FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   Family Day 2017 Tickets available to TPG readers, but not FT? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1866734-family-day-2017-tickets-available-tpg-readers-but-not-ft.html)

IADFlyer123 Sep 13, 2017 11:51 am

Family Day 2017 Tickets available to TPG readers, but not FT?

Just saw FB posts from TPG - apparently, UA has given 50 tickets to TPG for the upcoming Family Day in October. In previous years, FT was given tickets by UAInsider. But seems like that team ceased to exist and no love to FT this year? TPG's contest is too much work for a ticket :D

villox Sep 13, 2017 11:55 am

It seems that TPG and United have established quite a formal relationship over the past year, ever since the Polaris launch.

ORDnHKG Sep 13, 2017 1:13 pm

Didn‘t JC1120 had done a charity event to benefit the UA retirees as well last year for family day ? Haven‘t seen anything this year neither.

At this point if no news from UA Insider, i am willing to pay just to get in. (If there is a way)

P.S. Yes i agree the one from TPG is too much work to get 1 of 50 chance, not to mentinon TPG has thousands of followers

Kacee Sep 13, 2017 1:25 pm

Originally Posted by villox (Post 28811499)
It seems that TPG and United have established quite a formal relationship over the past year, ever since the Polaris launch.

Marketing posing as journalism.

halls120 Sep 13, 2017 2:19 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee (Post 28811908)
Marketing posing as journalism.

I don't think anyone mistakes TPG as journalism.

Xyzzy Sep 13, 2017 3:58 pm

Originally Posted by ORDnHKG (Post 28811842)
Didn‘t JC1120 had done a charity event to benefit the UA retirees as well last year for family day ? Haven‘t seen anything this year neither.

At this point if no news from UA Insider, i am willing to pay just to get in. (If there is a way)

P.S. Yes i agree the one from TPG is too much work to get 1 of 50 chance, not to mentinon TPG has thousands of followers

JC1120 JEdward and I run Frequent Flyer Giving. This charity Raises money for the United We Care Employee Relief Fund -- a UA charity whose mission is to assist employees in need. In the past we have had tickets to Family Day. I do not believe we have tickets this year. We are, however, running an event in Denver the day before. The FlyerTalk page f:eek:r that event is here.

Kacee Sep 13, 2017 4:12 pm

Originally Posted by halls120 (Post 28812128)
I don't think anyone mistakes TPG as journalism.

I'm sure many undoubtedly mistake the advice as unbiased. Which is what journalism is supposed to be.

RandomBaritone Sep 13, 2017 4:34 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee (Post 28812508)
I'm sure many undoubtedly mistake the advice as unbiased. Which is what journalism is supposed to be.

To be fair, the reviews posted on TPG are not vetted by the airlines before they are posted, and in that sense are truly unbiased journalism. Some of them, especially recently, have been quite scathing. It's not as if United or anyone else is paying for good reviews.

But of course you're right that United has entered into a marketing relationship with TPG, and that blurs the lines somewhat. It's akin to a newspaper selling ad space to a company while it covers them on the front page. Even when the sales and news departments are wholly disconnected from each other, some percentage of the readership refuses to believe it.

luv2ctheworld Sep 13, 2017 4:49 pm

A bit of a disappointment that FT'ers, the very community that gave greater awareness to the airlines and social media, has not been given consideration.

Though to be fair, there's still time, as well as the fact the UA FT community is certainly more dedicated than the average TPG reader whose main focus is on points earning/spending than anything specific to UA. So it would be likely a much larger number of people would wind up trying to attend.

Well, I can only hope that we'll be invited... and if not, I will still have my upcoming SFO-PVG flight in 1K the weekend before to bid my private farewell.

jayzala Sep 13, 2017 7:41 pm

I don't have a twitter :( I wonder if they would even select me if I get a twitter account and don't have any followers.

fumje Sep 13, 2017 7:53 pm

Originally Posted by villox (Post 28811499)

Didn't TPG post a goofy disparaging article about Polaris relatively soon after its roll-out?

fgirard Sep 13, 2017 8:50 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee (Post 28812508)

Rule #1 . If, before every article, there is a disclaimer about credit cards, points, and general schilling, it isn't journalism.

tom911 Sep 13, 2017 9:41 pm

Even on established sites, it’s not always clear who’s in charge. The Points Guy, which is home to Brian Kelly, is one such example. In 2012, Mr. Kelly sold The Points Guy to Bankrate, a publicly traded company that publishes and promotes financial content.
https://skift.com/2014/12/01/the-blu...ravel-writers/

Could Bankrate and UA have some type of relationship?

RandomBaritone Sep 14, 2017 6:31 am

Originally Posted by fumje (Post 28813120)
Didn't TPG post a goofy disparaging article about Polaris relatively soon after its roll-out?

As I mentioned in post 8, TPG's reviews of Polaris have been both good and bad, as you would expect from an organization with a genuine editorial mission. Of course they also exist to make money, hence the tension that has existed in every for-profit content enterprise ever conceived.

But again, some of their UA reviews in 2017 have been critical in the extreme. Here's another:

https://thepointsguy.com/2017/05/uni...tomer-service/

And yet just a few months earlier, they ran the puff piece to end all puff pieces:

https://thepointsguy.com/2017/02/first-polaris-biz-77w/

But even long-established media companies run both types of articles. In other words, it's complicated.

halls120 Sep 14, 2017 6:55 am

Originally Posted by RandomBaritone (Post 28814482)

But even long-established media companies run both types of articles. In other words, it's complicated.

If you're a true journalist, you don't write puff pieces. It isn't complicated at all.