Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA to convert A35J orders to A359; to order an additional 10 A359s

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA to convert A35J orders to A359; to order an additional 10 A359s

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6, 2017, 9:32 pm

Something I wonder...why do announcements like these even matter? Don't think make orders and change them like 10x before they actually take delivery? Isn't an announcement like this pretty much meaningless because they can and will likely continue to change it before planes actually show up? If we pull up old threads when they announced the original order, wouldn't we say all the calories in that discussion were wasted since it changed today? And then in a few years when this order changes, this thread will have been a complete waste of everyone's calories?
Old Sep 6, 2017, 10:17 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by RaflW

Also noted, the mention of used a/c.
Nothing new. UA picked up used A319s from China Southern and B737s from Copa.
Old Sep 6, 2017, 10:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by rmadisonwi
No, there are none left in that configuration. They have all been converted to, arguably, the worst you can get in Y/E+.
aah, too bad. The updated front cabin of course beats the old Hawaii F, but the horrid tradeoff in the main cabin is harsh indeed.
Old Sep 7, 2017, 1:08 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
Doubt it...if they are going to still add the Polaris seats in the front, I don't see why they wouldn't still go 10 abreast in steerage.
The two aren't inherently connected, but clearly UA has made the business decision to go 10 wide with the next cabin refresh of the 777, which it makes sense to do at the same time as the polaris refit.
Old Sep 7, 2017, 1:21 pm

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
Originally Posted by drewguy
The two aren't inherently connected, but clearly UA has made the business decision to go 10 wide with the next cabin refresh of the 777, which it makes sense to do at the same time as the polaris refit.
And I have made the business decision not to fly in Y on the 77W or the retofited 772, and put up with a seat that is .6" narrower than the seats on a 737, along with having aisles that are 1" narrower so that if one is on the Aisle, one gets bumped by everyone as they go by. Just cost UA a shot at a $7000 sale (which went to CX). And if you read the comments on this and the HD plane, I am not the only one avoiding UA for this reason.
Old Sep 7, 2017, 3:26 pm

Programs: United Gold, Hilton Silver, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by spin88
And I have made the business decision not to fly in Y on the 77W or the retofited 772, and put up with a seat that is .6" narrower than the seats on a 737, along with having aisles that are 1" narrower so that if one is on the Aisle, one gets bumped by everyone as they go by. Just cost UA a shot at a $7000 sale (which went to CX). And if you read the comments on this and the HD plane, I am not the only one avoiding UA for this reason.
I'd be interested to know what kind of coach ticket costs $7K. For that much money, why not fly up front?
Old Sep 7, 2017, 3:42 pm

Originally Posted by BBSHOPSINGER
I'd be interested to know what kind of coach ticket costs $7K. For that much money, why not fly up front?
Maybe he has a large family? Just saying.
Old Sep 7, 2017, 4:18 pm

Originally Posted by trust77
Does this mean GUM will eventually see the A350 as the 772s flowing through here ARE THE OLDEST in the sUA system (ie, ships 2368 through 2481)? I don't see why GUM couldn't accommodate the A350's.
Way to early to know which planes will fly where 5+ years from now with any certainty.
Old Sep 7, 2017, 4:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by sbm12
Way to early to know which planes will fly where 5+ years from now with any certainty.
Since we're talking about United Air Lines (or, as I refer to it as United Continental), they'll still be flying the same 738s and 739s. Unfortunately.

And maybe even being a MOM (customer that is).

David
Old Sep 7, 2017, 4:27 pm

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
Originally Posted by BBSHOPSINGER
4 seats, family trip. If I were on my own/business I would have flown J or PE, but PE was $850/seat (and there was no PE on the inner asian flights), and everyone agreed that we could blow the $3400 in some better way.

My remaining loyalty to United has been around the fact that I could get 4 reasonably comfortable seats in E+ for family trips, and usually at a good fare (good for when we book anyway) and then being *G we got lounge access. However, United (and on this trip EVA) are so to speak "off the list" with 3-4-3 on a 777. No one would be comfortable. I have put up with indifferent service, crappy opps, and the dog food served by United, but no way I am going to be jammed into a seat that is either (a) the size of a 737 seat for 14 hours (the B789), or (b) .6" less than a 737 seat (the 777).

The A350 provides enough width - and I've sat on it - to make it an ok ride in Y. Not quite as nice seat wise as a 777 in 9 across or an A380/A330, but the quit and extra humidity make up for that.

From a personal standpoint, United going with this aircraft vs what else they are planning to offer is literally the difference between me considering flying United and not flying them at all.

p.s. for business travel where a client/court would look askance at a J seat, I have bought very expensive last minute Y tickets (e.g. $5000 SFO-ICN, SFO-CDG, SFO-LHR, SFO-NRT) I then got upgraded by UA, or bought into J. Part of the reason why airlines cater to business travelers is that buying tickets later, they often get charged more....
Old Sep 14, 2017, 5:53 am

Originally Posted by spin88
Same here. When UA goes to 10 wide on the 777 and still won't offer a true PE, I'll be flying elsewhere. I'll probably come back when the A350 is actually on the property, but when UA retires its last 767 that will be the end of my UA long haul flying in coach.
Old Sep 14, 2017, 7:09 am

Originally Posted by DELee
Since we're talking about United Air Lines, they'll still be flying the same 738s and 739s. Unfortunately.
Sure, because there aren't 100+ 737MAX also on order.

AA will still be flying a ton of 738s in 5-10 years, too. It is taking new deliveries this year.
Old Sep 14, 2017, 8:13 am

Programs: *A Gold, BA Silver, Avis President, Hertz President circle
Just hope United directly installs CH9 on these new aircraft.
Old Sep 14, 2017, 8:24 am

Originally Posted by ELAL
Just hope United directly installs CH9 on these new aircraft.
Why would they? it isn't on the 787s.....
Old Sep 14, 2017, 8:43 am

Originally Posted by halls120
Same here. When UA goes to 10 wide on the 777 and still won't offer a true PE, I'll be flying elsewhere. (...) when UA retires its last 767 that will be the end of my UA long haul flying in coach.
Same here. No need to wait for the Airbus, though. It's nothing special. Well, one blogger's "favorite" airplane because it has window shades and a camera on the stabilizer. To each his own. But leave it to UA to make this plane customer unfriendly. They got four years to find out how.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.