Wiki Posts
Search

SFO to SIN: SQ vs UA. Advice needed

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19, 2017, 8:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT 3MM, DL PM 2MM
SFO to SIN: SQ vs UA. Advice needed

I have a paid J class trip MSP to SIN....looks like via SFO best connection. Two choices. UA or SQ. Given SQ has better service and it's A350 single aisle access. But may pick UA. No lay over in SFO as SQ may require overnite to play it safe for later morning departure to SIN. Better equity miles etc to on UA but not sure?????. Crazy or make sense when you can pick between the two. Thanks
Old Aug 19, 2017, 9:06 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

If you prefer an aisle seat then the direct aisle access factor doesn't really matter, assuming you can get one in the center pair on UA. If you want a window then it might matter, but that also depends whether you care about that or not; I mostly don't.

I wouldn't spend an extra night in SFO just to fly SQ over UA. And I generally find that the "perfect" SQ FAs are more like robots than humans. Which is great if that's what you want, I suppose.
Old Aug 19, 2017, 9:24 am

Programs: UA:1k; MR: PLT; Hilton: Gold
Bear in mind that paid J on SQ still only earns 100% pqm while you'll earn 200% on UA. If you need the PQM then would probably go with UA.

Also, head over to the SQ forums, there are a lot of complaints about the business seat on the 350.
Old Aug 19, 2017, 9:32 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
All else being equal, I would go with SQ, as I'm not a huge fan of the 789 J cabin, the food will be much better, the aircraft will be cleaner, and the service will be very predictable. A couple of things to consider:

- If you're tall, the seat on the SQ 350 may not work for you. Second the recommendation you read the thread on the SQ forum. You'll have much more privacy on SQ.
- People have strongly mixed opinions on the late night vs. early morning arrival in SIN.
- The SQ FAs can definitely be robotic. But the service will be attentive, as opposed to hit or miss on UA.
Old Aug 19, 2017, 2:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
I think there are three arguments in UA's favor here:

- no overnight in SFO
- flight is overnight so saves you a night somewhere (although as Kacee notes, others may strongly disagree)
- more PQM for UA

I think the 789 cabin on UA is just fine, and the higher cabin pressure definitely leads to a better sleep experience. If you can reserve a D/E seat then you essentially have all aisle access anyway.
Old Aug 19, 2017, 2:22 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by findark
I think the 789 cabin on UA is just fine, and the higher cabin pressure definitely leads to a better sleep experience.
But note that the 350 also has the carbon fuselage and the same higher cabin pressurization as the 789, plus only 4 across seating on SQ vs. 6 across on UA.
Old Aug 19, 2017, 2:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
It took me a few years to warm up to SQ's robotic FA . Now, I love flying both SQ and UA for different seasons.

SQ is a great airline and offer great onboard amentity and services. Top notch wine selection and great menu. There is a choice to order a long list of entree choices online if you don't like to menu offered. IFE contents are great with so much more selection than UA. I flew the A350 three times in the past a few weeks on MUC-SiN, MEL-SIN and SIN-HND. All great flights with second to none amenity and services.

However, I dislike its seats. It is nice to look at but uncomfortable to sit and sleep.

I fly UA because of its seats. Great to sleep and I am used to the UA services after flying them for 25 years.

I now maintain GS with UA and PPS with SQ each year and fly enough of them to appreciate the strength and learn to tolerate the deficiencies of each Airlines.

OP should look at the schedule first, and then pick the airlines based on the specific needs (PQD, RDM etc.) and expected experience (food, drinks, IFE, amenity, seats, etc.).
Old Aug 19, 2017, 3:05 pm

Programs: AA PP, OZ *G, Hyatt Expl, Marriott Gold, Lots of Ex-statuses
I've done this route on both. I will prioritize schedule, but otherwise prefer the UA 789 because the seats are better for sleeping. If you're on the shorter side, then go with SQ. In this case though, the UA schedule is better so fly UA - no need to overnight in SFO. The SQ food/IFE is better but UA is fine for both.
Old Aug 19, 2017, 5:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
It took me a few years to warm up to SQ's robotic FA . Now, I love flying both SQ and UA for different seasons.

SQ is a great airline and offer great onboard amentity and services. Top notch wine selection and great menu. There is a choice to order a long list of entree choices online if you don't like to menu offered. IFE contents are great with so much more selection than UA. I flew the A350 three times in the past a few weeks on MUC-SiN, MEL-SIN and SIN-HND. All great flights with second to none amenity and services.

However, I dislike its seats. It is nice to look at but uncomfortable to sit and sleep.

I fly UA because of its seats. Great to sleep and I am used to the UA services after flying them for 25 years.

I now maintain GS with UA and PPS with SQ each year and fly enough of them to appreciate the strength and learn to tolerate the deficiencies of each Airlines.

OP should look at the schedule first, and then pick the airlines based on the specific needs (PQD, RDM etc.) and expected experience (food, drinks, IFE, amenity, seats, etc.).
Currently on SQ from SFO->SIN and I endorse this review ^^ With respect to schedule, interestingly the UA flight leaves at night and thus a bit better for sleeping, the SQ flight departs just before lunch so maybe easier to adjust on arrival? Of course you can always take the SQ midnight flight to HKG, but then you'll have another stop.

I, too, find the seats on UA are better for relaxing. Sleeping is comparable but you don't need an FA to prepare the seat on UA which is a plus. Many times I just doze off and much easier just to press a button than have to go through an involved process every time you want to sack out.

Everyone raves about the SQ food but honestly from SFO I found the SQ menu to be no better than UA - i like bland food and none of the book-the-cook selections appealed. Even after eating, I am sitting here hungry after lunch on SQ! That never happens on UA. And snacks have not yet appeared. (Addendum: the filet served mid-flight (leftover from dinner) was the best I've ever had on a plane - so to be fair some of the SQ meals are better.
However, from SIN the food selection on SQ is 1000% better and looking forward to lobster or lamb.

On the plus side, I am enjoying a fairly private window seat in SQ with aisle access. that is a huge plus and Not an option on UA. SQ also has better FA service and better wines and liquors, but that's not a key component of my selection process. SQ entertainment system is surprisingly better than UA though I don't appreciate the mandatory subtitles.

Finally if EQM and RDM are a factor, you will get 150% more EQM and 400% more RDM with UA (as well as $$ credit toward 1K/GS).

Despite this critique, I would have to agree that the SQ product is mostly better, but in C you do sacrifice the miles if you are a UA elite.

Last edited by Boraxo; Aug 21, 2017 at 6:51 am
Old Aug 20, 2017, 6:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT 3MM, DL PM 2MM
Very much appreciate all the great advice and discussion. I'm going with UA based on the input and most important are: 1) schedule (no SFO overnite); 2) seat; and 3) PQM. Again thanks to all!!!!!
Old Aug 24, 2017, 10:45 pm

Three more factors to consider
(1) If it's your birthday, you can get a cake on SQ. In J, the crew sings to you. Do birthday kids still get wings on UA?
(2) You can get a Singapore sling & Tiger beer on SQ.
(3) Regardless, the SQ lounges at SFO & SIN are options if you're *G. The SATS lounge may not be an option at SIN if you're flying SQ.

Last edited by Long Zhiren; Aug 24, 2017 at 10:50 pm
Old Aug 25, 2017, 7:42 am

No audio selections on UA other than podcasts, while SQ has the most extensive IFE I've ever seen.

Originally Posted by Rowyourboat
I've done this route on both. I will prioritize schedule, but otherwise prefer the UA 789 because the seats are better for sleeping. If you're on the shorter side, then go with SQ. In this case though, the UA schedule is better so fly UA - no need to overnight in SFO. The SQ food/IFE is better but UA is fine for both.
SQ lounges are far superior to SATS ... why would you even bother?

Originally Posted by Long Zhiren
(1) If it's your birthday, you can get a cake on SQ. In J, the crew sings to you. Do birthday kids still get wings on UA?
(3) Regardless, the SQ lounges at SFO & SIN are options if you're *G. The SATS lounge may not be an option at SIN if you're flying SQ.

Last edited by malgudi; Aug 25, 2017 at 11:07 am
Old Aug 25, 2017, 10:06 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Originally Posted by Long Zhiren
Say what you will about UA but if Tiger is all that is offered in SQ, then UA has them beat on the beer count.
Old Aug 25, 2017, 10:46 am

Programs: United Mileage Plus, Hilton Honors, Avis Preferred
I'm opting for UA for that flight purely for requalifiying for GS.
Old Aug 25, 2017, 10:59 am

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by BiWeeklyAccelerator
I'm opting for UA for that flight purely for requalifiying for GS.
Bingo! Last year I flew this route on SQ at least twice in Kris and did indeed enjoy my flight but it definitely cost my GS invite.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.