Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

PDX - LHR in Y - Which flight / route to take ?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

PDX - LHR in Y - Which flight / route to take ?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14, 2017, 11:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: Don't think it matters...
As few members correctly assumed, I don't have the US passport and hence restrictions on connecting in Canada.

I don't have any program preferences, since I usually travel Y and not much travel recently so never got many '000 miles, but I will surely credit the same to some ffp..

I am a member of DL (Skyteam) and also *A, so that is not an issue.. indifferent means I am not at such elite levels in these programs that it can sway me , but yes I do make sure all flights are credited to a decent earning program for later use.
Old Sep 14, 2017, 12:13 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by abhilife2001
From the below 3 options, which one is recommended (and why ?) . Y Class travel.
DL nonstop, because extra connections add potential trouble and it is Y travel so not a ton of difference in the product.

If that's not viable then 767>777-200>747>777-300 in Y on United from a personal space perspective. But, based on routing, probably not from a positioning/flight timing perspective.
Old Sep 14, 2017, 3:40 pm

You could try routing via SFO, SJC or OAK and fly BA or take the non stop flight from PDX or head up to SEA or YVR. I prefer the long flight from the West Coast as I have dinner while watching a movie and then I try to sleep for 5-6 hours on the flight.
Old Sep 14, 2017, 4:35 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT (3.6+ MM), UA 1K LT Gold, Hilton LT Diamond, Bonvoy Gold.
I know this is the UA thread, but OP, have you considered the DL direct flight from PDX to LHR?
Old Sep 14, 2017, 4:53 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott PP
Originally Posted by sbm12
DL nonstop, because extra connections add potential trouble and it is Y travel so not a ton of difference in the product.

If that's not viable then 767>777-200>747>777-300 in Y on United from a personal space perspective. But, based on routing, probably not from a positioning/flight timing perspective.
Where do you put the 787-800/900 in Y in that list? I think there is one running from LAX to LHR.
Old Sep 14, 2017, 5:32 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by trekwars2000
Where do you put the 787-800/900 in Y in that list? I think there is one running from LAX to LHR.
Seat pitch would be about 773, also like 773 newer IFE.

Supposed to come out less tired at the end of the flight due to better pressure inside.

And to repeat post upthread, it's 787-8 or 787-9.

773 / 77W is still 777-300.
Old Sep 14, 2017, 6:18 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
It's a narrower seat at 9 across in a narrower cabin than the 777.

I would take the 763 or 772.
Old Sep 14, 2017, 10:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Don't think it matters...
Originally Posted by sbm12

Thanks for the info and also the metal priority

Originally Posted by danielonn
You could try routing via SFO, SJC or OAK and fly BA or take the non stop flight from PDX or head up to SEA or YVR. I prefer the long flight from the West Coast as I have dinner while watching a movie and then I try to sleep for 5-6 hours on the flight.
BA is something I want to avoid..
Originally Posted by timfountain
I know this is the UA thread, but OP, have you considered the DL direct flight from PDX to LHR?
Yes, seems the direct flight from PDX is quite decent in Y , so will surely check that..
I am open to both UA and DL so checking both options and respective routing..
Old Sep 14, 2017, 11:27 pm

Programs: United 1K 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton HHonors Gold
If you don't have FF loyalty to UA then book the DL non stop (though it's seasonal and less than daily). Why waste time with a connection? And there's also a case for DL/VS via Seattle.

Regarding United ...

For the the most comfortable economy UA I'd go via ORD on the 763. 2-3-2 in economy is the best and while they're still flying the old 3-class ships the seats are really comfortable. And it's overall (including the connection time) the quickest. If flying solo book a center aisle (in the middle three) as that gives you the lowest chance of being disturbed by the middle seat mate (and you may not get one).

The 772s via SFO would be my second choice. 3-3-3 is fine. Same seat choice (center aisle) and if you're Gold or higher go for the exit row (window is best).

London is my family home so I visit 2-3 times per year. I've had 100% GPU success for many years apart from during SMI/J's TOD-fest in 2014. But I fondly remember coach on the PMUA 763.
Old Sep 15, 2017, 12:15 am

Programs: UA Plat, AS MVP, HH Gold, MR Gold
I agree with usbusinesstraveller's rankings. The UA 763 is much more comfortable to me because of the two on the side, and the option of the middle aisle minimizes your interruptions. However, I prioritize space over IFE. The 772 is my second choice (if you can get the front pair in E+, then it is a clear choice).

After that, one of the nonstops is a good bet, DL from PDX, or spend the time driving to SEA instead of connecting and pick up DL, VS or even DY (Norwegian, which starts Saturday to Gatwick).

Depending on your comfort/price tradeoff, I've shifted some of my TATL to *A airlines with real premium economy (and higher RDM earnings than flying the same route in E+ with UA). LH is pretty reasonable; my next trip to LHR is NZ1 through LAX.
Old Sep 15, 2017, 7:45 am

767>777-200>747>787/77W

I'd stack the 787 a hair above the 77W. Personal space is about the same but the 787 offers some of the environmental advantages. Both are still cramped in Y, even if you get E+, due to shoulder space challenges.
Old Sep 15, 2017, 7:39 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

I don't care much about the IFE, I bring my own on my tablet. To me, it's all about seats and seat space. As far as UA's widebodies go, I'd say:

1) 767 if passenger loads are heavy. Pros: only one neighbor unless you grab the seats between the aisles. Cons: usually old, and lower chance of an empty middle seat next to you.
2) 772 if passenger loads are light. Pros: good chance of an empty middle seat, seemingly endless legroom in exit rows.
3) 747 if the two above fail. Pros: Well, it doesn't have the cons of the 787 or 77W. Cons: It's old.
4) 787: Seat width is ridiculous, but at least it's a little quieter than the 77W, and doesn't carry as many people.
5) 77W: Worst plane in the fleet to fly in Y. Ridiculously design and very cramped seating. Has no pros in the back, only cons.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.