DL One vs. UA ps

Old Sep 9, 2017, 7:13 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, DL GM/MM, AA Gold, HH Dia, PC Plat, ALL Sil, MR Gold
From a hard product standpoint, I rate UA 772 > DL 767 > DL 757 = UA 757, assuming you can get window+aisle seats. Considering it's a red-eye, I'd put more emphasis on the hard product, and although the density on UA's 772 is high, the seats are quite comfortable for sleeping (as you know).

However, if you haven't flown DL much, sometimes it's fun to experience and compare another airline.
Old Sep 9, 2017, 7:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by sinoflyer
But I think you've already made up your mind about this regardless.
I have but I haven't . . . finding it hard to break the habit of buying UA.

Originally Posted by Duke787
Unless you are chasing DL miles don't forget you can credit the DL flights to other places especially FlyingBlue or VS.
That's a good suggestion. May open a FlyingBlue account, as they're an AMEX transfer partner and I'd like to try the new AF seat.

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
Presumably, you'd lose the expertise on the UA product on the DL board, so either way, you give up posters' familiarity with one/other.
That's exactly right. I know there are quite a few regulars here who are familiar with both carriers' product. I also know the personalities
Old Sep 9, 2017, 8:15 pm

I'd avoid seeking out Delta 767s - the seats are narrow and short with tired IFE.

The T4 SkyCkub is physically a nice lounge, but is often crowded and dirty, negating any big advantage over a UC.

I think the midtown-airport transit carries a lot of weight. If JFK is preferred for you, go with Delta.
Old Sep 9, 2017, 8:21 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
That's a good suggestion. May open a FlyingBlue account, as they're an AMEX transfer partner and I'd like to try the new AF seat.
Be ready to pay the YQ. :-:
Old Sep 9, 2017, 8:24 pm
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
AF miles are great for one-ways in Asia.
Old Sep 9, 2017, 8:54 pm

Programs: UA 1K since 1998 & 3 Million Miler & ex-GS; DL Diamond 2015-2022; BAEC Silver; Bonvoy LT Titanium
Give DL a try. Your travel experience from beginning to end will be stress-free and easy (and unlike UA!). DL is now my only choice for SFO-NYC. I prefer the 767 mainly for the seat.

The JFK T4 SkyClub is very nice. Do check out the outdoor terrace.

The SFO SkyClub to me is the nicest airline club in the entire USA. Food options seem to have been recently cut back, but there are still great food options ... that differ from what is offered in other SkyClubs.
Old Sep 9, 2017, 11:09 pm

Programs: UA MM | BA Silver
Originally Posted by FlytheTail
However, if you haven't flown DL much, sometimes it's fun to experience and compare another airline.
I like flying widebodies, but the ITPE C seat is the most comfortable. As others have mentioned focus has slipped on the DL meals. I've had strange pairings and poor flavors, but these are more noticeable because the meal standards were higher to start. UNITED's meals are ok but familiar. The wine and alcohol is better (with limited exception) on DL.

Depending on how tall/wide you are the DL 76x J seat can feel limiting. I don't get better sleep vs. the UA/DL 752's. That being said I love the storage space the DL 76x widebody allows. The bedding was better in D1, but UA gets a slight nod since Polaris. Not a fan of the leather D1 seats on the 752. The UA 777HD is fine if you're not in the 4 block, otherwise shudder. Just don't linger to board as J overhead bin space gets tight.

JFK vs EWR....

It's fun to change it up. I fly DL/UA/B6/VX to NYC and wouldn't go back to just one airline anymore.
Old Sep 9, 2017, 11:09 pm

Programs: WN, AA, UA, DL
I'll take a 50%+ hit on RDM without DL status. Staying midtown, so JFK slightly more convenient.
Personally the RDM hit in earnings and redemption would be my deal breaker, but if you want to try something new, go ahead. Might be good to see what DL offers and doesn't offer.

I've flown D1 JFK-SFO three times recently, getting the 767 every time (had one 757 swapped for a 767). Except for aisle access, which isn't a factor in your case, the Vantage 767 seat sucks. Definitely in the running for the worst flat-bed seat. It is a coffin (I'm 5'10" and average build). Tight around the torso. Small footwells. Hard to sleep. Bare-bones furnishings that are now well-worn (like floppy tray tables). Outdated IFE hardware. No privacy. Very little storage space. And it's simply uncomfortable in most positions. DL's cheap leather coverings don't help at all. And you know the 757 seat well, so yeah, there's your DL choices. Sure, it's miles better than Y, but that's not what you're paying for.

Food and service was all over the map. From very good tasting food (although still weaker on aspects like breads and desserts), to just good tasting food, to not good tasting food (and I'm not a picky airline food eater). Put it this way, on two of the three flights I had a much better domestic F meal (much smaller though of course) on the connecting flight to D1. One of the DL flights they ran out of the obvious best choice of beef by row 4 of 9. Disappointing.

Service matched the inconsistency. From maybe the best FAs I've ever had, to good, but not necessarily special, and then down to possibly the worst I've run into (rushed you, didn't do anything extra, and had a very cold attitude).

The DL amenity kit is very nice. DL's bedding is decent too, but far from unbeatable. Their headphones are poor though. Bring your own.

Hope that helps.

Originally Posted by EWR764
UA/DL are closer here than before.
I'd say they're getting farther apart. But I also value food over drinks.

Originally Posted by findark
To be fair, DL has better ops so probably will just run on time
We used to be able to say that DL had better ops. Not anymore. And on an aggregate basis, UA has the better ontime into SFO through the first half of 2017. UA at EWR and DL at JFK are nearly tied. Also of note, JFK has one runway closed again until close to Thanksgiving. That won't help.
Old Sep 9, 2017, 11:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by anc-ord772
Depending on how tall/wide you are the DL 76x J seat can feel limiting. I don't get better sleep vs. the UA/DL 752's.
Just to clarify, UA would be the late night redeye eastbound on the 28J 752; DL would be an early morning (nonredeye) on their 752. The return would be late afternooon/early evening on both carriers.

I keep coming up against the sorry EWR lounge situation as the key factor here.

And yes, there is appeal to trying something new
Old Sep 9, 2017, 11:46 pm

Just to clarify, UA would be the late night redeye eastbound on the 28J 752; DL would be an early morning (nonredeye) on their 752. The return would be late afternooon/early evening on both carriers.

And yes, there is appeal to trying something new
So it's all the same seat. The question is timing. I'd still rather sleep fewer hours in a bed than onboard. Your call. Also UA red eye meal is not better than D1 breakfast.

Couple of other things. I do prefer the UA sundae to the sorbet on DL. The D1 amenity kit (TUMI) is nicer. I don't know how much you care about IFE, but I think UA->DL although DL is more than sufficient. I'm tall so I try for the bulkhead for the wider footstool, but the seat may be a tad shorter than other rows.

JFK vs EWR....

I would say go crazy and try DL out and back. That's gives you two data points to reference in the future. Honestly, you won't miss the miles.
Old Sep 9, 2017, 11:48 pm

Programs: WN, AA, UA, DL
The return would be late afternooon/early evening on both carriers.

From what I've heard, I think that's when the JFK SkyClub is most crowded.
Old Sep 9, 2017, 11:54 pm

Originally Posted by minnyfly
From what I've heard, I think that's when the JFK SkyClub is most crowded.
The sky deck is also fun (when open). It is a far walk from security, but closer to the gate. For such a large lounge the food station footprint is very small. It can often be congested.

And then we have UNITED's EWR lounge offerings...
Old Sep 10, 2017, 12:45 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by anc-ord772
And then we have UNITED's EWR lounge offerings...
Yes, terribly overcrowded before they closed one for Polaris retrofit and now no more showers.
Old Sep 10, 2017, 1:04 am

Programs: UA, Starwood, Priority Club, Hertz, Starbucks Gold Card
. . . finding it hard to break the habit of buying UA.
Given that the fares are identical, and that you will requalify for 1K next year, it is the right scenario to book away from UA. I am excited for you!

After reaching 1MM on UA in 2010, I have now switched most of my flying to AA. Flying a completely new set of airlines and using the different oneworld lounges (as an AA EXP) -- all the while knowing that I can always come back for the *G benefits -- have made flying so much more exciting again. My journey to UA 2MM will involve a longer, more circuitous route.

I understand that we all have different travel needs, but I hope you make the obvious choice.
Old Sep 10, 2017, 1:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Does the departure time mean anything to you? I would do absolutely anything to avoid a redeye of less than 8 hours block time, unless I'm arriving and going to sleep anyway in which case it's not a real redeye (just did HNL-SFO arr 5am and went straight to bed until noon).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.