Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

asked to show original credit card, but ticket was purchased using virtual CC number?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

asked to show original credit card, but ticket was purchased using virtual CC number?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2, 2017, 5:45 pm

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Chase specifically stated this unneeded and not used for USA cardholders -- so I have stopped calling.
Interesting I just called them in August 2017 and they thanked me for letting them know and did not mention no need to call them in future. I do travel to different countries so perhaps your travel pattern fits within known parameters.
Old Sep 2, 2017, 6:02 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
Interesting I just called them in August 2017 and they thanked me for letting them know and did not mention no need to call them in future. I do travel to different countries so perhaps your travel pattern fits within known parameters.
Appears it is back on -- checked the Chase site for where last year it said don't bother and Chase now has an online form for notification.
Guess they decided they wanted the info.

BTW, my travel is very irregular (done 30+ countries) and only once? in past decade have I been flag while traveling. However, my card is comprised at least once a year and it wasn't me. Got the drill down on getting new cards
Old Sep 2, 2017, 7:05 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
I should say I always use the online form. However I don't know if it really makes any difference. I suppose I'd have to try not notifying. The past trip my card got flagged twice within about two hours. This might have been special, I tried buying a train ticket in Germany using an app and it failed. Got an email asking to confirm and that apparently cleared it but the app still wouldnt work. I went to a machine and tried buying a ticket but it asked for a PIN which I dont have so I cancelled. That triggered a second alert that required me to call.

But yes, nearly every trip, my ATM card trips an alert.

As far as actual fraud, I've only had that happen while in the US.
Old Sep 3, 2017, 8:22 am
RNE

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Appears it is back on...
Guess they decided they wanted the info.
Guess again. Chase still does not want—nor need—these notifications. The form is a placebo to alleviate the following problems.

• Phone calls wasted reps' time.
  • Informing cardholders (even very nicely) that such calls were unnecessary was off-putting to them.
  • Maintaining a "not necessary" stance wrongly suggested to cardholders that Chase wasn't robust about credit card fraud.

The solution to these problems? Create a form to placate cardholders who felt better about providing notifications. And they'll continue to take calls, of course. But Chase doesn't care.
Old Sep 3, 2017, 10:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MrWilliamston
does it never happen with US-based credit cards on United flights?
Never had it happen to me, and if it did for business travel I'd never be able to show the card. Our travel office has their own credit cards that they use for all airline tickets unless you specifically request otherwise. I'm sure many other companies with lots of people who travel have similar arrangements. Everything else in my travel goes on my own cards or out of my pocket for reimbursement, but I've never had a ticket for work on my own card.
Old Sep 3, 2017, 11:40 am
tht

Programs: UA 1K 1.01 MM
Don't recall ever being asked on UA, SQ and other Asian airlines I have flown do this, brought a 1 way BLR-SIN and when I checked in a couple of weeks ago they wanted to see the credit card I used. Do you have a US billing address?
Old Sep 3, 2017, 11:49 pm

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Originally Posted by RNE
Guess again. Chase still does not want—nor need—these notifications. The form is a placebo to alleviate the following problems.
  • Phone calls wasted reps' time.
  • Informing cardholders (even very nicely) that such calls were unnecessary was off-putting to them.
  • Maintaining a "not necessary" stance wrongly suggested to cardholders that Chase wasn't robust about credit card fraud.

The solution to these problems? Create a form to placate cardholders who felt better about providing notifications. And they'll continue to take calls, of course. But Chase doesn't care.
Well it is one of the automated options when calling in, and for my trip in March (2017) they had put a notice on my account due to fraudulent activity but texted the landlines so I was not aware and my card continued to work as known local activity. They then cancelled all US activity but allowed international activity while I was traveling as no way to get me a new card before I left. Great service from Chase.

On the other hand BA says no need to notify them, and yet each time I do not my ATM card is rejected and I am calling reverse charge to the number on the back of the card.

I will continue to notify Chase and BA each time about my upcoming travel plans.
Old Sep 4, 2017, 6:51 am
RNE

Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
Well it is one of the automated options when calling in, and for my trip in March (2017) they had put a notice on my account due to fraudulent activity but texted the landlines so I was not aware and my card continued to work as known local activity. They then cancelled all US activity but allowed international activity while I was traveling as no way to get me a new card before I left. Great service from Chase.

On the other hand BA says no need to notify them, and yet each time I do not my ATM card is rejected and I am calling reverse charge to the number on the back of the card.

I will continue to notify Chase and BA each time about my upcoming travel plans.
Knock yourself out.

Getting this thread back on track... Anybody know if any airline's contract of carriage states anything about their being able to demand to see the credit card used for ticket purchase?

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Sep 4, 2017 at 11:20 am Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Sep 5, 2017, 7:41 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by RNE
Knock yourself out.

Getting this thread back on track... Anybody know if any airline's contract of carriage states anything about their being able to demand to see the credit card used for ticket purchase?
OR, are there any reports of someone showing up to the airport with no credit card and being denied boarding.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.