Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United 747 Farewell & Remembrances Master Thread

United 747 Farewell & Remembrances Master Thread

Old Sep 22, 2017, 10:40 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Seems a bit silly causing a stink when you're on the last regularly scheduled 747 flight because you feel slighted that there are a few COMMEMORATIVE after that. I mean if you want to get technical the last flight will be when they send it to the desert graveyard.
Old Sep 22, 2017, 11:30 am

Programs: UA Silver, AA, WN, DL
Originally Posted by BThumme
As another data point, just got a call from United (1-800-864-8331) (I'm 1K) informing me that 892 wouldn't be the last flight and they would offer me a full refund. I'm actually on a price lock ICN-SFO-ORD so haven't actually made the booking and not out anything yet other then the $9 fare lock. So they are doing this, and for those of you who feel duped by UA, you have the option to get your money back.
More like they have a huge demand for that flight, and they can likely sell it for more than what most people already paid, so they would like to "offer" you a refund and resell it for a lot more.

What will they give in exchange? A guaranteed seat in SFO-HNL at decent price?

Those of us who are true 747 fans/aviation geeks will want to fly the 747 no matter what, so it's not like it changes anything (unless the goal is to be on the LAST scheduled 747 commercial flight).
Old Sep 22, 2017, 11:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
More shots from United - around and inside the 747

Again these are United's.

David
Attached Images         
greg99 likes this.
Old Sep 22, 2017, 12:18 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Formerly Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by luv2ctheworld
More like they have a huge demand for that flight, and they can likely sell it for more than what most people already paid, so they would like to "offer" you a refund and resell it for a lot more.

Those of us who are true 747 fans/aviation geeks will want to fly the 747 no matter what, so it's not like it changes anything (unless the goal is to be on the LAST scheduled 747 commercial flight).
I didn't actually have a full paid reservation for the last ICN-SFO flight, only a fare lock, so I don't think there is really any malicious intent. Actually the opposite - lots of people backing out of it now. I was lucky enough to get a YN award on SFO-HNL so I'm good there.
Old Sep 22, 2017, 12:21 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2Millon Mile Flyer, IC Diamond Royal Ambassador Inner Circle, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by luv2ctheworld

I just got the call from Customer Care this morning. The agent said management got wind of the customer concerns and is trying to avoid any misunderstanding. None of the others she'd spoken with had expressed interest in rebooking, but she said they'd look into the possibility of a waitlist for the ICN-SFO pax.

As for demand, it looks like there are still plenty of seats in Y for ICN-SFO and I've noticed F and C inventory coming and going since Monday.

Update: I took UA up on their offer and cancelled ICN-SFO on the 29th of October. Looks like a fair amount of previously sold out J inventory is opening up for anyone interested.

Last edited by PremExecSNA; Sep 24, 2017 at 10:39 am Reason: Updated information
Old Sep 22, 2017, 1:20 pm

Not sure why frustration is mounting regarding the ICN flight.

Wouldn't you want to be on the 747-400's last scheduled 13-hour long international, trans-pacific crossing? I don't get it...
Old Sep 22, 2017, 1:20 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Accor Plat, Htz PC, Natl ExEm, other random status
Originally Posted by DELee
Again these are United's.

David
Where did UA post the pics?

Thanks!
Old Sep 22, 2017, 2:42 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA, WN, DL
Originally Posted by BThumme
I didn't actually have a full paid reservation for the last ICN-SFO flight, only a fare lock, so I don't think there is really any malicious intent. Actually the opposite - lots of people backing out of it now. I was lucky enough to get a YN award on SFO-HNL so I'm good there.
Originally Posted by PremExecSNA
I just got the call from Customer Care this morning. The agent said management got wind of the customer concerns and is trying to avoid any misunderstanding. None of the others she'd spoken with had expressed interest in rebooking, but she said they'd look into the possibility of a waitlist for the ICN-SFO pax.

As for demand, it looks like there are still plenty of seats in Y for ICN-SFO and I've noticed F and C inventory coming and going since Monday.
That's nice of them...

Now, if my 9/29 SFO-PVG flight goes MX or CX, I'm going to flip out (given I booked this back in Feb).
Old Sep 22, 2017, 2:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by greg99
Where did UA post the pics?

Thanks!
image.salescomm.united.com

David
Old Sep 22, 2017, 2:56 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus, American AAdvantage, Hilton Honors, SPG
Originally Posted by PremExecSNA
The general concern here is, UA failed the communications test, big time. Those of us who love aviation and know the history of this airline and the 747 made a decision based on the best information available. All the major blogs predicted ICN-SFO was it. The BOB menu cover in the seat back this month clearly states the flights end in October. I, and apparently many others reached out to UA for information with no results. If there was any question about customer interest, the impromptu ORD-SFO trip last month should have been a heads up. So, if we "jumped the gun," I plead guilty. I do however think this shows a major blind spot in UA corporate communications and customer relations.
Agreed, it really isn't sour grapes on my part. I think it's phenomenal that UA is doing something special to send the 747 off in style, so kudos for that and congrats to the folks who were able to scramble last minute and get seats on UA#747. To me, the issue is one of communication and customer service. UA knew that lots of fans specifically booked ICN-SFO because all of the limited info given pointed to this as the last flight. Reaching out to us (finally got a call today, four days later) is a decent gesture but I think it would have been more thoughtful and meaningful to reach out to people before the newly crowned last 747 flight was sold out. For me it's not about the money, it's about the experience so a refund doesn't mean a great deal. UA's 747 plans sound fantastic, the back end customer service and follow through were pretty abysmal.
Old Sep 22, 2017, 3:36 pm

Originally Posted by DELee
image.salescomm.united.com

David
Weird - I can't access it. Are you an agency with login access to some website different from jetstream.united.com?
Old Sep 22, 2017, 3:52 pm

Originally Posted by twindocstravel
Agreed, it really isn't sour grapes on my part. I think it's phenomenal that UA is doing something special to send the 747 off in style, so kudos for that and congrats to the folks who were able to scramble last minute and get seats on UA#747. To me, the issue is one of communication and customer service. UA knew that lots of fans specifically booked ICN-SFO because all of the limited info given pointed to this as the last flight. Reaching out to us (finally got a call today, four days later) is a decent gesture but I think it would have been more thoughtful and meaningful to reach out to people before the newly crowned last 747 flight was sold out. For me it's not about the money, it's about the experience so a refund doesn't mean a great deal. UA's 747 plans sound fantastic, the back end customer service and follow through were pretty abysmal.
I was booked on the ICN flight under the expectation that they'd do something special for the last regularly scheduled flight. I managed to get a seat on the HNL flight so was able to cancel my farelock on the ICN flight.

If I hadn't been able to get on HNL, I probably still would have taken the ICN flight to have one last MR to Asia, like so many I did to SIN (and ICN and Gimpo) over the years, even though it would be lacking all the hoopla.

If I had unlimited time, I'd probably still do the ICN run for old times' sake.
Old Sep 22, 2017, 4:14 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by greg99
I was booked on the ICN flight under the expectation that they'd do something special for the last regularly scheduled flight. ....
This is the core problem, an expectation based on no statements from UA.

UA never promoted the ICN flight as the LAST commercial flight, folks figured that out themselves and had an expectation (build on some past experiences) that it might be a "special" flight. There were public statements and rumors of some special send-off -- but no statements that was to be the ICN-SFO flight.

As now appears UA has gotten wind that some customers had these expectations and UA is a least offering them an option to cancel.

UA, once it decided to announce the SFO-HNL could reserve space for those that had booked ICN-SFO -- that initially would have to be the entire plane. And there would have been screams from other why they were being locked out. The available space for SFO-HNL sold out in an hour -- clearly speaking to a huge demand. But there will only be one last commercial flight and SO-HNL is the only one UA has labeled as the last commercial flight.

Was it unreasonable to assume ICN-SFO was going to be the "last commercial" flight -- no but it was a speculation on the customers part, not being misled by UA. I guess you could blame UA for not thinking about the customer speculation but that is a stretch in my mind.
Old Sep 22, 2017, 4:40 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Just flew ICN-SFO had seat 3H. Will probably be my last 747 flight ever. Sad in some ways but the equipment, to be kind, is getting a little long in the tooth. Many memories on this jet over my life. Some I can't even post... LOL!
Old Sep 22, 2017, 4:54 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM / AA PP, Marriott Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by tuolumne
Not sure why frustration is mounting regarding the ICN flight.

Wouldn't you want to be on the 747-400's last scheduled 13-hour long international, trans-pacific crossing? I don't get it...
Really? Come on, think about it: many of us figured UA was going to make that last flight special - like they are doing with special menus, uniforms, etc - but they slipped in a different FINAL FINAL flight. So yeah, I will still be on the ICNSFO flight as last *regularly* scheduled flight, but quite peeved I was not contacted BEFORE the announcement of the SFOHNL flight. They left me a voicemail yesterday, only a few days too late! However it was more of an FYI - did not offer a resolution.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.