Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Travel Waiver: Gulf Coast Tropical Weather (25 Aug - 12 Sept, 2017) - Affects IAH

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 24, 2017, 1:59 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: DELee
Update: 06 Sept 2017 - Latest waiver posting

Previous waivers:

Update: 30 Aug 2017
Hurricane Harvey continues to affect flights to and from Texas and the Gulf Coast

United flights to and from Texas and the Gulf Coast continue to be affected by Hurricane Harvey. There are now a limited number of flights operating between Houston and other major U.S. airports, but many flights to and from Houston continue to be canceled.

Please check your flight status before you go to the airport, and sign up to receive flight status messages in the event of changes. Also note that road conditions around the airport continue to be poor, so travelers should carefully plan their travel to and from the airport.

If you have an upcoming United flight that includes travel through Houston, we recommend postponing your travel until conditions improve. The Houston area is extremely taxed and may not have the resources to offer hotel and restaurant services to Houston visitors.

Travelers with booked flights to, from or through the Texas and Gulf Coast area can use our travel waiver to change their flight. Please note that we are experiencing a high volume of calls due to the severity of the situation, so we recommend using united.com or the United app.
Update (08/29/17 15:50 CDT):
Booking waiver now extended through 12 September and changes covered through November 15th

FAA Advisory for IAH

Due to WEATHER/ HURRICANE HARVEY, the George Bush Intercontinental/Houston Airport (IAH) was closed as of Aug 28 at 09:38 AM CDT. The date/time when the airport is expected to reopen is Aug 30 at 04:00 PM CDT.
Hurricane Harvey is affecting flights to and from Texas and the Gulf Coast

Due to Hurricane Harvey, United flights to and from Houston Intercontinental are canceled until at least noon on Thursday, August 31, and additional flights to and from Texas and the Gulf Coast may be affected. If you have planned travel, please see our travel waiver below to change your flight. Please note that we are experiencing a high volume of calls, so we recommend using united.com or the United app.
AIRPORT STATUS INFORMATION
provided by the FAA's Air Traffic Control System Command Center
George Bush Intercontinental/Houston Airport (IAH) Real-time Status
Due to WEATHER/ HURRICANE HARVEY, the George Bush Intercontinental/Houston Airport (IAH) was closed as of Aug 27 at 10:24 AM CDT. The date/time when the airport is expected to reopen is Aug 31 at 12:00 PM CDT.
Update (08/28/17 11:15 am EDT): Waiver extended through 05 September and rebooking and changes now covered through 20 September

Update 6PM (Central Time) 27 Aug 2017
IAH closure extend to 7PM 28 August

Due to Hurricane Harvey, United flights to and from Houston Intercontinental are canceled until 7 p.m. on Monday, August 28, and additional flights to and from Texas and the Gulf Coast may be affected. If you have planned travel, please see our travel waiver below to change your flight. Please note that we are experiencing a high volume of calls, so we recommend using united.com or the United app if possible.

Update (08/27/17 12:45 pm EDT): Waiver extended through 31 August and rebooking and changes now covered through 13 September

Posted 27 August 2017 morning

Due to Hurricane Harvey, United flights to and from Houston Intercontinental are canceled until noon on Monday, August 28, and additional flights to and from Texas and the Gulf Coast may be affected. If you have planned travel, please see our travel waiver below to change your flight. Please note that we are experiencing a high volume of calls, so we recommend using united.com or the United app if possible.

Updated UA travel waiver for Harvey ( including IAH) 26 Aug 2017 = rebooking extend to 11 Sept

Updated UA travel waiver for Harvey ( including IAH) as of noon (Central Time) 25 Aug 2017

UA travel waiver (including IAH) for Harvey as 3PM (Central Time) 24 Aug 2017

Print Wikipost

Travel Waiver: Gulf Coast Tropical Weather (25 Aug - 12 Sept, 2017) - Affects IAH

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23, 2017, 12:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]

Looks like United just issued a weather waiver for folks traveling to/from/through IAH/AUS/SAT and a few others this weekend and early next week. https://www.united.com/CMS/en-US/tra...eptionPolicies
Old Aug 23, 2017, 8:30 pm

Programs: UA Gold
Are change and fees and fare differences supposed to be automatically waived when trying to rebook online via "Change flight" under "My Trips"? They all show fare difference and a change fee of $200 when I do the flight search. Might be because it's an N fare but I have an itinerary arriving at IAH on 8/25 and leaving 8/27 that I'd really like to change/cancel.
Old Aug 23, 2017, 8:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by raycosm
Are change and fees and fare differences supposed to be automatically waived when trying to rebook online via "Change flight" under "My Trips"? They all show fare difference and a change fee of $200 when I do the flight search. Might be because it's an N fare but I have an itinerary arriving at IAH on 8/25 and leaving 8/27 that I'd really like to change/cancel.
The waiver doesn't currently allow for cancellation, but rather rebooking before 8/30. Are your new travel dates still before 8/30? And are you still using the same origin and destination cities? (In order to get a refund, you'd need to wait until they amend the terms or until / unless your flight is cancelled or greatly delayed).

I'm actually surprised to see that the $200 change fee is, in fact, listed in BE fares, since they can't be changed. I can't imagine any scenario in which that would come up.

Having said that, the online tool is notoriously defective when it comes to making changes, especially prior to the day of travel. If it's not working, you should call and ask for assistance, citing the waiver. Also, if you get a chance, please report back afterwards on the Basic Economy thread as to whether or not you were able to get the change made to your satisfaction.

Good luck!
Old Aug 23, 2017, 11:01 pm

Programs: United GS, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Great....

Of course the first time I gamble I end up losing.

I live in SAT and am currently in Budapest - leaving Saturday morning. When booking my tickets if I booked out of SAT thru IAH round trip it was $2k more in business. However if I booked IAH-BUD r/t and then separately SAT-IAH r/t it was $2k less. So I did that on two different confirmation numbers.

So now I likely can't get a reroute through IAD or EWR direct to SAT bypassing the IAH disaster. Granted SAT may be underwater as well - but IAH will likely be 100x worse.
Old Aug 24, 2017, 12:39 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA1K B6 Mosaic 1, Amtrak Select, Marriott Plat , AMEX Plat (noted for club access reference)
Flying into IAH on 8/28. Not worried yet since who knows where the storm is going to be or go however if it should stall out over Texas I could be in for a wet ride and always like to think ahead. I'm connecting at IAH to the one and only flight of the day to PVR. Since I'm technically not going to IAH but rather going thru IAH will I still qualify for the free change if the weather warrants it ?
Old Aug 24, 2017, 12:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by theboss7593
Flying into IAH on 8/28. Not worried yet since who knows where the storm is going to be or go however if it should stall out over Texas I could be in for a wet ride and always like to think ahead. I'm connecting at IAH to the one and only flight of the day to PVR. Since I'm technically not going to IAH but rather going thru IAH will I still qualify for the free change if the weather warrants it ?
If they extend the weather waiver to 8/28, you will be eligible for a change due to transiting through an affected city. And, once your flight is actually impacted by weather, you can generally make changes regardless of a waiver. The weather waivers just allow people to be proactive.

Originally Posted by TexasAggie02

I live in SAT and am currently in Budapest - leaving Saturday morning. When booking my tickets if I booked out of SAT thru IAH round trip it was $2k more in business. However if I booked IAH-BUD r/t and then separately SAT-IAH r/t it was $2k less. So I did that on two different confirmation numbers.

So now I likely can't get a reroute through IAD or EWR direct to SAT bypassing the IAH disaster. Granted SAT may be underwater as well - but IAH will likely be 100x worse.
SAT is a reasonable alternate airport for IAH. You may actually gamble and win; while you probably can't proactively make changes, if weather issues actually affect your flight to IAH, you can probably get an agent to route you to SAT on your original ticket. Then, if weather issues also affect your second ticket, you can ask for a refund. ^ Of course, that's a lot of ifs... and there's no guarantee they'll be business class space on your alternative flights

Last edited by jsloan; Aug 24, 2017 at 12:51 am Reason: self-merge
Old Aug 24, 2017, 12:56 am

Programs: United 1K, EL AL Silver
Originally Posted by TexasAggie02

I think if you call and give them both confirmation # they will acmodate you and reroute thru another airport.
Old Aug 24, 2017, 12:58 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA1K B6 Mosaic 1, Amtrak Select, Marriott Plat , AMEX Plat (noted for club access reference)
Originally Posted by jsloan
If they extend the weather waiver to 8/28, you will be eligible for a change due to transiting through an affected city. And, once your flight is actually impacted by weather, you can generally make changes regardless of a waiver. The weather waivers just allow people to be proactive.

SAT is a reasonable alternate airport for IAH. You may actually gamble and win; while you probably can't proactively make changes, if weather issues actually affect your flight to IAH, you can probably get an agent to route you to SAT on your original ticket. Then, if weather issues also affect your second ticket, you can ask for a refund. ^ Of course, that's a lot of ifs... and there's no guarantee they'll be business class space on your alternative flights
Well I just checked and United only operates ONE other flight into PVR on MON and it's from SFO. I would have to be on a 550am out of IAD to SFO to make it happen. Unless any other suggestions? My ticket is in J.
Old Aug 24, 2017, 1:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by theboss7593
Well I just checked and United only operates ONE other flight into PVR on MON and it's from SFO. I would have to be on a 550am out of IAD to SFO to make it happen. Unless any other suggestions? My ticket is in J.
Cross your fingers and hope the storm misses?

SFO-PVR is full in J. If your flight has issues, your best bet may be to ask to be re-accommodated on another carrier. They won't want to do this for weather, but the Star Alliance rebooking guidelines instruct them to do so for First / Business class passengers as well as *G. (They may still refuse your request, even faced with the alliance rule that says that they're supposed to do it, but it's worth a shot).

They definitely won't proactively put you on another carrier before the storm hits. However, if your flight gets cancelled, I'd look for a flight with available business class space and then see if you can be put onto it. If UA cancels your flight ahead of time, you'll have plenty of options. If not... I don't see much beyond a two-stop itinerary on Delta and Aeromexico that leaves out of Dulles at 9:45 AM.

Good luck!
Old Aug 24, 2017, 1:40 am

Originally Posted by jsloan
Cross your fingers and hope the storm misses?

SFO-PVR is full in J. If your flight has issues, your best bet may be to ask to be re-accommodated on another carrier. They won't want to do this for weather, but the Star Alliance rebooking guidelines instruct them to do so for First / Business class passengers as well as *G. (They may still refuse your request, even faced with the alliance rule that says that they're supposed to do it, but it's worth a shot).

They definitely won't proactively put you on another carrier before the storm hits. However, if your flight gets cancelled, I'd look for a flight with available business class space and then see if you can be put onto it. If UA cancels your flight ahead of time, you'll have plenty of options. If not... I don't see much beyond a two-stop itinerary on Delta and Aeromexico that leaves out of Dulles at 9:45 AM.

Good luck!
Thanks for the insight! One other possible idea I came up with was asking for a refund (it's a multi-city trip IAD-IAH-PVR; CUN-ORD-IAD) on the going to Mexico part which is about $1,000 for 2 of us and using that to book AeroMexico IAD-MEX-PVR (which is $302 for 2 in Coach) which leaves at 1:35am (7 hours prior to my UA flight) and then using the remaining $$ to upgrade. Can't imagine the upgrade being more than $300 per person (since AM uses a bidding system internally and also honors optiontown and from what I read optiontown sells J for $100 a head).

The question is due to IRRPOS would UA give a partial refund (since I would still like to use the CUN-ORD-IAD piece)....

This of course is all in theory. 99% chance all goes smooth. Just like to prepare for the worst.

Last edited by theboss7593; Aug 24, 2017 at 1:43 am Reason: spelling
Old Aug 24, 2017, 6:50 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by solma
I think if you call and give them both confirmation # they will acmodate you and reroute thru another airport.
agree. I also think you could just call right now and cancel the IAH-SAT flight for a full refund. Then be reaccomodated to SAT on the other ticket. This actually works out better for you. Gigem!
Old Aug 24, 2017, 7:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by raycosm
My two $0 options are via ... IAH. The flight before and the flight after mine. The rest incur a fare/change fee...and those are two-stoppers through IAH, too.
Old Aug 24, 2017, 8:16 am

Programs: United GS, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Voice of Reason

https://spacecityweather.com/likely-...-a-wary-texas/

Good summary from a respected Houston area blog.

This will not have immediate drastic effects for Houston, and while intermittent heavy storms and gusty winds are possible through Saturday, conditions for travel seem OK at this time.

By Sunday, running through about Wednesday, the greater Houston region will be at risk for very heavy rainfall and potentially widespread flooding, and coastal regions may be most at risk. If you are traveling later on Sunday or early next week, your flights may be delayed or canceled.
Old Aug 24, 2017, 9:45 am

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM; IHG Spire; HH Diamond; Marriott Gold (UA); National Executive Elite
Harvey just got predicted to be upgraded to a Cat 3, targeting Corpus Christi - when would United begin to remove planes from IAH?
Old Aug 24, 2017, 9:45 am

Cat 3 Now expected

Per 11AM advisory CAT 3 potentially.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.