Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

[Targeted] Purchase/travel major $$$ ticket by 15 Nov 2017 and earn bonus miles

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 14, 2017, 1:31 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
link ---- Similiar to last year's (2016) promo
Targeted and offers vary

Terms and conditions:

For this promotion, only dollars spent on the "fare" on eligible flights operated by United® and United Express® will qualify toward meeting spending milestones. Certain specialty tickets, including but not limited to unpublished, consolidator/bulk, group, tour and opaque fares, will not be counted towards spending milestones. Dollars spent on tickets purchased for flights operated by Star Alliance™ member airline or a United MileagePlus® partner airline with tickets issued by United (ticket number starting with "016") will not qualify for this offer. The "fare" is the base fare of the ticket plus carrier-imposed surcharges, excluding any government-imposed taxes and surcharges. For tickets purchased in a currency other than U.S. dollars, we will convert the purchase to U.S. dollars using an industry standard exchange rate and then calculate the number of miles you will earn. Please note that the price displayed when purchasing a ticket on united.com includes up to a 7.5% U.S. Federal Transportation Tax on the base amount of the fare on itineraries wholly within the United States. This tax also applies to certain itineraries between the United States and Canada or Mexico. You will not earn Premier® qualifying dollars (PQD) or award miles for the full amount of the displayed price for these itineraries because the U.S. Federal Transportation tax is not eligible to earn PQD or miles.

For this promotion, rewards will be awarded for each spending threshold that has been met, subject to the terms and conditions. Threshold bonuses may be earned only once. Partial bonuses will not be awarded for members who don't reach a certain threshold. All calculations made in connection with this offer will be made by MileagePlus in its discretion and considered final.
1. Only original recipients of this email invitation can register and participate in this promotion.
2. Registration is required by November 1, 2017. Only tickets purchased and ticketed after registration and within the ticketing dates will qualify.
3. Ticketing dates: September 14, 2017, through November 15, 2017.
4. Offer is valid for travel beginning on or after September 14, 2017, and completed on or before November 15, 2017.

5. Tickets purchased in Basic Economy (N fare class) are not eligible for this promotion.
6. Offer is not valid on government fares.
7. Qualifying flight activity must be posted to the member's MileagePlus account in order to qualify for this offer.
8. Flights on award travel tickets and other tickets that do not earn Premier qualifying credits do not qualify for meeting the requirements of this offer.
9. This offer is not combinable with other non-combinable offers.
10. Bonus will post to your MileagePlus account six to eight weeks after the promotion end on November 15, 2017. Bonus will be calculated using the originally ticketed fare and/or fare classes and Economy Plus® purchases, as applicable, and subsequent changes to any fare and/or fare classes as a result of itinerary changes, complimentary or paid upgrade, purchase of travel products (including but not limited to United ClubSM, Premier Access®, Award Accelerator®, Premier AcceleratorSM), irregular operations or otherwise will not be considered.
11. Bonus award miles are redeemable miles and do not count toward Premier status. Award miles do not apply to class-of-service bonus miles, Premier bonus miles or promotional Premier qualifying miles.
12. Dollars earned toward this promotion will count as Premier qualifying dollars (PQD) toward MileagePlus Premier status qualification, but do not guarantee status. All other requirements must be met for the applicable Premier status.
13. E-Ticket purchase is required. Service charges for ticketing with a United representative in the 50 United States, District of Columbia and Canada are $25 by phone, $30 at a City Ticket Office and $35 in person at the airport. Ticketing charges may vary outside of the U.S. and Canada and based on MileagePlus status level. The ticketing service charge does not apply for tickets purchased on united.com. Service charges are subject to change without notice.
14. Offer is subject to change without notice. Other restrictions may apply.
Print Wikipost

[Targeted] Purchase/travel major $$$ ticket by 15 Nov 2017 and earn bonus miles

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21, 2017, 7:34 pm
Formerly known as CollegeFlyer

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA PLT, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5*
"Exclusively for you: Earn XXX,XXX bonus miles" doesn't work?

I received an apparently targeted e-mail from United, which says:

For a limited time, you can earn up to 120,000 bonus award miles when you choose to fly United®. With each trip, you'll be closer to reaching your personalized milestones and collecting your total reward.
Don't hesitate. Simply register today and travel through November 15, 2017, on qualifying United or United Express® flights to earn thousands of bonus miles.

Register with one click ›
The T&C's of the e-mail indicate that spending $2,400 will yield 24,500 bonus miles, while spending $5,800 (total) will yield an additional 95,500 bonus miles.

Not too shabby, since I need to spend a few thousand $$ to maintain 1K anyway. However, when I click the "Register with one click," the resulting page (on UA's new, clunky, redesigned website) says:

We couldn't find what you were looking for...

It looks like the page you requested could not be found. Please try again
Has anyone else experienced this? Did UA change their website, breaking their own marketing links? What to do?

Thanks..

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Sep 21, 2017 at 8:34 pm Reason: merged into consolidated thread
Old Sep 21, 2017, 8:36 pm
Moderator: United Airlines
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by EsquireFlyer
.... What to do? ...
Use
https://promotions.united.com/offers/flyunited
Old Sep 21, 2017, 10:30 pm
Formerly known as CollegeFlyer

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA PLT, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Thanks! What would I do without FT...
Old Sep 22, 2017, 2:17 pm

Tick-tock: Thousands of bonus award miles could be yours

Anyone get this email?

Spend $1400 - 10,000 bonus award miles
Spend total of $2900 - 44,000 more award miles

I click on the link and it takes you to https://promotions.united.com/offers .. which doenst even work

Tried promotions.united.com but no luck either...
Old Sep 22, 2017, 2:33 pm

Programs: UA 1K; *G and *A Top 1000; HHonors Diamond; *$ Gold; Global Entry
Not eligible. Despite having requalified for 1K and blown past 150k PQMs already.
Old Sep 22, 2017, 8:28 pm

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
Originally Posted by Kacee
I think this is just a test run to see how many customers will bite on a really crappy promo.
Since Jeff's ascension in 2012 I have gotten zero, as in NONE, offers. I went from multi-year GS to basically not flying United. Not a peep.

But today, I got my first offer. "This is the offer you’ve been waiting for. Simply make United your airline of choice when you’re on the go and rack up thousands of bonus award miles." $7100 = 112,000 miles, $11,500 = another 175,000 miles. So toss UA $11,500 in travel and I would get 287,000 miles.

I think that is the best offer out there. Alas, already booked two J tickets SFO-NYC in that period on OALs, and I'm not inclinded to toss that kind of travel UA's way in any event.

Lets the bonds fray, its very hard to get a customer back...
Old Sep 22, 2017, 11:44 pm

Originally Posted by jsloan
Did you get a promo code? This looks a lot like last year's promo, right down to ignoring tickets that were already purchased. I rarely if ever get emails from UA, but if you have a code I'd like to try and see if I was invisibly targeted (as, I'm sure, would others
Hello. Two questions please:

1) You said that they ignore tickets already booked. If so, does the person targeted (my S/O) have to make the reservation or is it OK as long as if we're on the same itinerary together?

2) Does that count the same if the ticket #'s start w/ "016" or do I need to cancel and rebook? I have a 1-way booked in 1st RSW-PHL 10/27/17 3:20PM-11:17PM $413x2=$825.80.

$500 - 5K miles $800 - 13K miles

Last edited by mommafrica; Sep 22, 2017 at 11:51 pm
Old Sep 23, 2017, 12:02 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by mommafrica
.... 1) You said that they ignore tickets already booked. If so, does the person targeted (my S/O) have to make the reservation or is it OK as long as if we're on the same itinerary together? ...
Who makes the reservation does not matter as longer the individual's MP account is included.

.... 2) Does that count the same if the ticket #'s start w/ "016" or do I need to cancel and rebook? I have a 1-way booked in 1st RSW-PHL 10/27/17 3:20PM-11:17PM $413x2=$825.80. ...
Only the dollars for the targeted individual count. And it is the PQDs, not the full price.

"016" is an UA ticket number. But the key item is when purchased? Within the promotion window?
Old Sep 23, 2017, 12:02 am

Originally Posted by getagb
might be worth cancelling and rebooking to take advantage of the $800 offer
S/O other received the same except the $800 is for 13K miles. Itinerary is mixed as well. How can it be rebooked w/out being charged? I'm Silver and S/O has no status but booked on AU cc (I'm the primary).
Old Sep 23, 2017, 12:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hello. Two questions please:

1) You said that they ignore tickets already booked. If so, does the person targeted (my S/O) have to make the reservation or is it OK as long as if we're on the same itinerary together?

2) Does that count the same if the ticket #'s start w/ "016" or do I need to cancel and rebook? I have a 1-way booked in 1st RSW-PHL 10/27/17 3:20PM-11:17PM $413x2=$825.80.

$500 - 5K miles $800 - 13K miles
1 - It doesn't matter who makes the reservation or how many people are on the reservation. Only tickets purchased after registration for the offer will count, and only the Premier Qualifying Dollars (PQDs) for the person whose account was targeted will matter. In other words, the ticket you have listed will count for approximately $370 toward the promo, if purchased after registration. (Taxes and fees don't count, and your ticket won't count toward your SO's promo).

2 - According to the terms & conditions from the wiki, ticket stock doesn't appear to matter; if the flight is operated by United, not in Basic Economy class (N fare class), and not a bulk / consolidator ticket, the PQDs it generates should count. I'm a little unclear how or why you would get a ticket on non-016 stock for RSW-PHL, however.

Itinerary is mixed as well.
What do you mean, the itinerary is mixed?

How can it be rebooked w/out being charged?
Barring a flight cancelation / extreme delay / weather waiver / etc., it's extremely unlikely that you can rebook the ticket without paying a substantial penalty.
mommafrica likes this.

Last edited by jsloan; Sep 23, 2017 at 12:09 am Reason: Added quote to new reply
Old Sep 23, 2017, 12:32 am

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Who makes the reservation does not matter as longer the individual's MP account is included.

Only the dollars for the targeted individual count. And it is the PQDs, not the full price.

"016" is an UA ticket number. But the key item is when purchased? Within the promotion window?
Thanks for the quick reply. Definitely purchased during this promo (9/17).

From your 2nd paragraph: b/c of the tight window frame this is how the $800 comes into play. We have a previously booked 1-way flight of SEA-PHL 1st Class (10/2) and seems to be all UA metal (10:35AM - 8:56PM).

How do we know our PQD's?
Old Sep 23, 2017, 12:36 am
Original Poster

... How do we know our PQD's?
For a domestic flight, it is the item listed on the itinerary receipt as "airfare" before taxes/fees that are added to make the full price.
mommafrica likes this.
Old Sep 23, 2017, 12:47 am

Originally Posted by jsloan
1 - It doesn't matter who makes the reservation or how many people are on the reservation. Only tickets purchased after registration for the offer will count, and only the Premier Qualifying Dollars (PQDs) for the person whose account was targeted will matter. In other words, the ticket you have listed will count for approximately $370 toward the promo, if purchased after registration. (Taxes and fees don't count, and your ticket won't count toward your SO's promo).

2 - According to the terms & conditions from the wiki, ticket stock doesn't appear to matter; if the flight is operated by United, not in Basic Economy class (N fare class), and not a bulk / consolidator ticket, the PQDs it generates should count. I'm a little unclear how or why you would get a ticket on non-016 stock for RSW-PHL, however.

What do you mean, the itinerary is mixed?

Barring a flight cancelation / extreme delay / weather waiver / etc., it's extremely unlikely that you can rebook the ticket without paying a substantial penalty.
We're new to this type of promo so you will always be unclear w/ us LOL. I/we meant mixed cabin. The tickets do start w/ 016 but we thought this was no good. And what do you mean by non-016 stock (think we understand this but not certain)?
Old Sep 23, 2017, 1:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

We're new to this type of promo so you will always be unclear w/ us LOL. I/we meant mixed cabin. The tickets do start w/ 016 but we thought this was no good. And what do you mean by non-016 stock (think we understand this but not certain)?
:-) No problem. I just misunderstood what you were trying to say.

"Ticket stock" refers to the airline that issued the ticket. All tickets issued by United airlines are said to be "plated" on United "stock." The terminology goes back to the days of paper tickets, when a travel agent would keep a book of blank ticket stock for each airline they served, and would have a metal plate that would be inked and stamped onto the ticket in order to validate it as having been issued (and not stolen or forged). All United ticket numbers begin with 016, so "016 stock" just means "a United-issued ticket;" your question about "016" tickets made me think that you had gotten tickets from another airline for domestic travel on United. That's possible, but it would be unusual, and I asked because I wanted to make sure that we weren't leading you in the wrong direction.

TL/DR: "016 stock" is "a ticket issued by United;" "non-016 stock" is "a ticket issued by another airline."

Being on a mixed cabin won't affect your eligibility for the promotion.

You said that the ticket in question was purchased during the promotional period. The actual requirement is that the ticket be purchased after you registered for the promotion. So, if you learned about the promo today, tickets purchased on 9/17 won't count; but if you signed up for it on 9/16, tickets purchased on 9/17 will count.

You may be able to see the PQDs for future travel on your reservation summary -- look for a link that says "MileagePlus earning information" on the web or "Accruals for this trip" on the app. It won't appear for every itinerary, and sometimes what it says won't make any sense. But if it shows something reasonable -- about $380 for your RSW-PHL trip, I'd say -- it should be correct.
mommafrica likes this.
Old Sep 23, 2017, 7:49 am

Copying/paste the link somehow worked, but anyway, the direct link posted above worked too.

I registered on 9/21 - "You registered for this offer on September 21, 2017"

I booked a flight on 9/21 2:22 PM

No idea what time I registered..

Hope to get miles/$$ credit

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.