Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Travel Waiver: Hurricane Jose (September 18, 2017 - September 20, 2017)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18, 2017, 4:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K

Airports:
  • Boston, MA (BOS)
  • Hartford, CT (BDL)
  • New York/Newark, NJ (EWR)
  • New York-Kennedy, NY (JFK)
  • New York-LaGuardia, NY (LGA)
  • Philadelphia, PA (PHL)
  • Providence, RI (PVD)
  • White Plains, NY (HPN)
Rebook by September 23, 2017.

Waiver: https://www.united.com/CMS/en-US/tra...eptionPolicies

Waiver Parameter Code: 1+ (One Plus)

David
Attached Images  
Old Sep 18, 2017, 6:30 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
I'm flying through EWR tomorrow and just received a text from UA regarding the same. Does anyone think that there may be service disruptions at EWR tomorrow. I arrive around 3:00 pm and depart around 5:00 pm.. Thanks and Safe Travels
Old Sep 18, 2017, 6:55 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Citi Prestige, AMEX Platinum, SPG Gold
I, too, have a stop-over at one of the affected airports. What is the best practice for figuring out whether to take such a waiver and when? I had an unlikely upgrade clear on a 777-300ER with the new Polaris hard product, and I was eager to try it out. I'd almost certainly have to re-route onto another airline and lose any possibility of J, let alone Polaris. But of course I'd be even sadder not to get home...

Also, I was kind of counting on the PQM. Can one get original routing credit after taking such a waiver?
Old Sep 18, 2017, 7:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ftweb
I, too, have a stop-over at one of the affected airports. What is the best practice for figuring out whether to take such a waiver and when? I had an unlikely upgrade clear on a 777-300ER with the new Polaris hard product, and I was eager to try it out. I'd almost certainly have to re-route onto another airline and lose any possibility of J, let alone Polaris. But of course I'd be even sadder not to get home...

Also, I was kind of counting on the PQM. Can one get original routing credit after taking such a waiver?
My personal best practice is to rebook as soon as flight operations look likely to be affected. If you don't think that you could find another UA flight, I'm not sure that you should be in too much of a rush, because it's unlikely (not impossible) that they will put you on another carrier until/unless your flight is cancelled (and may not do so even then).

In general, you are not eligible for ORC if you take advantage of a waiver -- it's considered a voluntary change. If your flight is cancelled before you rebook, it would be considered involuntary and thus you should be ORC-eligible.
Old Sep 18, 2017, 7:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by Flying Machine
I'm flying through EWR tomorrow and just received a text from UA regarding the same. Does anyone think that there may be service disruptions at EWR tomorrow. I arrive around 3:00 pm and depart around 5:00 pm.. Thanks and Safe Travels
I think it's too far out in the water to cause any significant disruption. Does that mean there would be no disruptions? Of course not; then again, even on a sunny day there are always some kind of issues at EWR.

Good luck!
Old Sep 18, 2017, 7:47 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Originally Posted by Repooc17
I think it's too far out in the water to cause any significant disruption. Does that mean there would be no disruptions? Of course not; then again, even on a sunny day there are always some kind of issues at EWR.

Good luck!
Thanks.. Even as I type this reply EWR has flow control for inbound aircraft of 75 minutes due to "low ceilings". I just don't have a warm fussy feeling about this. Hope your right.. Safe Travels
Old Sep 18, 2017, 7:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Too far out? I don't get this - just because a hurricane or storm does not make landfall doesn't mean that its clouds and outer winds don't affect air travel in the region.

Take a look at your favorite weather source and see that the outer cloud bands are affecting the whole northeast. Because of this, NE airports are already/currently showing delays on the FAA delay map and BOS is under a ground stop as I type this. Also, the National Hurricane Center and the Weather Service have posted Tropical Storm Watches for the eastern end of Long Island and Tropical Storm Warnings for CT/RI/MA. Also, air routes across the North Atlantic are affected.

If you take a look at the advisories that are coming out of FAA's Air Traffic Control System Command Center, their latest Operations Plan indicates that, on top of the gusty wind impacts of Jose off in the Atlantic, they are planning for thunderstorms in DTW/ORD/MDW/IAH/HOU and low cloud ceilings in SEA and LAX for tomorrow (09/19/17). So much of United's network will be impacted by weather both today as well as tomorrow and quite likely into Wednesday.

David
Old Sep 18, 2017, 8:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
It's what, 430 miles SSE of EWR? Tomorrow (Tuesday) is going to be okay.

Old Sep 19, 2017, 12:51 pm

Programs: Amtrak Select Plus, Marriott Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond
Do they ever offer refunds or at least ETC in cases like this? I don't think a reschedule within these parameters will work for me.
Old Sep 19, 2017, 12:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by vatraveler
Do they ever offer refunds or at least ETC in cases like this? I don't think a reschedule within these parameters will work for me.
If things look really bad, they'll expand the waiver to allow you to use it on any flight for the duration of the ticket.

If your flight is cancelled or significantly delayed (> 2 hours), you can always ask for a refund. The only thing that adding that language to the waiver would do is give you the opportunity to do it in advance.
Old Sep 19, 2017, 1:31 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Silver, Hertz
I got nervous and took advantage of the EWR weather waiver to leave this morning vs. a 6:30 PM flight tonight. I have a meeting in the SJC area for tomorrow morning and was on the direct flight - which is only once a day. I was worried that I would be out of options if the 6:30 PM was cancelled. Of course, it still appears to be On Schedule. I ended up connecting through IAH, with both flights landing early.

All things considered, it was worth getting up at a ridiculous time this morning for peace of mind!
Old Sep 19, 2017, 8:16 pm

Location: Homosassa, FL & Ringwood, NJ -UA-G(Lifetime); SPG-Plat (Lifetime)
I have a 10PM flight to DUB from EWR tomorrow night and am nervous.
Old Sep 19, 2017, 11:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Looks like Jose will park itself off of the mid-Atlantic for the next 5 days.

As of tonight the storm keeps pushing cloud and wind bands onshore.

WRT United flights at least, they appear to be heading north over New England and Canada's Maritime Provinces before heading east to Europe.

David
Attached Images  

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.