Wiki Posts
Search

United deleted my award booking

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13, 2017, 12:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
Originally Posted by spin88
I would be curious if others disagree, but I believe that under DOT regulations you have a ticket. You got a confirmation # and points were deducted.

DOT views clicking "submit" on the reservation as completing the purchase, with a confirmation number being the proof.

I think you need to call United, and escalate. They will see that (a) they pulled miles (payment) and (b) issued a confirmation #, and ought to reinstate it. Otherwise, any effort to collect more miles is a prohibited post-sale price increase.
With no ticket issued (which is the case for the OP), the DOT is not likely to look into this. If UA had issued a ticket with a valid ticket number then UA is responsible to get the OP to EDI without charging him more. But that's not the case here.

Originally Posted by Richym99
Hang fire for a while.

United announced a new seasonal IAD to EDB route yesterday for summer 2018. Why not wait and and see what availability gets loaded for that route.
Most "new" flights get loaded with all buckets open. There's a high chance of grabbing saver award tickets on the new flights as soon as they are bookable.

-RM
Old Sep 13, 2017, 5:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
I'd press UA to fix your booking. Their IT malfunction and their metal, this shouldn't be that hard.
coolbeans202 likes this.
Old Sep 13, 2017, 8:28 am

Programs: UA *G. DL ̶G̶O̶L̶D̶ Member, Hilton/SPG Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Boaty1777
So 5 days ago I booked a round tip for me and my father to attend the British Open in Scotland. The 120,000 miles were deducted from my account and the booking showed up in my mileage plus app along with my other bookings and I was able to select seats on the flights. Today when I open my app I find the booking is gone, and when I click on the confirmation number. In the email from the original purchase it says it can find no record. When I look to rebook I find that United has eliminated the saver redemptions from my dates and the price in miles is now doubled. Do I have any recourse beyond rebooking at the higher price and honoring that United does not deflate my res again? Hotels are expensive and without refund policies during these dates.
I agree with other posters that calling UA and speaking to a rep or more likely a supervisor may get this straightened out for the OP. The 2nd front if that doesn't work is to call Chase and explain the situation. I've never heard it in regards to Chase/UA but I have heard of examples with Amex/AC of the MR points being refunded in a similar situation.

Other good options are really for the OP to look at availability to many of the UA european flights such as FRA, DUB, AMS, etc. There are oftentimes extremely inexpensive flights from these to EDI or GLA(a very pleasant 1hr train ride to the Edinburgh city center). As others have mentioned looking at surrounding dates if you have a bit of flexibility is a good idea. Also don't always trust the UA search tool. If you are flying out of a non-hub city search first for flights from UA hubs then search for legs from your location. As a last resort you can possibly buy/book a separate PNR (reservation) for the flight to IAD/EWR/ORD/IAH, while that is obviously less than ideal it could be a last resort to salvage the trip.

Originally Posted by spin88
I would be curious if others disagree, but I believe that under DOT regulations you have a ticket. You got a confirmation # and points were deducted.

DOT views clicking "submit" on the reservation as completing the purchase, with a confirmation number being the proof.

I think you need to call United, and escalate. They will see that (a) they pulled miles (payment) and (b) issued a confirmation #, and ought to reinstate it. Otherwise, any effort to collect more miles is a prohibited post-sale price increase.
Absent the tickets being issued I would suspect that DOT will not regard it as such.
Old Sep 13, 2017, 8:31 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by AceReport
Absent the tickets being issued I would suspect that DOT will not regard it as such.
The DOT prohibition on post-purchase price increases comes into play when the passenger has paid the full amount for the ticket. Here, the miles were deducted from the account, but his credit card was never charged. So it's gray area.

Regardless, the better approach here would seem to be calling UA and asking them to reinstate the award. Supervisor intervention, and some measure of persistence may be required.
AceReport likes this.
Old Sep 13, 2017, 8:52 am

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott/SPG/Hilton Gold, PreCheck + Clear
Originally Posted by Kacee
Regardless, the better approach here would seem to be calling UA and asking them to reinstate the award. Supervisor intervention, and some measure of persistence may be required.
This is the right course of action. UA failed to issue the ticket, but they can open saver award space on their own flights, and in this case they should.

Pretty frustrating after having gotten a confirmation number, seats assigned, the booking added to my profile and the points deducted before United realized they could price gouge that week after my booking was made.
I realize you're frustrated, but that's not what happened; there was simply a systems glitch that caused the ticket not to be issued. As others have pointed out, saver award space will almost certainly return at some point before your trip, but you shouldn't have to search for it. Just be unfailingly courteous when you call. Don't make any unfounded accusations. Frankly their systems aren't smart enough to "price gouge" in the manner you suggested.
Kacee, ajGoes, findark and 2 others like this.
Old Sep 13, 2017, 9:02 am

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
baffled that the OP wrote here and seems to have an oh well, I guess I'm screwed attitude when many on here have said to call United and get it sorted out. You booked it. No question about that if you have a PNR. There is speculation that united didn't have or use correct CC info at time of booking, but every transaction I have ever done with an airline checks all this at time of purchase. Gives an oops your payment is incorrect or has been declined immediately.

United may be busier than usual with hurricane displacements but that is just part of their worldwide market. Nobody is in harm's way now. If anything increased calls just helps foreign call center employees make a bit more money.
Old Sep 13, 2017, 9:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by expert7700
You booked it. No question about that if you have a PNR.
A PNR represents a reservation; nothing more. Despite being called a "confirmation number" in common parlance, the only thing confirmed is that a reservation was created. If that reservation isn't ticketed within the timeframe specified in the ticketing rules, it is cancelled.

I'm not suggesting anything besides "something got screwed up inside UA." The takeaway here is that you should always verify that you have a ticket, and call UA within 24 hours of making your reservation if you do not. This is non-obvious to the vast majority of people, and I'm not trying to place blame on the OP. But, for the benefit of anyone reading this account for a lesson to learn -- that's the lesson. Make sure you have a ticket number -- tickets issued by UA will start with 016 -- and, if there are any partner flights on your reservation, make sure that their systems show the same ticket number as UA.
Old Sep 13, 2017, 9:08 am

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by RandomBaritone
This is the right course of action. UA failed to issue the ticket, but they can open saver award space on their own flights, and in this case they should.

I realize you're frustrated, but that's not what happened; there was simply a systems glitch that caused the ticket not to be issued. ....
OP needs to alert UA to the problem. They have IT experts who are ready to fix the glitch:

RandomBaritone and ajGoes like this.
Old Sep 13, 2017, 9:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
United really should look at the way they communicate to the customer in the ticket purchasing flow. We see this time and again on FT, when someone sees a message from United that their reservation is confirmed, and interprets it to mean that it is final. It is confusing to the average consumer.

Some simple changes to wording would go a long way to avoiding major frustration and disappointment, especially when the reservation involves partner flights.

I am a bit amazed that this hasn't hit a Pareto / VOC report and been addressed already.
Old Sep 13, 2017, 9:21 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeAman 5+ Badge

So 5 days ago I booked a round tip for me and my father to attend the British Open in Scotland. The 120,000 miles were deducted from my account and the booking showed up in my mileage plus app along with my other bookings and I was able to select seats on the flights. Today when I open my app I find the booking is gone, and when I click on the confirmation number. In the email from the original purchase it says it can find no record. When I look to rebook I find that United has eliminated the saver redemptions from my dates and the price in miles is now doubled. Do I have any recourse beyond rebooking at the higher price and honoring that United does not deflate my res again? Hotels are expensive and without refund policies during these dates.
Sorry if it was mentioned but did any of your flights involve Aer Lingus- they have horrible phantom award availability and in fact there's a disclaimer I think that basically says that awards are not confirmed because UA has to hear back from them...

FDW
AceReport likes this.
Old Sep 13, 2017, 9:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by transportprof
OP needs to alert UA to the problem. They have IT experts who are ready to fix the glitch:...
This issue with non-UA metal booking has been around for years.

It could have been phantom partner availability which means OP didn't have a confirmed booking, let alone tickets, to begin with. When you receive a UA PNR, you have confirmed seats on UA metal flights. That's all it means, no more, no less. You need to wait for second email with ticket numbers begin with 016 to confirm partner seats.

Last edited by TerryK; Sep 13, 2017 at 9:59 am
Old Sep 13, 2017, 10:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TerryK
This issue with non-UA metal booking has been around for years.

It could have been phantom partner availability which means OP didn't have a confirmed booking, let alone tickets, to begin with. When you receive a UA PNR, you have confirmed seats on UA metal flights. That's all it means, no more, no less. You need to wait for second email with ticket numbers begin with 016 to confirm partner seats.
OP stated his original flights were on UA metal. A UA PNR does not mean that anything is confirmed on the UA side. You can create a PNR and hold it (farelock, pay-at-airport); some fares allow you 72 hours (or longer, although those are being scaled back) to do the actual ticketing. A PNR represents a reservation; until it's ticketed, nothing is guaranteed.
Old Sep 13, 2017, 10:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jsloan
...A UA PNR does not mean that anything is confirmed on the UA side. You can create a PNR and hold it (farelock, pay-at-airport); some fares allow you 72 hours (or longer, although those are being scaled back) to do the actual ticketing. A PNR represents a reservation; until it's ticketed, nothing is guaranteed.
We use different terminologies for the same thing. PNR shows you have confirmed booking on host, UA in OP's case, metal. You may or may not have a ticket. My TA can hold confirmed bookings for weeks without ticketing. You need 13-digit ticket numbers to confirmed ticketing. No ticket numbers=no payment=no contract.
Old Sep 13, 2017, 2:36 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by AceReport

Other good options are really for the OP to look at availability to many of the UA european flights such as FRA, DUB, AMS, etc. There are oftentimes extremely inexpensive flights from these to EDI or GLA(a very pleasant 1hr train ride to the Edinburgh city center).
Because of the aggressiveness of the European low cost carriers, you really can often find quite cheap cash fares for intra-Europe air travel. Provided it's the transatlantic stuff that's sold out of inventory. If it's a case of that first domestic United Express leg causing everything to reprice, try alternate departure airports or splitting the ticket so the first leg is a cash purchase.
Old Sep 13, 2017, 2:45 pm

Programs: UA *G. DL ̶G̶O̶L̶D̶ Member, Hilton/SPG Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by beachmouse
Because of the aggressiveness of the European low cost carriers, you really can often find quite cheap cash fares for intra-Europe air travel. Provided it's

not

the transatlantic stuff that's sold out of inventory. If it's a case of that first domestic United Express leg causing everything to reprice, try alternate departure airports or splitting the ticket so the first leg is a cash purchase.
I assume that you meant not the TATL. And agreed!

I would personally find doing a triple PNR (Origin-TATL departure point, TATL leg, EU arrival-EDI) a bit much and leaves a lot of exposure for delays/cancellations. I do at times use 2 PNR for 1 trip with a sufficient cushion.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.