Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

sister-in-law flies 1 TPAC roundtrip every month, after 108k PQM, still only a Silver

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

sister-in-law flies 1 TPAC roundtrip every month, after 108k PQM, still only a Silver

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21, 2017, 1:13 pm
Original Poster

My sister-in-law flies one TPAC roundtrip on UA every month. She just returned from her 8th roundtrip a week ago. She showed me her UA account online and it showed just over 108,000 PQM for 2017. Last year, she did about 120,000 PQM, but only got Silver. She is still a Silver now and probably still be a Silver for 2018. The problem is that her company just buys whatever the lowest fare available on UA at time of reservation. The PQD for 2017 is only $4270.

I, on the other hand, have Gold status with just a little over $1200 PQD and 50K+ PQM, because I use my home address in a foreign country.(where I spend about 5 months per year and have bank/utilities/credit card accounts and national health insurance)

Here's my question... what if I let her use my foreign home address as her UA account address? Since I own the house, I can just "lease" her a room and give paperwork to show for it.(she does spend a few days in that house if she happens to be in that city) Or better yet, I don't mind selling 1/2 of the house to my brother so he and my sister-in-law become co-owners.
Old Sep 21, 2017, 1:15 pm

8 TPAC flights for a total of $4270???
Old Sep 21, 2017, 1:18 pm

Programs: UA 1K; *G and *A Top 1000; HHonors Diamond; *$ Gold; Global Entry
Is she ticketing outside of 016 stock but flying partners? Could explain the low PQD figure.
Old Sep 21, 2017, 1:22 pm

Programs: CX Gold
Originally Posted by malgudi
This caught me, too. Average TPAC RT prices at least $1000 if not more. It is amazing that she is able to get an average of $533.75!
Old Sep 21, 2017, 1:22 pm

Programs: 3 MMer
I've seen these questions asked on numerous threads, especially lately.

My question would be, does UA even care? Because if they did, there would be other requirements of proof of residence, the same as drivers license, and vehicle registration, as to which state one is a resident.

Tax returns, would be another way of find out where a persons primary residence it located.

I frankly don't really care who gets 1K w/o paying the big bucks.

Just askin', if one can decide where they want to call home in order to qualify on the cheap?
Old Sep 21, 2017, 1:33 pm

Programs: UA MM/Gold; WN A-list; HH something depending; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by MrWilliamston
Or better yet, I don't mind selling 1/2 of the house to my brother so he and my sister-in-law become co-owners.
Sell or buy half a house to get UA Gold status?
Old Sep 21, 2017, 1:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Two Bee
.... there would be other requirements of proof of residence, the same as drivers license, and vehicle registration, as to which state one is a resident.

Tax returns, would be another way of find out where a persons primary residence it located....
All of which is legally protected confidential information which neither United, nor any other business is entitled to receive a copy of outside of very specific circumstances, such as applying for a mortgage where the requesting company has regulations, policies and procedures to request, review, protect and safely dispose of that information.
Old Sep 21, 2017, 1:39 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Isn't there a more optimal way to ticket, fly, and credit the miles when you're buying deep-discount Y?

Gotta be something more optimal than UA Silver!!
Old Sep 21, 2017, 1:57 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by abaheti
Sell or buy half a house to get UA Gold status?
$1... I trust my brother and sister-in-law with my life. (way more than I trust my own parents or kids)
Old Sep 21, 2017, 2:15 pm

Programs: AS MVP
West Coast-> China runs about $550 round trip these days. 8 round trip * $500 = ~$4k which makes sense.

She's better off crediting the flights to other airlines and earn miles based on distance than cash price.
In The 216 and hokiebuy like this.
Old Sep 21, 2017, 2:29 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, UA Gold, Marriott LTT, Avis President's Club
Sounds like your sister-in-law could of got *G with SQ already. With *G from an international carrier she can have access to all UA clubs even on domestic itineraries (nothing to write home about, but its "free"). Additionally, depending on where she is going in Asia she can just fly SQ.
Old Sep 21, 2017, 2:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
more surprised i am that she still has her sanity than that she has only UA silver status, after that many hours in UA Y on a monthly/yearly basis
abaheti likes this.
Old Sep 21, 2017, 2:34 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by malgudi
I've watch ORD-PEK often at the $500-$600 range so i could believe it.

She could get the UA MPE card, spend 25K and at least get Plat. At least she could use the lounges and get a domestic upgrade every now and then.

Depends what she is looking for out of status. GPUs I presume?
Coskigirl and nnn like this.
Old Sep 21, 2017, 2:41 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Is a Chase MP credit card waiver an option? $25K annual spend waives PQD for Plat and below.

As for the non-USA residency approach, it takes more than a lease.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...c-changes.html
Old Sep 21, 2017, 2:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by eng3
I've watch ORD-PEK often at the $500-$600 range so i could believe it.

She could get the UA MPE card, spend 25K and at least get Plat. At least she could use the lounges and get a domestic upgrade every now and then.

Depends what she is looking for out of status. GPUs I presume?
Unless her company is buying W or higher, GPUs are not gonna work.

David

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.