Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Travel Waiver: Gulf Coast Tropical Weather (25 Aug - 12 Sept, 2017) - Affects IAH

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 24, 2017, 1:59 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: DELee
Update: 06 Sept 2017 - Latest waiver posting

Previous waivers:

Update: 30 Aug 2017
Hurricane Harvey continues to affect flights to and from Texas and the Gulf Coast

United flights to and from Texas and the Gulf Coast continue to be affected by Hurricane Harvey. There are now a limited number of flights operating between Houston and other major U.S. airports, but many flights to and from Houston continue to be canceled.

Please check your flight status before you go to the airport, and sign up to receive flight status messages in the event of changes. Also note that road conditions around the airport continue to be poor, so travelers should carefully plan their travel to and from the airport.

If you have an upcoming United flight that includes travel through Houston, we recommend postponing your travel until conditions improve. The Houston area is extremely taxed and may not have the resources to offer hotel and restaurant services to Houston visitors.

Travelers with booked flights to, from or through the Texas and Gulf Coast area can use our travel waiver to change their flight. Please note that we are experiencing a high volume of calls due to the severity of the situation, so we recommend using united.com or the United app.
Update (08/29/17 15:50 CDT):
Booking waiver now extended through 12 September and changes covered through November 15th

FAA Advisory for IAH

Due to WEATHER/ HURRICANE HARVEY, the George Bush Intercontinental/Houston Airport (IAH) was closed as of Aug 28 at 09:38 AM CDT. The date/time when the airport is expected to reopen is Aug 30 at 04:00 PM CDT.
Hurricane Harvey is affecting flights to and from Texas and the Gulf Coast

Due to Hurricane Harvey, United flights to and from Houston Intercontinental are canceled until at least noon on Thursday, August 31, and additional flights to and from Texas and the Gulf Coast may be affected. If you have planned travel, please see our travel waiver below to change your flight. Please note that we are experiencing a high volume of calls, so we recommend using united.com or the United app.
AIRPORT STATUS INFORMATION
provided by the FAA's Air Traffic Control System Command Center
George Bush Intercontinental/Houston Airport (IAH) Real-time Status
Due to WEATHER/ HURRICANE HARVEY, the George Bush Intercontinental/Houston Airport (IAH) was closed as of Aug 27 at 10:24 AM CDT. The date/time when the airport is expected to reopen is Aug 31 at 12:00 PM CDT.
Update (08/28/17 11:15 am EDT): Waiver extended through 05 September and rebooking and changes now covered through 20 September

Update 6PM (Central Time) 27 Aug 2017
IAH closure extend to 7PM 28 August

Due to Hurricane Harvey, United flights to and from Houston Intercontinental are canceled until 7 p.m. on Monday, August 28, and additional flights to and from Texas and the Gulf Coast may be affected. If you have planned travel, please see our travel waiver below to change your flight. Please note that we are experiencing a high volume of calls, so we recommend using united.com or the United app if possible.

Update (08/27/17 12:45 pm EDT): Waiver extended through 31 August and rebooking and changes now covered through 13 September

Posted 27 August 2017 morning

Due to Hurricane Harvey, United flights to and from Houston Intercontinental are canceled until noon on Monday, August 28, and additional flights to and from Texas and the Gulf Coast may be affected. If you have planned travel, please see our travel waiver below to change your flight. Please note that we are experiencing a high volume of calls, so we recommend using united.com or the United app if possible.

Updated UA travel waiver for Harvey ( including IAH) 26 Aug 2017 = rebooking extend to 11 Sept

Updated UA travel waiver for Harvey ( including IAH) as of noon (Central Time) 25 Aug 2017

UA travel waiver (including IAH) for Harvey as 3PM (Central Time) 24 Aug 2017

Print Wikipost

Travel Waiver: Gulf Coast Tropical Weather (25 Aug - 12 Sept, 2017) - Affects IAH

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31, 2017, 1:50 pm

Programs: UA/*A Gold, Global Entry, Marriott Plat, Hilton+IHG Gold, Hertz PC, DL
probably worthy of its own thread: oscar will personally match up to $1m of UA employee donations to UA's harvey relief fund.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/busine...829-story.html

class act!
goodeats21 and ajGoes like this.
Old Aug 31, 2017, 2:31 pm

Programs: UA Gold, HA Premier, Hertz #1 Gold PC, SBUX Gold
Originally Posted by garkster
Currently your a/c # is 3909, coming in from DEN as flt # 2771 (likely an irrops flt #) on Thursday around 6 PM, prior leg NRT/DEN. Flight is fully booked, meaning likely overbooked by X.

Seems like the a/c won't be an issue (unless the DEN/IAH gets cancelled), but crew is a major variable. All things being equal, a 787 is less likely to get cancelled than other a/c types, but this is uncharted waters (no pun intended).

Good luck.
Either it's an irrops flight and they are only moving crew and aircraft or nobody wants to come to IAH now! It's scheduled on time in a couple minutes but seat map shows a virtually empty plane with one one seat taken in F via an upgrade and one person waiting on standby for basically any seat on the whole plane they would like; only ten booked seats in Y. Sure hope it doesn't cancel last minute, my flight to DEN on the same aircraft tomorrow is completely sold out.

Update: Aircraft en-route!!! Here's hoping they have a crew tomorrow morning...

Last edited by gradsflyer; Aug 31, 2017 at 2:54 pm
Old Aug 31, 2017, 3:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by chavala
Is it true they are not giving refunds on cancelled flights?
Where did you hear that? If they cancel the flight, you can absolutely get a refund.

Originally Posted by gradsflyer
Either it's an irrops flight and they are only moving crew and aircraft or nobody wants to come to IAH now!
Flight 2771 is in the flight number range that they normally use for re-positioning flights. I doubt it carried any revenue passengers.
Old Aug 31, 2017, 4:58 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by jsloan
Where did you hear that? If they cancel the flight, you can absolutely get a refund.
There was an "important notice" post by United on Facebook a couple days ago with hundreds of comments of people complaining (of course).
There were multiple posts saying agents refused since they had non-refundable tickets. I thought it seemed odd, but there were too many people reporting this for it not to be true.
If you want a fun read to see what the "kettles" think of the situation check it out.
(I hate that word but it is apt in this case)
They make Flyertalk sound like a love-fest.

I'm glad to know it's not true!

Last edited by chavala; Aug 31, 2017 at 4:59 pm Reason: ad
Old Aug 31, 2017, 5:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There were multiple posts saying agents refused since they had non-refundable tickets. I thought it seemed odd, but there were too many people reporting this for it not to be true.
My guess would be that people tried to get a refund for flights that were still listed as operating, based on the waiver. YMMV on that one, definitely, but more likely a refusal than not. But if the flight is cancelled, unless you're rebooked within 2 hours of the original departure, the schedule change policy applies.
Old Aug 31, 2017, 7:18 pm

My guess would be that people tried to get a refund for flights that were still listed as operating, based on the waiver. YMMV on that one, definitely, but more likely a refusal than not. But if the flight is cancelled, unless you're rebooked within 2 hours of the original departure, the schedule change policy applies.
Ah yes, you're probably right. It's pretty astounding how many are still complaining about their flights being cancelled, many saying they will never fly UA again. <roll eyes> Don't they see the news?
Old Aug 31, 2017, 7:59 pm

Programs: WN, AA, UA, DL
There was an "important notice" post by United on Facebook a couple days ago with hundreds of comments of people complaining (of course).
That's a painful read. I'd hate to have to deal with some people.

That's my guess too. I read one example of someone who wanted to cancel an October flight that appeared to be for leisure. Sorry. There will still be city there to see in October.
Old Sep 1, 2017, 1:30 am

Programs: DL PM; UA 1K; AA 1MM
Originally Posted by npei
http://www.chicagotribune.com/busine...830-story.html

IAH resumes with 3 flights each to domestic hubs.
Limited regional flights start 9/1.
IAH normally handles 450+ flights per day.

It's a slow ramp up each day starting 9/1 and working through backlog.
1k Agent says just now Cancellations of many hub-to-hub flights extends to 9/5 , after Labor Day holiday, and may only be at 1/3 normal traffic volume for non-hub flights.
I'm super curious about the logistics behind this re-start, for all airlines but especially UA (due to their hub at IAH) and WN (due to HOU). Undoubtedly, and unfortunately, some airline personnel (ground crew, check-in/gate crew, in-flight crew, vendors) have been impacted by the flooding. I know the airlines are working as best they can to get back to 100%, but after all is said and done, and everyone is safe an accounted for, and things are back to normal, I'd love a tick-tock on the re-starts, just out of curiosity of the logistics/ops of this massive impact and how an airline deals with the aftermaths.
Old Sep 1, 2017, 6:40 am
Suspended

Called the 1k desk on my MCO-MSY via IAH flights on 9/11....The agent was more than happy to adjust it by rerouting me through DEN. I've noticed that IAH is starting to get going very slowly but the chances I'd never get to MSY through IAH on 9/11.....She wouldn't adjust my return flight on the 13th
Old Sep 1, 2017, 7:40 am

Programs: UA GOld, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Just called Elite line to cancel a reservation for tomorrow... clearly within the travel waiver. My flight not cancelled, so knew I would not get a refund, but only the ability to use full value within one year of issue.

Agent tried to tell me I would have to pay change fee. remember this is the elite desk. I read her the script off United website. She put me on hold for 5 minutes and finally came back and said I was right.

This is how many days into this and an agent on the elite line doesn't understand the parameters of the travel waiver? Ridiculous.

Also, why doesn't their website allow you to do this and clearly show that you will not be charged change fee within certain parameters and the value of the ticket you have to re-use.

Rant over.
Old Sep 1, 2017, 11:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I found out yesterday that I had to fly across the country on Monday. Between the damages/backlog and Labor Day, UA's availability is just so tight. So, I ended up having to book WN. I can see some probably would stay away from UA due to reliability concerns also.
Old Sep 1, 2017, 11:54 am
Suspended

Programs: Lowest level possible
A couple of days ago a Facebook poster complained that she was unable to choose a seat ahead of time and had to pay to check a roll-aboard bag after buying a Basic Economy ticket on united.com.
Let's just say that quite a few FB posters told her a thing or two about being responsible for her own choices.
Old Sep 1, 2017, 1:46 pm

Programs: UA Gold, HA Premier, Hertz #1 Gold PC, SBUX Gold
Got out to DEN on 1126 on time this morning. Completely full flight with very large number of non-rev UA crew members being re-positioned from IAH to get back into the work flow across the system it seemed. Talked with one pilot sitting next to me who stated that today IAH expects about 100 flights. Flight status monitors around the airport were I would say about 90 percent filled with cancellations still. Many of the crew working the flight (SFO crew who came in last night) were especially compassionate for what everybody had been going through in Houston. Lounge staff at IAH were also especially kind. It's going to take many days to get things back to normal but everyone I interacted with today was extremely kind and attentive and I also made the first gesture of marking sure all the IAH based people I spoke with were also alright in their own homes and property in the aftermath.
Old Sep 1, 2017, 9:29 pm

Programs: UA 1MM
The waiver now extends to 11/15.
Old Sep 1, 2017, 9:47 pm

Originally Posted by comfortablynumb
The waiver now extends to 11/15.
wow!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.