Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Family Day 2017 Tickets available to TPG readers, but not FT?

Family Day 2017 Tickets available to TPG readers, but not FT?

Old Sep 14, 2017, 7:58 am

Programs: UA *G. DL ̶G̶O̶L̶D̶ Member, Hilton/SPG Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by villox
It seems that TPG and United have established quite a formal relationship over the past year, ever since the Polaris launch.
I have noticed a significant lessening of TPGs anti-UA rants of late....
diburning likes this.
Old Sep 14, 2017, 11:13 am

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott/SPG/Hilton Gold, PreCheck + Clear
Originally Posted by halls120
If you're a true journalist, you don't write puff pieces. It isn't complicated at all.
With all due respect, TPG is not the work of one "true journalist" but a team of professional writers assigned articles by an editor-in-chief. Had you looked at the links I provided, you would have noticed that, for example, the puff piece was written by a different person than the critical review that followed it.

I understand that everyone wants review sites to be as objective and dispassionate as Consumer Reports; the problem is everyone also expects online content to be free. Those two aims are rarely compatible. The solution is to provide clear indication when something is a review, a piece of reporting, an interview, etc.

What rankles most is that TPG is going out of their way to provide critical -- at times even hypercritical -- reviews, but some readers refuse to accept it.
Old Sep 14, 2017, 12:59 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Formerly Starbucks Gold
I had to sign up for twitter just to make an account to enter. I'm getting really anxious about some 747 farewell activity. This seems like my best chance to make sure I can be part of something 747 related, since it's still unknown if ICN-SFO will be the last 747 flight (which is already sold out in biz and first).
Old Sep 14, 2017, 2:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, AA Emerald, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt globalist
Originally Posted by BThumme
This seems like my best chance to make sure I can be part of something 747 related, since it's still unknown if ICN-SFO will be the last 747 flight (which is already sold out in biz and first).
Meanwhile the one way fare in Y is very affordable (ICN-SFO-ORD instead of ICN-SFO)
Old Sep 14, 2017, 5:41 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Formerly Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by ORDnHKG
Meanwhile the one way fare in Y is very affordable (ICN-SFO-ORD instead of ICN-SFO)
I think i might do this. I can do DTW-SFO-ICN in biz class for 70k miles, get to experience the UD. two days in ICN then ICN-SFO-ORD (and ORD-DTW separately)
Old Sep 14, 2017, 6:46 pm

Programs: 1MM, UA 1k
Originally Posted by luv2ctheworld
A bit of a disappointment that FT'ers, the very community that gave greater awareness to the airlines and social media, has not been given consideration.

Though to be fair, there's still time, as well as the fact the UA FT community is certainly more dedicated than the average TPG reader whose main focus is on points earning/spending than anything specific to UA. So it would be likely a much larger number of people would wind up trying to attend.

Well, I can only hope that we'll be invited... and if not, I will still have my upcoming SFO-PVG flight in 1K the weekend before to bid my private farewell.
I think you've made a bad assumption re: FT. Any casual visit here in the past 1-3 years by a United exec would see some rather irrational commentary trashing their airline and not a lot of benefit of the doubt (read today's EWR IDB thread as the latest example) in any situation. I'd be reluctant to reward that type of behavior of a community where the threads are typically trending negative.
Old Sep 14, 2017, 8:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Imstevek
I think you've made a bad assumption re: FT. Any casual visit here in the past 1-3 years by a United exec would see some rather irrational commentary trashing their airline and not a lot of benefit of the doubt (read today's EWR IDB thread as the latest example) in any situation. I'd be reluctant to reward that type of behavior of a community where the threads are typically trending negative.
If that's the case then they definitely shouldn't reward TPG readers as the site as well as their readers frequently bash UA on every possible media.
diburning likes this.
Old Sep 16, 2017, 9:56 am

Programs: UA Silver, AA, WN, DL
Originally Posted by Imstevek
Many of us who have been long time active members of the community have had a much more productive relationships in the past. I have had brand ambassadors reach out to me on FT or I have reached out to them for questions or issues.

There have always been irrational commentaries on here; it is the nature of the forums. The popularity of FT has certainly brought in more people, it also has increased the noise/complaints of some things. Overall, it was not a UA exec that would be engaged/reading these (at least not publicly identifying/answering posts).

We used to have much better engagements several years ago. And some other forums still do. For example, Starwood Lurker (iterations of) have participated in FT events and gatherings. This is a community that, in general, respects the brand/company that we do business with.

I suspect the disengagement may stem from a focus on other social media platforms like Twitter. Although that is a more recognized platform, the demographics on those users are not comparable in terms of knowledge, quality, or interest. However, it is an easy platform for UA to broadcast their marketing/announcements.

So given a limited amount of resources, I wouldn't be surprised if they disengaged from here and moved over to somewhere else with a greater audience (albeit different audience).
Old Sep 16, 2017, 1:58 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by RandomBaritone
With all due respect, TPG is not the work of one "true journalist" but a team of professional writers assigned articles by an editor-in-chief. Had you looked at the links I provided, you would have noticed that, for example, the puff piece was written by a different person than the critical review that followed it.
I agree. TPG staff are professional writers, not journalists.
Old Sep 16, 2017, 11:37 pm

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
Well, FT's front page seems to like to post clickbait garbage that will name United when the piece is negative, but won't name other airlines if it's negative and about them. I am willing to bet that this is partially to blame. Frugal Travel Guy (which is also owned by Internet Brands and has been putting out grade A garbage, albeit not as much as TPG), which is where the front page of FT cross-posts their articles from, seems to not have "grown up" from the Dr Dao incident and appears to put United down at every opportunity in an attempt at a shock piece. FT itself (not the community) may have burned the bridges for us.

As far as forum content goes, we have always been (on the most part) pro-consumer (although acting within the airline's rules and within the airline's or the industry's established procedures). I'm sure any United reps that are involved here on FT are involved because of the sheer number of top tier elites that participate here, and not because we're doing them any favors.

Originally Posted by halls120
I agree. TPG staff are professional writers, not journalists.
Even then, the definition of "writer" is quite loose. The excrement that TPG puts out almost makes "writer" a synonym for "shill."

Last edited by diburning; Sep 17, 2017 at 6:12 pm
Old Sep 30, 2017, 8:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Did anyone from here that entered into the drawing from TPG ever heard anything back ? I didnt and was wonder if it is because I am not selected.
Old Sep 30, 2017, 9:21 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
Did anyone from here that entered into the drawing from TPG ever heard anything back ? I didnt and was wonder if it is because I am not selected.
Notifications were sent out last week via twitter Direct Message with rsvp and guest details due yesterday (Friday) 9am pst.

I almost missed out all despite being among the 50 they selected.

Apparently they only sent out winning notices to those who had clicked to 'follow' TPG on twitter. I didn't do that, but had instead lowered twitter security to 'accept DMs from all users'.
Old Sep 30, 2017, 11:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by expert7700
Notifications were sent out last week via twitter Direct Message with rsvp and guest details due yesterday (Friday) 9am pst.

I almost missed out all despite being among the 50 they selected.

Apparently they only sent out winning notices to those who had clicked to 'follow' TPG on twitter. I didn't do that, but had instead lowered twitter security to 'accept DMs from all users'.
I guess i should have asked who can guess me into the event instead earlier.

With no luck getting to the family day, not to mention already bought the ticket way ahead (guess i am going to throw away the $250+ ticket from ORD, really no point to go to SFO right now as this is my only reason to go there), missed the last 744 flight on Nov 7th, really in a bad bad mood right now.

Last edited by ORDnHKG; Sep 30, 2017 at 11:42 pm
Old Sep 30, 2017, 11:30 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
really no point to go to SFO right now as this is my only reason to go there
Doesn't this coincide with Fleet Week and the Blue Angels flying?
Old Sep 30, 2017, 11:37 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
I was really looking forward to going this year. Having always been gone when it happens. Hopefully next year.

Fleet week will still be awesome.

P.S. If anyone has 2 extra tickets please dont hesitate to tell.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.