Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

New safety video (Sep 2017):”Safety is Global III”

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New safety video (Sep 2017):”Safety is Global III”

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20, 2017, 2:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Meh - total waste of money. How about spending a reasonable amount of money on either a simplified graphics centric video, or just a recording of a crew member doing the standard briefing and be done with it - and then invest the difference back in the product where it belongs.
Old Sep 20, 2017, 2:50 pm

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Avis Pres, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by villox
At least I won't be hearing "Babe?" by the left-at-the-altar bride anymore.
Babe?

I've been thinking that's "Dave?" all these years!
Old Sep 20, 2017, 3:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by dmurphynj
Babe?

I've been thinking that's "Dave?" all these years!
Me too - I think it's "Dave".
Old Sep 20, 2017, 3:17 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Worth noting that SQ's new safety video is a full minute longer than UA's...
Old Sep 20, 2017, 3:59 pm

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott/SPG/Hilton Gold, PreCheck + Clear
Originally Posted by findark
Nope, it’s “babe.”
Old Sep 20, 2017, 4:01 pm

Programs: UA Platinum
Has anyone seen this inflight yet?
Old Sep 20, 2017, 4:18 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: IHG Spire, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Titanium, Mileage Plus Gold
One thing I've noticed is that United uses life vest with buckle for securing it around the waist. Some other airlines specifically BA have no buckle and tell you to tie it around your waist. This is something that I noticed from watching the latest safety videos of both United and BA.

Does anyone else think that the buckle United uses is much easier for the common person than BA's "tie it in a double bow"? You can see the life vest demo at time frame 2:40

Old Sep 20, 2017, 4:41 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by bocastephen
Meh - total waste of money. How about spending a reasonable amount of money on either a simplified graphics centric video, or just a recording of a crew member doing the standard briefing and be done with it - and then invest the difference back in the product where it belongs.
Because brand is important, the UA (and others) have recognized that the safety video is an important part of their brand.

Plus of course, the better the video, the better chance people will watch it. As a rule I never watch the safety video, but I just can't seem to help myself watching the TK safety video (the one with "a touch of magic") every single flight I fly with them!
RandomBaritone likes this.
Old Sep 20, 2017, 7:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
It's sad that United has decided that safety is unimportant and deserving of mockery.
Old Sep 20, 2017, 7:15 pm

Programs: United Plat 2MM, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by riphamilton
kangaroo is back for another cameo
And at least three from the Loch Ness Monster, and at least one Llama.

I'm glad we no longer have to listen to "Bigger! Bolder!". What the heck kind of instructions from a conductor is that?
Old Sep 20, 2017, 7:28 pm

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Gold
Originally Posted by findark
I've always heard it as "Steve??". The "where'd he go?!?" from a wedding guest bothered me more

Originally Posted by Miles Ahead
I'm glad we no longer have to listen to "Bigger! Bolder!". What the heck kind of instructions from a conductor is that?
Uhm, that was a Director. You know, in a theater.
Old Sep 20, 2017, 8:57 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Steve or Dave
Old Sep 20, 2017, 9:33 pm

Originally Posted by itsMoe
Neat! I like the Oscar cameo. The 787/737 thing is funny. Was looking to see if Grandpa was around in a 747 jersey....
I don’t think that Oscar was actually on location though. Watch the video and pause it when Oscar is looking at the camera. Nowhere on him is he getting any sun, it looks like a weatherman in front of green screen.

Doesn’t really effect the video, just an observation.

Also, while this might change, here’s my Top 9 of the different Rhapsody versions.

9. Brazilian Party (Reminds me of terrible Olympics amenity kits and video)
8. Emergency Exit Bango (Reminds me of Kangaroo from Version 1)
7. Bavarian Band (Not bad, just not memorable and long)
6. Hot Air Ballon (Not loud enough....)
5. Indian Remix (Catchy and memorable)
4. Central Park (My favorite part of Rhapsody, but it belongs in the end of Big Metal Bird)
3. Northern Lights (A classic part of United’s version, works well with the snow & ice)
2. Safety Card & Stow (Really good and relaxing, but not long enough)
1. Grand Finale (C’mon, who doesn’t love that part of Rhapsody?)

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Sep 20, 2017 at 10:47 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Sep 20, 2017, 10:18 pm

Programs: 3 MMer
SAFETY is GLOBAL III!

I counted and if this video begins in the next 5 days I will be destined to watch it 122 times between now and Feb 16, 2018.

What is of particular concern to me are the "Sky Lanterns" being released into the atmosphere, at the end of this "Safety" video.

OMG! Does anyone realize how many cows can suffer a slow and agonizing death if they eat the wires from these lanterns, should they happen to fall to earth in a farmers pasture?

Sky lanterns have long been a tradition in east Asia, and in particular Thailand. You only have to look into the night air at a festival in Chiang Mai in Thailand to see how popular they are – and how potentially dangerous they can be when lit en mass. I actually suffered deep depression for years after witnessing this event knowing how the environment was being trashed by these incentive happy-go-lucky party animal's.

But the party could be coming to an end. Recently the Vietnamese prime minister, announced that a sky lantern ban would take effect immediately. ... and none too soon if you ask me! Hundreds of fires are caused every year, worldwide, by these floating time bombs! Sky lanterns have even fallen on on power stations causing power blackouts, during Lunar New Year's Eve in many Asian countries. So even in Thailand, some local authorities are now starting to ban the sale of sky lanterns ahead of major festivals, and the sooner the better, if you ask me!

How many people will have to die at sea before people realize that the the coast guards of the world have better things to do than chase these things that look like distress flares

After I sit through the umteenth viewing of this video and witness the encouragement of lighting of the "Friendly Sky's" on fire, it won't be too long before I will find the need to join a movement for a complete ban on this thoughtless and reckless encouragement of destruction of our Global Earth III.
riphamilton likes this.
Old Sep 20, 2017, 10:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by seanp7
I've always heard it as "Steve??". The "where'd he go?!?" from a wedding guest bothered me more
I'm just bothered by the fact that he shows up at the end in the audience. He ran away from his wedding to attend the premiere of Safety is Global II?

Or maybe he thinks no one would ever find him there

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.