Track My Bag - UA's bag tracking app

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13, 2017, 3:05 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott LTPP, Hertz Five Star
Originally Posted by eng3
"Baggage Claim: Check baggage monitors"

I think this could be improved

It would be nice if they simply listed every time it was scanned
You know how it is at airports where United isn't the hub... it's always blank (or almost always) for the baggage carousel in the app.

As far as listing every scan, I would prefer that too.
Old Sep 13, 2017, 5:26 pm

Programs: UA: 1k, Marriott / Bonvoy: Platinum
Track my bag (beta)

I was checking on an NRT -> SFO flight in a few days, and noticed a 'Track my bags (beta)' option on the reservation details screen on mobile.

Anyone use it yet?

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Sep 13, 2017 at 5:59 pm Reason: merged into exisiting thread
Old Sep 13, 2017, 7:37 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
I just tried clicking on it on my iPad, and it crashed the app. Twice.
Old Sep 13, 2017, 8:37 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist (2020:Exp), United Gold
I will be great to see what it looks like if your bag does NOT make it onto your flight. I wonder if they let you specify what you want to do (i.e. baggage delivery) without waiting in line to talk to staff?
Old Sep 13, 2017, 8:47 pm

Originally Posted by rmadisonwi
It's good to see United finally offering some features that United offered years ago.

I remember a trip some time pre-merger (or maybe it was post-merger, but pre-combination of operations) where I was flying to ORD via DEN, and saw kiosks at baggage claim where you could check the status of your bags. Since my inbound flight at DEN arrived really late and I had a very short connection, I wasn't sure if my bag made it. I checked the kiosk, and it said my bag was still in Denver, and gave me an option right there to submit a claim/request delivery. I filled it out without having to see an agent, and was out of the airport before the first bags from my flight even started rolling around the carousel.

Shortly after that, those kiosks disappeared. And now, some years later, the feature has returned, in app form.
Really? That sounds so convenient! Too bad things regressed.

Originally Posted by SS255
That's strange. Just to add another datapoint, I just tried it on mine (iOS11, most recent UA app) and don't seem to be getting any crashing.
Old Sep 14, 2017, 7:00 am

Programs: papa card, UA 1K
Originally Posted by smxflyer
They are also planning to allow you to do things like enter bag delivery information for delayed baggage straight into the app. Not sure what their timeline is for this additional features.
This would be the only real value of this app for me. In the past I've found it easy to just call up and give my tracking number(s).
Old Sep 14, 2017, 7:32 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by SS255
Your bag must be lost. The app panicked and crashed itself to distract you.

Originally Posted by ermintrude
This would be the only real value of this app for me. In the past I've found it easy to just call up and give my tracking number(s).
There is some value if your flight departs and there is no scan for your bag getting loaded. Or if you want to know if your bag came in on an earlier flight. It saves you some time of standing there waiting and you can go straight to the baggage office.

But yes, directly linking into delay/lost baggage claim. Plus letting you take photos of receipts and directly sending in a reimbursement claim would be nice too.
czhang likes this.
Old Sep 14, 2017, 7:52 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium, TAP Gold
FINALLY. Let's hope this takes off for flights ex-Europe.
Old Sep 14, 2017, 8:06 am

Programs: SQ, QF, UA, CO, DL
Originally Posted by rmadisonwi
It's good to see United finally offering some features that United offered years ago.

I remember a trip some time pre-merger (or maybe it was post-merger, but pre-combination of operations) where I was flying to ORD via DEN, and saw kiosks at baggage claim where you could check the status of your bags. Since my inbound flight at DEN arrived really late and I had a very short connection, I wasn't sure if my bag made it. I checked the kiosk, and it said my bag was still in Denver, and gave me an option right there to submit a claim/request delivery. I filled it out without having to see an agent, and was out of the airport before the first bags from my flight even started rolling around the carousel.

Shortly after that, those kiosks disappeared. And now, some years later, the feature has returned, in app form.
That was a great feature. Your post brings back memories of a time when UA actually had something near modern IT functionality and some inkling of customer service. Before stepping back 15 years to adopt an already already outdated CO IT platform. I still have trouble if I have to check luggage in for four consecutive flights, something UA could handle back in the 90s. In retrospect management's decision to make that switch was mind boggling.

App feature worked fine for me yesterday on a long-haul flight into EWR and connecting beyond. The bag claim belt only updated after I had my luggage though. Hopefully UA will continue their IT upgrades....
Old Sep 14, 2017, 8:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by villox
It's amazing how such a small piece of information, that your bag made your flight, will add so much more peace of mind.
The flip side of that is a very agitated passenger aboard the plane if the app tells him his bag didn't make it.

IMHO, the app providing info isn't enough - there needs to be real investment in improving baggage handling.
Old Sep 14, 2017, 8:19 am

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
The flip side of that is a very agitated passenger aboard the plane if the app tells him his bag didn't make it.

IMHO, the app providing info isn't enough - there needs to be real investment in improving baggage handling.
Even then. If I put myself in this situation, it would help me better plan. Maybe I do some shopping at my connecting point if the luggage didn't make my first flight. Or spend some time looking up places to shop at my destination while inflight. Or send a note onto the hotel to see if they can help me out. To say nothing of the fact fact that I don't need to spend an hour at the carousel wondering if my bag will ever come out.

I can't imagine not wanting as complete information as possible.
Old Sep 14, 2017, 8:41 am

Programs: All of them, UA-Plat, 1MM*G
Originally Posted by villox
It's amazing how such a small piece of information, that your bag made your flight, will add so much more peace of mind.
But what are you going to do if you don't get this confirmation? Get off the plane? Further, my guess is that there will be some inaccuracy due to some bags being put on the flight without getting scanned, or being scanned onto the flight but then falling off the loading belt, etc.
Old Sep 14, 2017, 9:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by seenitall
But what are you going to do if you don't get this confirmation? Get off the plane? Further, my guess is that there will be some inaccuracy due to some bags being put on the flight without getting scanned, or being scanned onto the flight but then falling off the loading belt, etc.
The part about "what would I do" struck me - do I then fret for the entirely of the flight instead of fretting for 20 minutes when they don't show up on the belt? Lacking some way to respond "I'm on the plane and my bags aren't" I don't see much benefit. I suppose if the status is real time you could ask at the gate before boarding "my bags don't show as loaded" but they're usually still loading bags while the plane is being boarded.

The part about not being scanned but on the plane is, I think, a non issue. I've been watching out of curiosity whenever I can and is seems to be a 100% scan with handheld reader which I assume gives off an audible beep. It is possible that the bags would have gotten lost before they made it to the plane or have been pulled. (I had two pulled once when UA checked me in as the bags to the wrong pax (I'd done online check in) and then the pax they chose didn't show up and they pulled the bags.)
Old Sep 14, 2017, 12:25 pm

I don't think there's anything someone can realistically do sitting on the plane knowing their bag hasn't been loaded (especially since bags are often still being loaded after boarding is complete), but the real benefit to knowing your bag isn't on your flight is specifically that you don't waste 20+ minutes staring at everybody else's bag coming down the baggage claim chute.

Even without the ability to submit a claim through the app, you would know to go directly to baggage services (where they could look up and confirm the status of your bag) and file a claim, and still be out of the airport a half hour sooner than you otherwise would (maybe even longer, since you could beat the rush of other people whose bags may not have made the flight either).

But I suppose some people like sitting at baggage claim watching the same bags go around and around, waiting in false hope that eventually theirs will appear when in reality it is 1,000 miles away.
Old Sep 14, 2017, 1:28 pm

Some good functionality here.

If your bag arrived on an earlier flight, it will tell you that and advise where to find your bag. If your bag gets rerouted, it will tell you that as well and give specific instructions.
villox likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.