second, I would answer your questions with "then why upgrade mainline domestically?" I've found the difference between Y and F to be greater on a CR7 than on a 737, both in comfort and service. I can fully stretch my legs on a CR7 in F. No way to do that on any domestic F mainilne flight. The Skywest and GoJet FAs I've had have all been top-notch, and we always get pre-departure drinks (something else skipped on many mainline flights) and great service.
Regarding the first point, bear in mind that there is a non-literal interpretation of the word 'look.'

Regarding the second, our experiences may differ since you come from Skywestland whereas I hail from Mesadom. I strongly urge all FT'ers against visiting.
Old Nov 10, 2006, 3:19 pm

our experiences may differ since you come from Skywestland whereas I hail from Mesadom. I strongly urge all FT'ers against visiting.
I've never flown Mesa, but from what I've heard, it's a world of difference. Now that I know you've been flying Mesa, I fully understand your reservations.
Old Nov 10, 2006, 3:19 pm

I hail from Mesadom. I strongly urge all FT'ers against visiting.
Wilco, and I have routed all my trips that must go through IAD onto GoJet, TransStates or TED. IAD is just too juicy a connection point for MR's to avoid right now......

On balance, I have run into some less than savory SkyWest ground staff in my wanderings (at airports where SKW is UA). Flight crews have been top notch though; can't think of one complaint.

Pat
Old Nov 21, 2006, 10:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Wouldn't you like to know?!
I have to disagree rather strongly. Regional airline FAs make United FAs look like Singapore Girls. Why upgrade if you'll only get a marginally bigger seat and virtually no service?

I'd rather fly in my E+ seat and save the e-500 for a mainline dinnertime flight.
And I have to disagree strongly. I just flew LAX-YVR on a CRJ700 (by skywest). I LOVED the plane. No one sat next to me, so my seats were better than F. The ride was much smoother (ok thats weather dependent) and much quieter! Since the engine(s?) was/were in the back of the plane, E+ seats had no noise whatsoever. I didn't even need my noise canceling headsets. The FAs were amazingly friendly, courteous, and referred to everyone as sir, ma'am, etc (don't get my started on mainline). I almost handed some GTEM chits out.... ^

I think I am going to look for those CRJ700 with skywest on some shorter flights now...like LAX-OAK, SNA-SFO etc...I think I'd enjoy it more than mainline
Old Nov 21, 2006, 10:47 am

I almost handed some GTEM chits out....
Yes, I've had this same experience on my last two MR's to ALB, the regional segment on Trans-States. I almost reached for the GTEM, but said to myself "wait, this is what service is supposed to be like". I did leave some See's with the GA in ALB, who I was impressed by the first go-around. She may get a GTEM on the next trip

Pat

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.