Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Travel Waiver: Gulf Coast Tropical Weather (25 Aug - 12 Sept, 2017) - Affects IAH

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 24, 2017, 1:59 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: DELee
Update: 06 Sept 2017 - Latest waiver posting

Previous waivers:

Update: 30 Aug 2017
Hurricane Harvey continues to affect flights to and from Texas and the Gulf Coast

United flights to and from Texas and the Gulf Coast continue to be affected by Hurricane Harvey. There are now a limited number of flights operating between Houston and other major U.S. airports, but many flights to and from Houston continue to be canceled.

Please check your flight status before you go to the airport, and sign up to receive flight status messages in the event of changes. Also note that road conditions around the airport continue to be poor, so travelers should carefully plan their travel to and from the airport.

If you have an upcoming United flight that includes travel through Houston, we recommend postponing your travel until conditions improve. The Houston area is extremely taxed and may not have the resources to offer hotel and restaurant services to Houston visitors.

Travelers with booked flights to, from or through the Texas and Gulf Coast area can use our travel waiver to change their flight. Please note that we are experiencing a high volume of calls due to the severity of the situation, so we recommend using united.com or the United app.
Update (08/29/17 15:50 CDT):
Booking waiver now extended through 12 September and changes covered through November 15th

FAA Advisory for IAH

Due to WEATHER/ HURRICANE HARVEY, the George Bush Intercontinental/Houston Airport (IAH) was closed as of Aug 28 at 09:38 AM CDT. The date/time when the airport is expected to reopen is Aug 30 at 04:00 PM CDT.
Hurricane Harvey is affecting flights to and from Texas and the Gulf Coast

Due to Hurricane Harvey, United flights to and from Houston Intercontinental are canceled until at least noon on Thursday, August 31, and additional flights to and from Texas and the Gulf Coast may be affected. If you have planned travel, please see our travel waiver below to change your flight. Please note that we are experiencing a high volume of calls, so we recommend using united.com or the United app.
AIRPORT STATUS INFORMATION
provided by the FAA's Air Traffic Control System Command Center
George Bush Intercontinental/Houston Airport (IAH) Real-time Status
Due to WEATHER/ HURRICANE HARVEY, the George Bush Intercontinental/Houston Airport (IAH) was closed as of Aug 27 at 10:24 AM CDT. The date/time when the airport is expected to reopen is Aug 31 at 12:00 PM CDT.
Update (08/28/17 11:15 am EDT): Waiver extended through 05 September and rebooking and changes now covered through 20 September

Update 6PM (Central Time) 27 Aug 2017
IAH closure extend to 7PM 28 August

Due to Hurricane Harvey, United flights to and from Houston Intercontinental are canceled until 7 p.m. on Monday, August 28, and additional flights to and from Texas and the Gulf Coast may be affected. If you have planned travel, please see our travel waiver below to change your flight. Please note that we are experiencing a high volume of calls, so we recommend using united.com or the United app if possible.

Update (08/27/17 12:45 pm EDT): Waiver extended through 31 August and rebooking and changes now covered through 13 September

Posted 27 August 2017 morning

Due to Hurricane Harvey, United flights to and from Houston Intercontinental are canceled until noon on Monday, August 28, and additional flights to and from Texas and the Gulf Coast may be affected. If you have planned travel, please see our travel waiver below to change your flight. Please note that we are experiencing a high volume of calls, so we recommend using united.com or the United app if possible.

Updated UA travel waiver for Harvey ( including IAH) 26 Aug 2017 = rebooking extend to 11 Sept

Updated UA travel waiver for Harvey ( including IAH) as of noon (Central Time) 25 Aug 2017

UA travel waiver (including IAH) for Harvey as 3PM (Central Time) 24 Aug 2017

Print Wikipost

Travel Waiver: Gulf Coast Tropical Weather (25 Aug - 12 Sept, 2017) - Affects IAH

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31, 2017, 12:18 am

Programs: UA MM (recovering former 1K), Marriott Titanium Lifetime
Originally Posted by gradsflyer
Yep, I'm based in IAH (just moved here from HNL on 8/1 and then Harvey comes, great welcome). I'm planning on leaving for the airport if the roads are clear by then around 6am for the 9am flight, so I'll be there early as you suggest to hopefully get on something if not 1126.
Currently your a/c # is 3909, coming in from DEN as flt # 2771 (likely an irrops flt #) on Thursday around 6 PM, prior leg NRT/DEN. Flight is fully booked, meaning likely overbooked by X.

Seems like the a/c won't be an issue (unless the DEN/IAH gets cancelled), but crew is a major variable. All things being equal, a 787 is less likely to get cancelled than other a/c types, but this is uncharted waters (no pun intended).

Good luck.
Old Aug 31, 2017, 12:30 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by bhunt
How would the curfew effect travelers/employees? Would they be exempt?
The citywide curfew will last from midnight until 5 a.m., Mayor Sylvester Turner (D) announced late Tuesday, with exceptions for flood relief volunteers, emergency responders, those commuting to work and those seeking shelter.
Old Aug 31, 2017, 6:18 am

Flying on United through Houston on Sunday from Mexico City to DCA.

Does anyone know if the waiver includes allowing flight change to Dulles (IAD) since it is the same "city"? There's a CDX to IAD direct but the online tool is quoting me $1200 to change.
Old Aug 31, 2017, 6:49 am

Programs: Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Radisson Rewards Gold, Best Western Diamond Select
I am now going to IAH on the first flight to IAH from ewr. I am having major regrets because I was in England and had a Singapore flight scheduled for 8/27, but on 8/26 saw that that day's flight was cancelled so panicked and booked through EWR instead. Needless to say been stuck in New York since Sunday. I am kicking myself because I was staying with family there and wanted to spend more time with them, instead stuck in a hotel near Newark airport for days. Work cancelled obviously but didn't expect that either at the time. Moral of the story in the future if nonstop is cancelled forget it
Old Aug 31, 2017, 6:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by dhaller311

Does anyone know if the waiver includes allowing flight change to Dulles (IAD) since it is the same "city"? There's a CDX to IAD direct but the online tool is quoting me $1200 to change.
The online tool will not allow any airport change for free. This is a common sense request, I would call in and I'd be surprised if you didn't get what you wanted.
Old Aug 31, 2017, 6:53 am

Programs: UA 2MM

I would call in, the same city should allow a change.
Old Aug 31, 2017, 7:09 am

Originally Posted by channa
The online tool will not allow any airport change for free. This is a common sense request, I would call in and I'd be surprised if you didn't get what you wanted.
Thanks. Just called in a got a really unhelpful rep (after the expected hour hold). She said they can move us to IAD flights free of charge, but then the flight I'm staring at in the online change tool (which literally has 15 E+ seats available) wasn't available.

Would they not be giving up Economy Plus seats under the waiver conditions? I asked and she said there were no seats but the online tool clearly lets me switch for $1200. ...?
Old Aug 31, 2017, 8:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks. Just called in a got a really unhelpful rep (after the expected hour hold). She said they can move us to IAD flights free of charge, but then the flight I'm staring at in the online change tool (which literally has 15 E+ seats available) wasn't available.

Would they not be giving up Economy Plus seats under the waiver conditions? I asked and she said there were no seats but the online tool clearly lets me switch for $1200. ...?
Welcome to FT!

Many people do not choose seats in advance, particularly if all that's available is E+, so the seat map is not a reliable indicator of load. In this case, Sunday's flight* is sold out in coach. The $1200 change fee it's showing probably includes an upfare to business class -- although I see a $627 P business class fare, so I don't know where the $1200 comes from.

You can tell it's sold out because if you try to search for a ticket on that flight, and look at the Economy (Flexible) column, it actually shows you a flight in "United Business." (Also, if you activate Expert Mode, you'll see that the flight is booked J3 .. Y0. Y is unrestricted economy class -- a flight that's Y0 is sold out (possibly oversold) in coach.

PS: They would not assign you an E+ seat as part of the waiver, but E+ is not a separate class of service -- it's just a seat assignment. So the problem is that the cabin is full (of people who haven't selected seats), not that there are only E+ seats available.

* UA1567, MEX-IAD. I'm not sure what the "CDX" code is, but you said Mexico City.

Last edited by jsloan; Aug 31, 2017 at 8:10 am Reason: Added PS
Old Aug 31, 2017, 8:36 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Is it true they are not giving refunds on cancelled flights?
Old Aug 31, 2017, 9:56 am

Programs: UA Gold, HA Premier, Hertz #1 Gold PC, SBUX Gold
So it seems they are still running cancellations sweeps even on hub to hub routes through Monday. My return to IAH after this weekend (if I make it out on UA 1126 tomorrow) was cancelled for Monday night when I got the text around 1am last night. Woke up and called in right away and am now re-booked to come back on Tuesday morning. Even into next week hub to hub routes are not safe.
Old Aug 31, 2017, 10:48 am

Programs: UA LT Gold, American Kettle, Hertz #1 Presidents Circle, Marriott LT Platinum
Originally Posted by bhunt
How would the curfew effect travelers/employees? Would they be exempt?
Curfew is midnight to 5am and only applies to the city of Houston. Don't think many flights will be departing during this time frame for a while.

Have not seen anything on whether having legitimate business allows you an exemption.
Old Aug 31, 2017, 11:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
Update

Originally Posted by zrs70
My husband is supposed to fly lax-Tpa on sep 5. He can't leave until after 1230pm, and dies not want a red-eye. The only option is via Iah. What are thoughts with regard to the flight operating by then.
United did, indeed, cancel his Sep 5 IAH-TPA flight. They rebooked him on Delta via ATL, so he is good to do.

And, yes, I checked delta.com to ensure that the ticket was pushed through and that seats are secured!
Old Aug 31, 2017, 11:34 am

Programs: DL PlatMM, BA and Alaska Emerald, HHonors DIA, Accor, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat Amb, UA Silver, AA
Originally Posted by chavala
Is it true they are not giving refunds on cancelled flights?
My data point:
I had a 9/1 MSP-IAH-MSY and a 9/4 return.

The 4th flight (IAH-MSP) on the return was cancelled this morning, and called UAL's general line (no status, got a friendly agent in the Philippines). And according to the agent when at least one flight is cancelled, you ARE eligible for a full refund. I'm super happy to have that happen!
Glad I waited to rebook until soon before leaving, I didn't really need to use the ticket so this was a great solution.
Old Aug 31, 2017, 11:41 am

Programs: UA Premier 1K
Flying SAN to MSY today coming back September 5.

Outbound flights were cancelled on Monday, so we got rebooked through Chicago.

Our flight from IAH to SAN on Tuesday got cancelled last night. Called this morning and got rebooked through San Francisco. At first the agent was hesitant because only full fare economy was available, but she said that she could over ride it and we were both confirmed.
Old Aug 31, 2017, 11:50 am

Programs: UA Lifetime GS 4mm
http://www.chicagotribune.com/busine...830-story.html

IAH resumes with 3 flights each to domestic hubs.
Limited regional flights start 9/1.
IAH normally handles 450+ flights per day.

It's a slow ramp up each day starting 9/1 and working through backlog.
1k Agent says just now Cancellations of many hub-to-hub flights extends to 9/5 , after Labor Day holiday, and may only be at 1/3 normal traffic volume for non-hub flights.

Last edited by npei; Aug 31, 2017 at 12:47 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.