Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

PSA- If you find business saver space, book it!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17, 2017, 4:05 pm
Original Poster

As I'm sure most of you have experienced this before, I'm kicking myself today for not pulling triggers last night.
Mrs. Genkoopie and I have been thinking of taking a trip to New Zealand for a long time and finally decided April '18 is time to go.

Looking last night at flights and finding sweet award space in business.
UA839-NZ102 LAX-SYD-AKL 04/03/18 70k business all way thru (IN7 I6 if you can believe it)

UA98-NZ722 LAX-MEL-AKL 04/04/18 70k business all way thru (IN3 I2)
and so on through all of April.

Stupidly I told my wife, "let's check out vacation schedules tomorrow then we can book after work!"
Come home today - all business saver space from feb-end of bookable schedule is gone! (Except some asiana flights through ICN but the mrs scoffed at the total flight time).
lesson learned - book now, ask for forgiveness later
wonder if my incessant searching for routes on multiple devices alerted RM they accidentally released hundreds of saver business awards XD
-to waiting
Old Aug 17, 2017, 4:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Genkoopie
I told my wife, "let's check out vacation schedules tomorrow then we can book after work!"

UA's 24-hour cancellation policy is your friend.

Here's hoping they re-open the space you were looking for. ^
Old Aug 17, 2017, 4:12 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jsloan

Even worse in my frenzied state of mind i blew past cancellation fee is a rounding error of dollars so double whammy.
Old Aug 18, 2017, 7:59 pm

Programs: UA MM (recovering former 1K), Marriott Titanium Lifetime
It does change day-to-day, so if you make offerings to the correct deities , hopefully you'll get a good outcome.
Old Aug 18, 2017, 8:08 pm

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
Check back over the next 6-8 days, when I was frantically obsessively checking for my family's summer trip and also a trip to Singapore for my wife and I, there were times when it would go from IN7 to nothing to IN5 to IN9 all in the course of 2-3 days.

I am not even sure it isn't a bug and it goes back and forth for some reason
Old Aug 18, 2017, 8:33 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
More so than the award availability, I'm actually more amazed that IN didn't equal I! That's a rare find.

-FlyerBeek
Old Aug 18, 2017, 8:49 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Hipplewm
Check back over the next 6-8 days, when I was frantically obsessively checking for my family's summer trip and also a trip to Singapore for my wife and I, there were times when it would go from IN7 to nothing to IN5 to IN9 all in the course of 2-3 days.

I am not even sure it isn't a bug and it goes back and forth for some reason
The algorithm can be overly sensitive, so small changes in input (i.e., UA sells a P fare or two) can cause big inventory swings.

I definitely agree with the "keep checking back" advice.
Old Aug 19, 2017, 3:55 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Originally Posted by FlyerBeek
More so than the award availability, I'm actually more amazed that IN didn't equal I! That's a rare find.

-FlyerBeek
In recent months I have seen IN>0 but I=0. Perhaps another ploy to get folks to sign up fo credit cards
Old Aug 19, 2017, 4:15 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Yes, I've also had space disappear and then re-appear 12-24 hours later.
Old Aug 19, 2017, 7:00 am

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, HH Diamond, Marriott 'clink clink' Titanium
Borrow / use a different device and/or IP address. I normally use my +1's device to research travel.
Old Aug 19, 2017, 7:16 am

Programs: UA peon (+decades 1K), AA Exec Plt

when I have cancelled an I or an O to change to another flight, if the bucket re-opened it was after 24 hours if at all.
YNNV
Old Aug 19, 2017, 9:37 am

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott/SPG/Hilton Gold, PreCheck + Clear
Originally Posted by Dublin_rfk
Borrow / use a different device and/or IP address. I normally use my +1's device to research travel.
If you're suggesting that UA's IT system records individual award searches, then causes those specific awards to become unavailable to specific customers before they're booked in some nefarious plot to sow frustration and keep miles from being redeemed ... no. That is a myth.

Saver award inventory is constantly changing due to both revenue management and open awards being scooped up. I'm personally waiting for a specific saver J *A SFO>DEL itinerary to open up for a date this fall, so I'm checking regularly. I've seen itineraries literally change by the minute.

UA is not evil. People just like using their miles.

Last edited by RandomBaritone; Aug 19, 2017 at 10:22 am Reason: Typo
Old Aug 19, 2017, 10:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
In recent months I have seen IN>0 but I=0. Perhaps another ploy to get folks to sign up fo credit cards
I don't believe that Chase cardmembers are eligible for IN/JN, just XN/YN. And XN isn't even a published benefit, last that I saw.

Originally Posted by RandomBaritone
If you're suggesting that UA's IT system records individual award searches, then causes those specific awards to become unavailable to specific customers before they're booked in some nefarious plot to sew frustration and keep miles from being redeemed ... no. That is a myth.

Saver award inventory is constantly changing due to both revenue management and open awards being scooped up. I'm personally waiting for a specific saver J *A SFO>DEL itinerary to open up for a date this fall, so I'm checking regularly. I've seen itineraries literally change by the minute.

UA is not evil. People just like using their miles.
Right. It doesn't happen on paid itineraries either. For one thing, they publish the inventory to multiple sites. It's not really possible to return different inventory to different people, and, if they tried, there'd be a 50-page thread on the board with people posting different examples.
Old Aug 19, 2017, 11:03 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
I don't believe that Chase cardmembers are eligible for IN/JN, just XN/YN. And XN isn't even a published benefit, last that I saw.
IN is definitely for Chase MP cardholders. Pretty sure JN is as well.
Old Aug 19, 2017, 11:56 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
IN is definitely for Chase MP cardholders. ...
Sure about that? -- it has not been reported before.
Thought this was just Plat or higher benefit

Pretty sure JN is as well.
This is part of the last seat guarantee

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.