Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Irma Travel Waivers -- 5 Sept - 17 Sept all Florida airports (see wiki for others)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 4, 2017, 11:50 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: DELee
travel waivers

Update: 30 Sept 2017 1030 EDT - Two versions of the waiver extending either through April 02, 2018 (currently posted to the Travel Advisories page) - OR - the original revision through September 27, 2018 (which had no reissue end date as well):

Update: 15 Sept 2017 1030 EDT - Free 1st & 2nd bags Ends September 15, 2017:

Update: 12 Sept 2017 1435 EDT - Waiver Extended for Caribbean Islands:

Update: 10 Sept 2017 2215 EDT - Update to Florida Operational Plan:

Update: 09 Sept 2017 1430 EDT - Waiver Extended cover more airports in Southeast USA and Update to Florida Operational Plan:

Update: 08 Sept 2017 1500/1645 EDT - Waiver Reorganized and (Some Airports/Regions) Extended to 30-Sept-2017 and Rebook through 15-Nov-2017:

Update: 07 Sept 2017 1650 EDT - Multi-Checked Bag Fee Waiver + ANU, STT and SXM added:

Update: 07 Sept 2017 1630 EDT - United Operations Plan for Florida (08 Sept 17 - 11 Sept 17):

Update: 07 Sept 2017 1345 EDT - SAV and CHS added:

Update: 06 Sept 2017 1740 EDT - Waiver extended to include All Florida Airports to 17 September 2017.

Update: 05 Sept 2017 1530 EDT - Waiver extended to include HAV, NAS, POP, PUJ, STI, SDQ and to 09 September 2017.

Previous waiver
Irma Puerto travel waiver

Print Wikipost

Irma Travel Waivers -- 5 Sept - 17 Sept all Florida airports (see wiki for others)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6, 2017, 3:20 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus
Updated travel waiver includes Orlando through September 17th...I'm flying in September 13th but the storm should be passed by then. Do you think it would be a problem?
Old Sep 6, 2017, 3:29 pm

Location: Homosassa, FL & Ringwood, NJ -UA-G(Lifetime); SPG-Plat (Lifetime)
I am ticketed EWR>DEN (arr 11:45 AM Friday)>TPA (via IAH in P) departing DEN at 11:30 AM Saturday. The program I was going to in TPA has been cancelled due to Irma.
What are my options?
Cancel and eat the $200 fee
Any way to get UA to allow me to Cancel and either refund the entire ticket ($621) or give a credit without charging me the $200? I have no reason now to book/depart EWR>TPA for $621 by Sept 30 as the wavier states.
I suspect that I just eat the $200 cancellation fee????
Old Sep 6, 2017, 3:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Vulcan
I am ticketed EWR>DEN (arr 11:45 AM Friday)>TPA (via IAH in P) departing DEN at 11:30 AM Saturday. The program I was going to in TPA has been cancelled due to Irma.
What are my options?
Cancel and eat the $200 fee
Any way to get UA to allow me to Cancel and either refund the entire ticket ($621) or give a credit without charging me the $200? I have no reason now to book/depart EWR>TPA for $621 by Sept 30 as the wavier states.
I suspect that I just eat the $200 cancellation fee????
If your flight is cancelled, or delayed significantly, you'll be eligible for a refund. So, don't rush to cancel it.
Old Sep 6, 2017, 3:40 pm

Originally Posted by jsloan
If your flight is cancelled, or delayed significantly, you'll be eligible for a refund. So, don't rush to cancel it.
Good idea, but I suspect the EWR>DEN will not be a problem. But hope springs eternal!
Old Sep 6, 2017, 3:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Good idea, but I suspect the EWR>DEN will not be a problem. But hope springs eternal!
Agreed -- but if DEN-TPA cancels even an hour before your EWR-DEN flight, you should be able to get the entire ticket refunded. If not, you're not in any worse shape than you are now, provided you remember to cancel before departure.
Old Sep 6, 2017, 3:44 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Waiver has just been extended to all Florida airports.
I am in the same boat as you. P-fare out of TPA.
Old Sep 6, 2017, 3:53 pm

So. That was easy. I called the Gold line and explained that I no longer needed to do this trip. I was told by a nice agent in Chicago that she would make a notation in the record that the trip was cancelled because of the Irma wavier and that I had a year to use the funds. I would not be charged a cancellation penalty. She did a lot of typing in my record while on the phone and advised that I would probably need to call in when using the funds and point that agent to the notation she made to make sure I was not charged the cancellation fee.
This is not a huge deal, but if it works, its nice to think UA can occasionally come to a rational/fair resolution. Fingers crossed.
Old Sep 6, 2017, 4:05 pm

Programs: WN, UA, AA
So. That was easy. I called the Gold line and explained that I no longer needed to do this trip. I was told by a nice agent in Chicago that she would make a notation in the record that the trip was cancelled because of the Irma wavier and that I had a year to use the funds. I would not be charged a cancellation penalty. She did a lot of typing in my record while on the phone and advised that I would probably need to call in when using the funds and point that agent to the notation she made to make sure I was not charged the cancellation fee.
This is not a huge deal, but if it works, its nice to think UA can occasionally come to a rational/fair resolution. Fingers crossed.
I just had a different experience as Platinum. Need to cancel return leg PLS-EWR-DEN-ABQ flight on Sept 16 because the outbound leg on Jetblue is already canceled. A nice lady on said the waver doesn't extend to the 16th. I will HUCA...

Last edited by lvovsky; Sep 6, 2017 at 4:15 pm
Old Sep 6, 2017, 4:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Here's the updated waiver for Florida airports as well as extending to 17 Sept 17 (for now) - includes TPA:

Also adding an image of the e-mail sent to travel agents that highlights the newly added Florida airports.

David
Attached Images   
Old Sep 6, 2017, 4:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
The agent is NOT giving me the option to cancel the itin and receive a voucher for future travels. She is only giving me the option as shown on the travel waiver website, which is perfect fine, except this week in September is the only time I can travel to MCO.

Do I have any other options?

The agent then tries to sell me rental cars for my upcoming flights
Old Sep 6, 2017, 4:51 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Nice that they are are waving some change/cancellation fees but they are gouging pax trying to get out of South Florida for sure. My brother is scrambling to book a flight out of Ft. Myer or for that matter any airport out of Southwest FL to CLE (preferably) and is seeing pricing between $900 to $1800 one way of course! Considering he flew down for just under $200 I consider this ripping off those unfortunate people now stuck down there. I get they are in the business to make money and fine charge a REASONABLE fee but that is gouging. If you think I am exaggerating and/or if you see a cheaper price please post it and I will forward it on ASAP but we have been looking at crazy pricing by UA all day. You would think they might even consider increasing flights out of the area (at fair and reasonable rates) up until the weekend to help those evacuating.
I know I guess what else should I expect, it is UA.
Old Sep 6, 2017, 5:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nomad420
Nice that they are are waving some change/cancellation fees but they are gouging pax trying to get out of South Florida for sure. My brother is scrambling to book a flight out of Ft. Myer or for that matter any airport out of Southwest FL to CLE (preferably) and is seeing pricing between $900 to $1800 one way of course! Considering he flew down for just under $200 I consider this ripping off those unfortunate people now stuck down there. I get they are in the business to make money and fine charge a REASONABLE fee but that is gouging. If you think I am exaggerating and/or if you see a cheaper price please post it and I will forward it on ASAP but we have been looking at crazy pricing by UA all day. You would think they might even consider increasing flights out of the area (at fair and reasonable rates) up until the weekend to help those evacuating.
I know I guess what else should I expect, it is UA.
Flights out of RSW appear to be full and/or cancelled. For tomorrow, Google Flights is only showing JetBlue, with 24+ hour connections. They list a $157 flight on AA for Thursday. Friday, the only flight listed is a $1271 AA flight.

If he already has a UA ticket, the fare doesn't matter; if he can find any seat, he can make the change for free. If not, I'm not sure what to tell you; this isn't likely a matter of fares being raised due to gouging; they're simply running out of inventory. Keep in mind, UA's IAH operations are still recovering from Harvey.
Old Sep 6, 2017, 5:16 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by jsloan
Flights out of RSW appear to be full and/or cancelled. For tomorrow, Google Flights is only showing JetBlue, with 24+ hour connections. They list a $157 flight on AA for Thursday. Friday, the only flight listed is a $1271 AA flight.

If he already has a UA ticket, the fare doesn't matter; if he can find any seat, he can make the change for free. If not, I'm not sure what to tell you; this isn't likely a matter of fares being raised due to gouging; they're simply running out of inventory. Keep in mind, UA's IAH operations are still recovering from Harvey.
He bought a one way down so basically has no ticket now. I will pass on the AA info thanks. I understand that AA is actually increasing flights (for now) in and out of south FL. I do understand that they are running out of inventory but really charging nearly $2K for the final few coach seat is a really a bit much. I get it they are in the biz to make money but com'on.
Again, thanks I will contact him now. Poor guy literally just bought his condo down there, hope it turns ok for him.
Old Sep 6, 2017, 5:21 pm

Programs: WN, AA, UA, DL
Flights leaving Florida are overbooked. A reason why the remaining fares are sky high is because you're basically paying for the probability that someone gets voluntarily bumped. And I imagine that the going price to be bumped with a hurricane bearing down on the airport will be very high. It's not gouging.
Old Sep 6, 2017, 5:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nomad420
I do understand that they are running out of inventory but really charging nearly $2K for the final few coach seat is a really a bit much. I get it they are in the biz to make money but com'on.
Again, thanks I will contact him now. Poor guy literally just bought his condo down there, hope it turns ok for him.
FYI -- I did a quick comparison to one-day advance purchase fares from three months ago. Most of them are identical; a few others are $30 more. It doesn't really look like UA raised fares any, although it's possible that they added extra inventory restrictions. Then again, the few flights that I do see are Y2 B2 M2, not Y9 B0 M0, so this may just be a result of people with existing tickets for this weekend calling to get on the earliest available departure.

I hope he's able to get out of there safely.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.