Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Boarding Pass Not Required at ORD TSA Checkpoint

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19, 2017, 2:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, UA .53 MM, Marriott Gold, Nexus, GE, TSA Pre, Hertz PC

Traveling through ORD today, and went through the TSA Precheck entry point in Terminal 1, near the Global Entry counter.

They did the initial review of the boarding pass to confirm that I had precheck, but then when I got to the actual TSA Agent, she only wanted my passport.

There were two lanes set up - one of the agents was checking the "old-school" way where the PAX scans their boarding pass, and then the agent confirms ID.

In the other lane, they had a piece of paper taped over the boarding pass scanner. The PAX in front of me had a driver's license, and the agent loaded that into a machine and then cleared them to proceed. For me, she scanned my passport and then I was cleared...without ever looking at my boarding pass!

Has this been going on for a while? I can't really tell if it was more efficient, however I'm sure it removes the risk for some fake IDs and human error when verifying identity.
Old Sep 19, 2017, 2:45 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
So anyone with some sort of ID can go airside at ORD when they're not flying? That seems strange. Those people haven't even paid the fees for airport security.

Also why even look at the ID at all? It's not like the TSA employee checking documents has all the names on the no fly list memorized.
Old Sep 19, 2017, 2:49 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
So anyone with some sort of ID can go airside at ORD when they're not flying? That seems strange. Those people haven't even paid the fees for airport security.

Also why even look at the ID at all? It's not like the TSA employee checking documents has all the names on the no fly list memorized.
I'm assuming United has my passport information tied to my flights? Similarly to how when you go through GE or Nexus it asks you to confirm the flight you're traveling on?

....so when they scan my passport, pulls up some sort of information about me as a flier and knows that I am traveling?

I'm not sure what would happen if someone tried to go through without having an actual flight that day...
Old Sep 19, 2017, 2:52 pm

Programs: UA GS, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by LRMErnst
Traveling through ORD today, and went through the TSA Precheck entry point in Terminal 1, near the Global Entry counter.

They did the initial review of the boarding pass to confirm that I had precheck, but then when I got to the actual TSA Agent, she only wanted my passport.

There were two lanes set up - one of the agents was checking the "old-school" way where the PAX scans their boarding pass, and then the agent confirms ID.

In the other lane, they had a piece of paper taped over the boarding pass scanner. The PAX in front of me had a driver's license, and the agent loaded that into a machine and then cleared them to proceed. For me, she scanned my passport and then I was cleared...without ever looking at my boarding pass!

Has this been going on for a while? I can't really tell if it was more efficient, however I'm sure it removes the risk for some fake IDs and human error when verifying identity.
How did you initially check in?
Old Sep 19, 2017, 2:54 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AugustusM
How did you initially check in?
I checked in with the United app, showed my mobile boarding pass to the AirServ (I think?) rep standing at the very front of the queue, and then gave only my passport to the TSA agent.

FWIW, I am flying ORD-LAX-SFO.
Old Sep 19, 2017, 2:55 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Formerly Starbucks Gold
This sounds like the new program the TSA was introducing. I believe that the information is tied to a boarding pass, so you obviously need a pass. But instead of looking at your pass, they quickly look at/scan one of your documents and you're good to go.

Here's something similar - http://www.denverpost.com/2017/06/13...ional-airport/
Old Sep 19, 2017, 2:56 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AS
Sounds like a similar thing to what was reported in these threads:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chec...ired-used.html
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trus...heck-lane.html
SFOrunner likes this.
Old Sep 19, 2017, 2:56 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
I see this at AUS. The TSA agent will scan your ID, which pulls your name and DOB to match up to your KT profile, which will then locate your flight information based on the KTN in your record. The screen on the agent's side populates with date, destination, flight number, etc. It appeared that there was some new equipment on the agent's side to facilitate this process.

I think this is one of the first steps toward introducing biometrics into traveler identity verification. Still somewhat redundant, given that you need to pull out a boarding pass to demonstrate Pre eligibility, but I like not having to hand two things to the agent, or fumble with an ID while I swipe the BP open in my phone.
Old Sep 19, 2017, 3:03 pm

Programs: UA, Starwood, Priority Club, Hertz, Starbucks Gold Card
PIT announced last week that it was allowing non-ticketed people into airside, so perhaps this is part of a gradual rollout to more U.S. airports.
Old Sep 19, 2017, 3:30 pm

Programs: UA Gold, DL DM, UA 1K, MR PP
Originally Posted by sinoflyer
PIT announced last week that it was allowing non-ticketed people into airside, so perhaps this is part of a gradual rollout to more U.S. airports.
If anyone can clear security, and if they don't check IDs at the gate, you could essentially sell (or give) your ticket to anyone, and they could fly on your behalf.

I wonder if this could open up opportunity for a secondary market of ticket sales, or at least a way to get some value for non-refundable tickets similar to last minute event ticket sales on stubhub?
Old Sep 19, 2017, 3:31 pm

Programs: UA Gold, DL DM, UA 1K, MR PP
Double Post
Old Sep 19, 2017, 3:34 pm

Programs: AA LT Plat, UA 1k/1mm+, National EE, IC Plat, Bonvoy Gold
Same at AUS Checkpoint 2. No longer require boarding pass on the left side scanner. Only ID.
Old Sep 19, 2017, 3:40 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
As other have mentioned TSA has been piloting a number of new programs, as this is not UA specific and there are a couple of active threads in Travel Safe / Security forum

No Boarding Pass Required at TSA PreCheck Lane
This started in AUS at the end of July 2017

New TSA ID scanners for PreCheck Passengers - No Boarding Passes Required/Used

let's continue the discussion on these forums

and
Additionally in the news

KXAN - TSA Pre-check travelers will only need ID at Austin airport

USA Today - Pittsburgh to be first airport to allow non-fliers past security since 9/11
This started in early Sept 2017

TSA tests using fingerprints as boarding passes at Denver International Airport
and ATL

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Sep 19, 2017 at 4:00 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.