Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Exit Row With Underage Child in Reservation

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Exit Row With Underage Child in Reservation

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14, 2017, 4:51 pm

Programs: 3 MMer
Originally Posted by FlyfromDenver
When I've been in the exit row, they have often been my seat mates. I don't have an issue with that. I don't have an issue with them always having the exit rows. I think it's something that shouldn't be about status or payment. It should be about safety.

The main reason that they're sitting next to you in an exit row is because these seats are normally given out last, and since they are deadheading they get them.

Btw, as far as I'm concerned it's ALL ABOUT STATUS, and who PAYS MANY TIMES OVER & OVER to fly on this airline. I can open that door just as fast as a petite or overweight f/a, if I need to!
Old Aug 14, 2017, 6:13 pm
Suspended

Programs: Enrich Sapphire. Kris Flyer Silver.Le Club Accorhotels,Starwood.
Originally Posted by Two Bee
The main reason that they're sitting next to you in an exit row is because these seats are normally given out last, and since they are deadheading they get them.

Btw, as far as I'm concerned it's ALL ABOUT STATUS, and who PAYS MANY TIMES OVER & OVER to fly on this airline. I can open that door just as fast as a petite or overweight f/a, if I need to!
Yes, yes...but the question will be can you do so under duress, pressure and stress in the event of a dramatic and catastrophic incident in which lives are at risk. Everyone say's I can do this/do that but when they are in the middle of an emergency, people PANIC and reactions slow down.

That is the reality.

I also do not agree with underaged passengers being seated in the emergency row. It should be 18 and over. Airlines are asking children and teenagers to take a massive amount of responsibility by sitting in emergency seat rows which they should not be put under. An adult should be seated there.

Last edited by wolf72; Aug 14, 2017 at 6:50 pm
Old Aug 14, 2017, 6:15 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Star Alliance Gold, Hilton Honors Gold, JetSmarter, Global Entry, CLEAR
Originally Posted by TWA Guy
Can we choose exit row seats for those 15 and over and non-exit row for under 15 if on the same reservation? American wouldn't let me sit with my son (15yo) in the exit row and my wife and daughter (12yo) sit elsewhere since we were on the same reservation.
Unfortunately not. I believe now you must be 18 years or older to sit in the exit row
Old Aug 14, 2017, 7:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by mike.macrone
Unfortunately not. I believe now you must be 18 years or older to sit in the exit row
This is not correct for any flights operating under US authority, which includes all UA departures.
Old Aug 14, 2017, 8:09 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by mike.macrone
The FAA in their "infinite wisdom" have lowered it to a crazy 15 years old.
Old Aug 14, 2017, 8:13 pm

Originally Posted by wolf72
It has been 15 for more than a decade.

Also, the FAA has lowered, not have lowered. The FAA is a singular object.
Old Aug 14, 2017, 8:16 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by wolf72
It has been 15 for decades in the USA. Elsewhere is lower or some countries and higher in others.

Note this discussion has been ongoing on FT for decades
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...t-row-new.html (2003)
Old Aug 14, 2017, 8:20 pm

Programs: Fomerly UA 1K, now Gold... next year, who knows?
Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
I agree that 12/13/14 are not small children.
+1

Our 12 year old daughter is almost the exact same height and weight as her 54 year old mother.

We often travel with another family, and their 12 year old son is 5' 11" and 175 lbs. Both parents are very tall.
Old Aug 14, 2017, 8:38 pm

Originally Posted by Phil Level
Our 12 year old daughter is almost the exact same height and weight as her 54 year old mother.
"Small" doesn't only refer to physical height/weight in this context.
Old Aug 14, 2017, 8:46 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Phil Level
+1

We often travel with another family, and their 12 year old son is 5' 11" and 175 lbs. Both parents are very tall.
So, same height/same weight as her mother means she is mature and capable of responding to an emergency and to react as would be expected in opening the emergency doors in the event of a crash or the need for an emergency evacuation?

Crazy.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 10:54 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by jsloan
... Having said all of this, if this thread makes its way around United, somebody is in for some pretty serious retraining. The "no children in the exit row" requirement isn't a United rule; it's an FAA rule (14 CFR 121.585 (b)(2)). There aren't any exceptions for athletic kids, gymnasts or otherwise; being physically able to open the exit is only one of the requirements. I can't imagine that the FAA would take too kindly upon United knowingly and intentionally violating this rule. ...
I don't read that section as United having violated any hard-and-fast FAA rule. The way I read it, carriers have the discretion to put kids under 15 in an exit row:

(b) No certificate holder may seat a person in a seat affected by this section if the certificate holder determines that it is likely that the person would be unable to perform one or more of the applicable functions listed in paragraph (d) of this section because -

[...]

(2) The person is less than 15 years of age or lacks the capacity to perform one or more of the applicable functions listed in paragraph (d) of this section without the assistance of an adult companion, parent, or other relative;
The "or" I bolded reads, to me, like the FAA is giving airlines the ability to discriminate, in a sense, against kids under 15 but isn't requiring that no one under 15 ever sit in an exit row.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Aug 20, 2018 at 12:29 am Reason: move from another thread
Old Aug 19, 2018, 11:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by joe_miami
The "or" I bolded reads, to me, like the FAA is giving airlines the ability to discriminate, in a sense, against kids under 15 but isn't requiring that no one under 15 ever sit in an exit row.
Even if your interpretation is correct -- I see where you're coming from, but I'm not sure I agree -- it's moot, as section (n) then requires that each certificate holder submit a plan to the FAA to indicate how they will comply with these rules, which then become binding. Between the phrase "identified by the words 'no children in this row'" in the safety briefing to the seating FAQs on United's website ("The government requires any passengers seated in an exit row to be 15 years of age or older..."), it's clear that United's policy includes the age restriction, even if the FAA doesn't explicitly mandate it.

Thus, UA's failure to live up to its own rules becomes an FAA violation even if the FAA would have allowed a policy that allowed sufficiently independent and physically capable 13-year-olds to sit in the exit rows.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 11:15 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold
Perhaps, but United falsely claiming that the FAA requires something that it actually doesn't require isn't likely to trigger FAA enforcement of the bogus FAA "rule."

The reality is, exit rows often go out empty. There's no real difference between a 13-year-old sitting with a parent in an exit row or a 13-year-old sitting one row ahead or behind an empty exit row and then being the first into the exit row in the case of an emergency. If having adults in the exit row was so important from a safety standpoint, the airlines would be required to have at least one adult in each exit row before takeoff.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 11:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Perhaps, but United falsely claiming that the FAA requires something that it actually doesn't require isn't likely to trigger FAA enforcement of the bogus FAA "rule."
The FAA requires that UA follow its own exit-row procedures. If the OP's story is accurate, this is a cut-and-dried violation knowingly entered into by a UA employee. You can argue technicalities all you want, but this violates both the spirit and the letter of the regulation.

The reality is, exit rows often go out empty. There's no real difference between a 13-year-old sitting with a parent in an exit row or a 13-year-old sitting one row ahead or behind an empty exit row and then being the first into the exit row in the case of an emergency. If having adults in the exit row was so important from a safety standpoint, the airlines would be required to have at least one adult in each exit row before takeoff.
"Exit rows often go out empty?" Not on a US carrier – maybe on foreign carriers where you're required to put your bag into the overhead. Regardless, not only is "no child may be in the nearest occupied seat to the exit row" a difficult rule to enforce, there's a meaningful difference. In your hypothetical, the passenger isn't blocking access to the exit while taking care of the child. Someone can come from one row further away and open the exit if necessary.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 11:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
An empty exit row also means that a crew member can access the exit without obstruction.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.