Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Exit Row With Underage Child in Reservation

Exit Row With Underage Child in Reservation

Old Aug 14, 2017, 10:30 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by TWA Guy
Just to add another wrinkle - my wife will be sitting with the 13yo one row in front of us...so me and the 15yo in exit row on E145 and then wife and 13yo one row ahead
You are not eligible per the FAR and per the airline's published rules.
ajGoes likes this.
Old Aug 14, 2017, 10:40 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus
Originally Posted by TWA Guy
Just to add another wrinkle - my wife will be sitting with the 13yo one row in front of us...so me and the 15yo in exit row on E145 and then wife and 13yo one row ahead
Stretch your imagination and put yourself in the following scenario. Your family is seated as you describe. The flight goes fine until, on landing, the airplane strikes another plane that has intruded onto the runway. The cabin begins to fill with smoke as the pilot brings the severely damaged plane to a halt.

FAs begin barking instructions, focusing on passengers in exit rows. "You there! Open the exit door over the left wing, throw it out onto the wing, and step outside right now!"

You're the one who has to follow these instructions. Can you leave your wife and 13-year-old in the airplane?

Last edited by ajGoes; Aug 14, 2017 at 10:49 am
Old Aug 14, 2017, 11:38 am

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Originally Posted by exwannabe
So here are the 2 questions I have to you.

A) When the kid was 8, if there was a true emergency and you were instructed to open the door and exit, would you do so leaving the kid behind?

B) Can you really expect an airline to assume parents, in general, would follow the instruction to exit?

Do you realize how much it could delay exiting of the parent at the emergency exit decides they need get the kid?
At 8 he was sitting with me. At 12 he would sitting in the seat immediately behind me. Not three rows away. I know he would follow the directions to exit the plane - he was 12 and understood the need to follow directions in an emergency.

On the basis you are stating then on school excursions if there is an emergency evacuation from a bus you would have the same issues and I can assure you that at 12/13/14 no child wishes to be anywhere near their parent when other kids were around. To answer your other question, yes I would act in the interest of all.

FWIW - when he was 14, on non-US flights (as noted above) we would both sit in the exit row.

Originally Posted by ajGoes
Stretch your imagination and put yourself in the following scenario. Your family is seated as you describe. The flight goes fine until, on landing, the airplane strikes another plane that has intruded onto the runway. The cabin begins to fill with smoke as the pilot brings the severely damaged plane to a halt.

FAs begin barking instructions, focusing on passengers in exit rows. "You there! Open the exit door over the left wing, throw it out onto the wing, and step outside right now!"

You're the one who has to follow these instructions. Can you leave your wife and 13-year-old in the airplane?
Why would be not trust his wife to be responsible for the 13 year old?

Your argument then must go when families are seating in different rows all through the plane, then instead of making an orderly exit they will try to get to the other family members.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Aug 14, 2017 at 11:52 am Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member; please use multi-quote
Old Aug 14, 2017, 11:41 am

Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
Why would be not trust his wife to be responsible for the 13 year old?

Your argument then must go when families are seating in different rows all through the plane, then instead of making an orderly exit they will try to get to the other family members.
He could be distracted by concern for both his wife and his daughter. Most fathers would find it extremely difficult to flee to safety while leaving their family in peril.
Old Aug 14, 2017, 11:47 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by ajGoes
Stretch your imagination and put yourself in the following scenario.
Why bother with make believe? UA's policy and the FAA regulations say it is a no-go.
Two Bee likes this.
Old Aug 14, 2017, 11:51 am

Originally Posted by sbm12
Why bother with make believe? UA's policy and the FAA regulations say it is a no-go.
To encourage people not to skirt the rule.
Old Aug 14, 2017, 12:10 pm

Originally Posted by FlyfromDenver
My opinion is that first responders and military should have preference for the exit rows if the concern is how people would behave in an emergency.
+1

As someone who enjoys the extra room in the exit row, I would happily have this rule for uniformed military personnel.
Old Aug 14, 2017, 12:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

First off, it sounds like UA has the same policy as AA,
which makes the OP ineligible for the exit row if he's traveling with an ineligible passenger.

Originally Posted by 1120
The gentleman in the aisle seat was recovering from a recent knee replacement and had minimal mobility. We would have been fine in an evacuation, but the folks behind him would not. In a perfect world, they would verify that pax in the exit row are physically capable of lifting and removing the door.

I realize that won't happen any time soon.
So where should the disabled (temporary or permanently) sit in order to "stay out of everyone's way" while all the able-bodied passengers evacuate?

Assuming he had hands and arms and normal upper-body strength and motion, he may have been capable of opening the door. That would have been required had something happened to you and your wife that prevented you from opening the door.

You mentioned that you and your wife would have been fine, but that passengers behind him "would not." Why is that? Is it that he would have held up the evacuation because of his slow movement? That's the case with every passenger who has limited mobility. Should they be seated in seats that are likely to be the last passengers to get out so that they don't impede the progress of the able-bodied?

In the aisle seat, he was about 40 inches from the hatch. Even if he was slower than normal, it doesn't take very long to move 40 inches.
Old Aug 14, 2017, 12:24 pm

Originally Posted by Two Bee
Here's United's popup;... [LIST][*]Be at least 15 years of age and able to perform all of the functions listed below without assistance.[*]Not be traveling with: a customer who requires special care, such as a small child; __________________________________________________ _________
I suppose the real question would be who determines who is a small child and who gets to determine whether a 14 y/o kid is too small? My feeling is that children 12/13/14 would not be considered as SMALL, but then there are F/A's that make their own rules, don't ya know!!!
[/B]
I agree that 12/13/14 are not small children.

As for the 15 cut-off it could be lower if the 12/13/14 year old is strong enough but most of them have not yet developed the muscles to remove the door in an emergency, and have probably not yet developed the height such that adults in an emergency may try to trample them in getting the door removed. So I understand the 15 year old cut-off.

So OP should be fine based on the UA rules, as I understand them.
Old Aug 14, 2017, 2:56 pm

Programs: UA-GS 1MM), Hertz Pres Circle, Starriott Titanium)
Originally Posted by FWAAA
First off, it sounds like UA has the same policy as AA,
which makes the OP ineligible for the exit row if he's traveling with an ineligible passenger.

So where should the disabled (temporary or permanently) sit in order to "stay out of everyone's way" while all the able-bodied passengers evacuate?

Assuming he had hands and arms and normal upper-body strength and motion, he may have been capable of opening the door. That would have been required had something happened to you and your wife that prevented you from opening the door.

You mentioned that you and your wife would have been fine, but that passengers behind him "would not." Why is that? Is it that he would have held up the evacuation because of his slow movement? That's the case with every passenger who has limited mobility. Should they be seated in seats that are likely to be the last passengers to get out so that they don't impede the progress of the able-bodied?

In the aisle seat, he was about 40 inches from the hatch. Even if he was slower than normal, it doesn't take very long to move 40 inches.
Whenever I've been seated in an exit row, they ask me if I'm willing AND able to ASSIST in an evacuation.

While there may be disabled people who would be perfectly able to help AND assist... I doubt they are the same folks taking advantage of the extra time to board.

IMO, those two conditions should be mutually exclusive. You are either fit enough to help in an evacuation (and board like everyone else), or too infirm for both and need extra time.
Old Aug 14, 2017, 3:09 pm

Programs: Nexus/GE, UA/MPG, Bonvoy Tit, LTP
Originally Posted by FWAAA

As somebody who frequently used to travel with a disabled daughter ( unable to walk at all) I was sometimes briefed by the FA that regulations required us to stay seated until all other passengers were out of the way in the event of an evacuation. More often than not we wouldn't get any briefing, depending upon how efficient the crew was. On more than one occasion, however, the briefing was followed by a wink and a quiet " and you're not going to do that are you?". We were always in window and middle seats because if not we would be unable to easily get out of the way for a window passenger to get out for the washroom etc.

The rule, whether unwritten (or written I really don't know) was First On Last Off. What would have really happened had an emergency ever occurred is unknown but material for many parental nightmares nonetheless.
Old Aug 14, 2017, 3:14 pm

Programs: Continental OnePass Platinum
Once several years ago on a UA flight I was in an exit row seat, with my wife and son a few rows away (he was maybe 5 years old at the time). When the FA realized that my son was on the same plane, I was booted from the exit row. The explanation given: in an emergency, they want to be sure my first thought was following crew instructions, and not making sure my son was safe.

This sounded reasonable, and I've never tried to book an exit row seat with my son on the plane again.

I don't think it would matter wether a child was 5 or 12; a parent's first thought in an emergency is going to be the child's well being. It'd make a parent of an underage child a pretty poor steward of the emergency exit.
ajGoes likes this.
Old Aug 14, 2017, 3:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FlyfromDenver
My opinion is that first responders and military should have preference for the exit rows if the concern is how people would behave in an emergency.
Given that criterion, wouldn't deadheading and/or commuting airline crew (any airline) be even better prepared to 'man' (or 'woman') the exit row in an emergency?
Old Aug 14, 2017, 3:48 pm

Programs: 3 MMer
Originally Posted by kale73
Given that criterion, wouldn't deadheading and/or commuting airline crew (any airline) be even better prepared to 'man' (or 'woman') the exit row in an emergency?
... perhaps, but I'm really not prepared to give up 21C to any of them!
Old Aug 14, 2017, 4:32 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, MP 1K, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by kale73
When I've been in the exit row, they have often been my seat mates. I don't have an issue with that. I don't have an issue with them always having the exit rows. I think it's something that shouldn't be about status or payment. It should be about safety.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.