Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

asked to show original credit card, but ticket was purchased using virtual CC number?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

asked to show original credit card, but ticket was purchased using virtual CC number?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2, 2017, 7:28 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by RNE
How does one do that when standing at the airport counter with two screaming kids and a flight leaving in an hour?
Please read the OP. He has asked what he can do to avoid this. The answer is to deal with UA in advance, not at the counter with "screaming kids."

I still suggest that there must have been something odd about the purchase of the first domestic ticket by OP. Not wrong or bad, just odd. Perhaps he had to reenter the CC information multiple times, entered the wrong CVV more than once or some other odd situation which tripped the fraud alert.

Or it was a glitch and will never repeat itself.
Old Sep 2, 2017, 7:44 am
RNE

Originally Posted by HWGeeks
I assume you don't fly.

But I constantly am restricted from checking in online when I buy any fare 450 or higher to SDQ because they want to verify the card at the airport. Although they say you can visit the airport before the flight to verify the card.
So, nothing happens. Got it.

Originally Posted by Often1
The answer is to deal with UA in advance, not at the counter with "screaming kids."
No guarantee you'll know in advance. Could be asked at the counter.

Originally Posted by Open Jaw
I have been asked to show the CC I used to pay for flights. It has happened on flights I have purchased for other people like friends of family, and for flights in which I am not a pax.
How have you been asked to show your credit card when you're not even at the airport?

I'm still waiting to know what happens if one is asked to produce the purchase credit card but can't.

RNE, having the patience of Job.

Last edited by l etoile; Sep 2, 2017 at 8:24 am Reason: Merge
Old Sep 2, 2017, 8:23 am

Programs: Delta Plat
Originally Posted by RNE
Seems like Delta will deny boarding

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...edit-card.html
Old Sep 2, 2017, 8:45 am
RNE

Seems like Delta will deny boarding

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...edit-card.html
Doesn't seem like that to me...
...the manager said she would refund the ticket to the original credit card and I could purchase a new ticket at the same fare class.
Just whip out another credit card and voilŕ.
Old Sep 2, 2017, 9:52 am

Programs: Delta Plat
Originally Posted by RNE
Doesn't seem like that to me...

Just whip out another credit card and voilŕ.
If you have a card on you that can cover the charge if you don't you're SOL
Old Sep 2, 2017, 10:52 am

Programs: Skymiles, MPL Chase Premier
I've had to verify the card working both UA/DL and until it verified, I couldn't process the check-in.

It's a very rare situation, however.
Old Sep 2, 2017, 10:53 am

Programs: AA, AS, AV, B6, DL, F9, WN
Originally Posted by RNE

No guarantee you'll know in advance. Could be asked at the counter.

How have you been asked to show your credit card when you're not even at the airport?

I'm still waiting to know what happens if one is asked to produce the purchase credit card but can't.

RNE, having the patience of Job.
Most of the time when I purchase tickets for someone else, I drive them to the airport so that I will be present if any problem arises. If the trip is on short notice and/or I can't be present at the airport, I will call the airline before making the reservation just to be clear on what might happen at the airport at check-in.
Old Sep 2, 2017, 10:56 am

Delta requires you show the card used to purchase on some flights
Pretty much every flight I take from the US to the Dominican I have to show the CC (usually on DL)

Never been asked going anywhere else.
Old Sep 2, 2017, 11:09 am

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
As someone whose CC seems to get compromised on a regular basis (UA MP card), and in fairness it is the main CC I use, this scenario is my greatest fear. I find hotels often want to verify the CC more than airlines. I often book months in advance to lock in great rates and the reservation does state I may/will need to show my CC at check-in although most of the time they do not ask.

During my last stay at a LHR hotel (August 2017) they asked for the CC which I gave them and explained the numbers differed as my CC needed to be replaced as it had been stolen. They just smiled and handed it back to me. I suspect because the name on the reservation and the CC were the same.

Once my son turned 18 I was able to get him issued a CC on my account since he is studying abroad so the CC number is the same for any reservations that I make on his behalf.

FWIW - I think the Chase MP CC fraud system is very good. Someone tried to buy tickets on EY and Chase contacted me as they declined the transaction which impressed me as I purchase a number of airline tickets, but they considered it outside my normal buying pattern.

So if you do not have the CC, explain the situation if, and when, asked.
Old Sep 2, 2017, 11:44 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
I don't know if UA would do this but this happened to my father on BA once ORD-LHR. They asked for the CC on checkin but they didn't have it. The agent just asked for another card and said it would get charged to another card. My dad complained that he was losing reward points because of this. The checkin agent then upgraded him and my mother to business class and told them to goto the lounge and get some food because there was no meal on the plane (which isn't true). They went to the lounge and filled up. My dad called me up complaining about losing the reward points. I tried to explain that the upgrade was a much better deal.

Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
FWIW - I think the Chase MP CC fraud system is very good. Someone tried to buy tickets on EY and Chase contacted me as they declined the transaction which impressed me as I purchase a number of airline tickets, but they considered it outside my normal buying pattern.
I would disagree somewhat. I get alot of false alarms (not just with Chase). Nearly every time I travel internationally, I have to call in to fix a fraud alert eventhough I've informed them of my travel. Sometimes I can do it online, sometimes I cant. I've complained sometimes but they say the fraud alert comes from Visa so they have no control over it. This can be very difficult depending on my phone situation. Sometimes its over a less than $1 purchase. Sometimes its because I mis-entered my PIN once. I think they are far more concerned about protecting their money than my inconvenience. I'm forced to carry multiple CC and ATM cards on my person, thus increasing the loss if I get robbed.

Last edited by eng3; Sep 2, 2017 at 11:50 am
Old Sep 2, 2017, 11:48 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by kale73
So, suppose dad buys a ticket for child studying abroad to come home for a special occasion. What is the student supposed to do when checking in? Dad's got the credit card.
I don't know details of likely fraud algorithms but suspect that a flight destination associated with the rough geographic area of where the card's billing address is located is seen as lower risk because of that kind of common use than if the destination is not associated with the billing address.
Old Sep 2, 2017, 12:44 pm

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Originally Posted by eng3
I would disagree somewhat. I get alot of false alarms (not just with Chase). Nearly every time I travel internationally, I have to call in to fix a fraud alert eventhough I've informed them of my travel. Sometimes I can do it online, sometimes I cant. I've complained sometimes but they say the fraud alert comes from Visa so they have no control over it. This can be very difficult depending on my phone situation. Sometimes its over a less than $1 purchase. Sometimes its because I mis-entered my PIN once. I think they are far more concerned about protecting their money than my inconvenience. I'm forced to carry multiple CC and ATM cards on my person, thus increasing the loss if I get robbed.
I call Chase to inform them of my plans and have never had a charge rejected when traveling (although I do travel internationally many times a year so perhaps this is included in the algorithms that they use), and I always carry one other CC with me.

My larger issue is my ATM card with BA - I call to notify them of travel but it often makes little difference and I cannot access cash until I call them collect and then they release the hold. I always go to the ATM in the airport to get some local currency and I do not have a second ATM card so it is far more painful. (I do not like to use the CC for cash advances due to the interest rate but do know this is my backup plan.)

Obviously your experience differs to mine.
Old Sep 2, 2017, 12:50 pm

Programs: AA, AS, AV, B6, DL, F9, WN
Originally Posted by kale73
So, suppose dad buys a ticket for child studying abroad to come home for a special occasion. What is the student supposed to do when checking in? Dad's got the credit card.

I always call my CC company before making any large purchase. I would do the same before purchasing a tix for someone overseas so that the CC company doesn't suspect fraud and stop the transaction or notify the airline. Then I would- as stated in an earlier post- call the airline to check on any possible problems at check-in. After all that work, I would purchase the ticket.

I trust no one and verify everything when it comes to money and travel. Errors or misinformation are very costly.
Old Sep 2, 2017, 2:12 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
I call Chase to inform them of my plans and have never had a charge rejected when traveling (although I do travel internationally many times a year so perhaps this is included in the algorithms that they use), and I always carry one other CC with me.

My larger issue is my ATM card with BA - I call to notify them of travel but it often makes little difference and I cannot access cash until I call them collect and then they release the hold. I always go to the ATM in the airport to get some local currency and I do not have a second ATM card so it is far more painful. (I do not like to use the CC for cash advances due to the interest rate but do know this is my backup plan.)

Obviously your experience differs to mine.
I only travel internationally about 3 times a year so maybe that is why. I have a feeling the notification has zero influence on the fraud alert.
I agree, I usually have more issues with my ATM card. I have more than one but only one refunds all my fees.

My main issue is how difficult it is to clear the alert. Rarely, I can do it online. But usually I have to make a call. Typically my phone is data-only when I'm overseas and can't make intl calls. I have to use something like skype or hangouts to make a call and have to have a good connection. They should allow me to just login to my account and click a button.

Last edited by eng3; Sep 2, 2017 at 2:25 pm
Old Sep 2, 2017, 4:29 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
I call Chase to inform them of my plans .....
Chase specifically stated this unneeded and not used for USA cardholders -- so I have stopped calling.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.