Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Does (should) UA have a policy on dogs poopin in the lavs?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Does (should) UA have a policy on dogs poopin in the lavs?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16, 2017, 9:29 pm

Programs: UA GS
This is truly one of the strangest threads I've read on FT. I still don't know how I'd get my dog to go in a lav. If I ever traveled with him I gather I'd use a diaper. But generally he can go several hours without needing relief.
Old Sep 16, 2017, 9:57 pm

Programs: AA/US PlatPro & 1.05MM, DL Plat (challenge), UA dirt
Originally Posted by Baze
And a transcon can be up to 5-7 hours, international longer. Or should service animals not be allowed to fly anything over 4 hours which would mean the human they are servicing can't fly anything over 4 hours. Guess they don't get to go to grammas funeral or a siblings wedding or anything else that may require a flight over 4 hours.

And I agree, it is the abuse of the owners of the non-service animals that gets me.
When we would travel with my labradoodle, we would just check him in as luggage (crate was properly labeled, even had the "this end up" sticker) and he would survive flights of various lengths, even including HKG-JFK. He was happy when he was checked-in and happy when we got him out of Customs. Only once did we toy with the idea of paying the in-cabin fee, but we decided against it. It probably also helped that he was quite mellow and would normally just lay down and watch the world go by.

I think the most insane interaction that I have seen with an ESA was a few years ago at SFO. Just before boarding the LX SFO-ZRH flight, a guy went up to the counter to inquire about his ESA...a chinchilla. An argument ensued because said chinchilla did not have the requisite documents to enter Switzerland, and therefore would not be allowed to travel. The traveler claimed that because it was an ESA, he didn't need to do any of that since it was an ESA. In the end, I did not see him board the aircraft.
Old Sep 16, 2017, 9:57 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Free Agent
Originally Posted by Mauibaby2008
How are some people able to completely ignore reality ?

animals piss and .... just like you do ..
Excellent! Considering I've never had to (and never will) perform a bodily function other than pissing in an airplane lav, I'm looking forward to animals exercising a similar level of self-control. Condolences to the OP for his/her unfortunate situation.
Old Sep 16, 2017, 11:29 pm

Programs: DL DM, 5.7 MM, UA 3.1 MM, MARRIOTT PLATINUM, AVIS FIRST, Amex Black Card
WINNER thread of the week. I think this was a 2-1/2 hour flight. I sure hope the poor pooping pooch did not drink the "blue juice" in the LAV or worse get sucked in if the PX flushed. That would be a crappy situation. The "friendly skies - United".
Old Sep 17, 2017, 7:47 am
Suspended

Programs: *A
Jeez, in a year we've gone from Economy, to Fight Club, to the Kennel Club.
EdV, transportprof and ne52 like this.
Old Sep 17, 2017, 8:21 am
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Then that means the dog goes in the space where everyone is sitting. I would rather they use the lav and not go in the area where I may be sitting.
This. I'd rather by far the dog go in the lav and have it picked up and flushed than in the carrier under the seats nearby.
NoLaGent likes this.
Old Sep 17, 2017, 8:27 am

Programs: GS, 3 MM, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by exerda
This. I'd rather by far the dog go in the lav and have it picked up and flushed than in the carrier under the seats nearby.
The real problem relates to the increased number of animals in the cabin compared to a few years ago when the airlines more or less enforced policies that only allowed guide dogs for handicapped individuals. An increased number of pets (alias "comfort animals") inevitably increases the odds of poop in the cabin.
Old Sep 17, 2017, 10:13 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I'd rather have the dog go in its kennel in the hold where it belongs.
Old Sep 17, 2017, 10:17 am

Programs: American EXP; British Airways Gold
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
The dog? In the hold.
Best post of the decade. ^
Old Sep 17, 2017, 10:33 am

Programs: UA 1K, UA .53 MM, Marriott Gold, Nexus, GE, TSA Pre, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Kacee
Was the dog seated in F? They should definitely not allow Y dogs in the F lav.
"Back to your seat, pauper pup!"
Old Sep 17, 2017, 11:46 am

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Originally Posted by halls120
I'd rather have the dog go in its kennel in the hold where it belongs.
As someonewho is allergic to animal dander (although love animals and have had a number of dogs and cats over the years and used my inhaler on a frequent basis) - this x 1000!

It is concerning enough to me to be on a plane with animals and having an asthma attack in a confined place with recirculated air without the additional concern of the lavatories having animal dander. I do try and avoid using lavatories on the plane and now have an added incentive to avoid them if people are taking animals in there.

I totally understand about legitimate service animals. Some of the best behaved animals as they have a job to do. Never thought about the bodily functions for them (apart from the animal relief areas).

Pets belong in the hold. Period
Collierkr likes this.
Old Sep 17, 2017, 12:07 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
I'm on an Allegiant flight with a therapy dog that has its own Instagram page...
NoLaGent likes this.
Old Sep 17, 2017, 12:46 pm

Programs: UA 1K and Million Miler, *A Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hertz Five Star,
Sorry, it all kind of started to run together. But where would you have the service dog go on a long international trip? That seems to be the bone of contention with the other poster but they never said where they would be ok with it only where they don't want it.
Why does someone who MUST have a service dog with them need to travel internationally? I can think of a few you might offer but none of these are must travel or die situations. There are a lot of things that can be accommodated for in life but there are also limits.
Old Sep 17, 2017, 12:47 pm

Programs: UA Life Gold, Marriott Life Titanium
Originally Posted by Collierkr
Had I seen that I would have immediately knocked On the door and gently removed that pax.
I would have enjoyed video of you getting arrested after the plain diverted due to your criminal assault and battery on a passenger while in flight.
Old Sep 17, 2017, 1:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

While I think I've made it quite clear that I do not approve of pets (including, by definition, ESAs) in the cabin, I would never go so far as to pick one up and flush it down the airplane toilet. That would be cruel to the animal and would likely put the lav out of service for the remainder of the flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.